Cracking the Code - What Study Abroad Colleges Expect From Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 09/06/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Cracking the Code: What Study Abroad Colleges Expect from Indian Students

Every year, many Indian students apply to colleges and universities based in foreign countries. However, only a few of them realize their dream of studying abroad. The reason behind this is that most students are not aware of what these colleges expect from them.

Cracking the Code - What Study Abroad Colleges Expect From Indian Students

What are the Mandatory Skills/Qualifications for International Students

An Indian student will get admission to a foreign college or university only if they are found to have all the skills and qualifications that an individual studying in that institution needs to have. While possessing certain skills and qualifications are mandatory, some institutions could have some additional requirements as well.

Language and Communication

When an Indian student applies to a foreign university, one of the first things the institution wants to know is whether they have strong language skills or not. An Indian applicant might have received their primary and secondary language in a particular language. However, when they go abroad, they must adapt to the language used for communication there.

If a student plans to apply for a course in an American university, they are expected to have a good command of the English language. Apart from being good at the official language of the country, they are planning to study in, students must also work towards sharpening their communication skills.

Problem-Solving

For a student, moving to a country they are unfamiliar with for a couple of years is a big step. Before a student plans to study abroad, they should prepare themselves to deal with several challenges of different kinds. Problem-solving skills will help a student greatly in the years they spend in a foreign university.

When a student deals with a problem on a personal or professional level on their home turf, they will immediately find many people supporting and helping them resolve the issue. That would not be the case in a foreign land, especially in the initial days. Speaking to individuals who have studied abroad would help in getting some important tips in this regard.

Adapting

Before applying to a foreign university, a student must think hard and figure out how well they adapt to a new surrounding or environment. If they conclude they are not good at adapting, they should reconsider their decision to study abroad. A student’s inability to adapt will be a major hindrance in living and studying abroad.   

Before a student moves to another country to study further, they should research the cultural ethos, economic trends, social norms, dietary preferences, and a few other factors pertaining to the country. When a student is mentally strong and has a decent amount of knowledge about the country they will be studying in, they wouldn’t face many issues.

Time Management

Time management is one skill that individuals studying abroad can use. When a student reaches a foreign country, they could feel a little overwhelmed. Soon enough, the classes will start, and they will have to juggle different things. To save themselves from any hassle or confusion, they should plan things in advance.

While students would spend several hours in the university, they would also have to make time for important tasks like cooking their meals, doing their laundry, cleaning their rooms, etc. If students fail to manage their time properly, they will find it difficult to balance carrying out their educational duties and fulfilling their personal responsibilities.

Confidence

Confidence is one quality that a student would need to have to shine in a foreign land and university. Many times, Indian students who go to study abroad feel overwhelmed by many things around them. The more confident a student is, the easier it will be for them to deal with various situations in a new environment.

Stepping out of their comfort zone and studying in an environment where everything looks unfamiliar could be daunting at first. In such times, confidence would prove to be the best friend to a student. Whether a student plans to study in one of the universities in Switzerland or opt for a Germany study abroad, they need to appear confident and self-assured.

English Language Proficiency and TOEFL/IELTS Scores

One of the most basic prerequisites for studying in a foreign university is appearing for an English proficiency test. Two of the most popular English language proficiency tests a student can appear for are the Test of English as a Foreign Language or TOEFL and the International English Language Testing System or IELTS.

Since these are two different examinations, they are differently structured as well. While TOEFL primarily features multiple-choice questions, students can expect to come across questions of different varieties or forms in IELTS. The duration of an IELTS exam is shorter than a TOEFL exam.

Universities considering a TOEFL score expect the student to have a particular iBT or internet-based test score. Most US-based universities accept an iBT score. The TOEFL iBT test is divided into sections like reading, listening, and speaking. Students are scored on a scale of 0-30 on each of these skills.

In a reading test, a student scoring between 22 and 30 will be said to have done well. A medium score ranges from 15 to 21. Anything between a 0 and a 14 is said to be a low score. A high score in a listening test is between 22 and 30. 14 – 22 is the medium score range. A student getting 13 or fewer marks would be registered as a low score.

Regarding the speaking test, 26 and above is said to be a good score. If the student scores between 18 and 25, it will be considered a good score. A student scoring between 10 and 17 will be said to have ‘limited’ English proficiency skills. A student, who scores between 0 and 16, will be considered to be weak.

A student, who wants to study abroad, would be expected to write English properly. A student, who scores between 24 and 30, would increase their chances of studying abroad exponentially. A score between 17 and 23 would be said to be fair. A 1-16 score, on the other hand, would exhibit limited English proficiency.

The IELTS test is considered very important in universities based in Europe and Canada. The students receive a band from 0 to 9 in this test. If a student receives a Band 9, they would be considered to have a solid command of English. Getting a Band 9 in IELTS is equivalent to scoring between 118 and 120 in a TOEFL test.

Standardized Test Scores (SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT) 

After a student decides to study abroad, they would come across terms like SAT, ACT, GRE, and GMAT. These terms represent the different exams a student must appear for to increase their chances of studying in a foreign university.

SAT Subject Test can be best described as an entrance exam that several foreign universities take into account to make decisions about students' admission. It has been designed as a multiple-choice test that the college authorities put together and administered.

An SAT score gives educational institutions an idea about how prepared a student is to be enrolled in a particular course. It also offers them a common data point that can be used by the authorities while going through an applicant’s credentials.

ACT is an entrance exam with four sections: English, Mathematics, Science and Reading. While an ACT exam lasts 2 hours and 55 minutes, 40 minutes could be added to it if the student is appearing for a writing test as well. The maximum score an applicant can score in an ACT exam is 36.

Suppose a student is planning to apply to universities in Australia for international students. In that case, they should be ready to submit a GTE or Genuine Temporary Entrant form which Australian universities give a lot of importance. A GTE form is designed to determine whether an individual is genuinely planning to come to Australia to pursue a course seriously or has other intentions.

Many individuals went to Australia with a student visa, didn’t pursue their education seriously, and started doing some random jobs in the country. To ensure such things don’t happen, submitting the GTE form has been made mandatory to procure an Australian study visa.

Before checking out MBA in Germany cost, students must prepare for the GMAT test. The Graduate Management Admission Test or GMAT is a computer-adaptive test that determines the applicant's analytical writing, quantitative, reading and verbal skills.

If a student wishes to apply for a graduate management program, they must appear for a GMAT test. Without giving a GMAT test, an Indian student cannot even consider the possibility of getting into a business school in the US or doing a business management course at Norway top universities.

Study Abroad
overseas education
Colleges & Universities
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants