Interpreting the Pros and Cons of On Campus and Off Campus Student Accommodation

Study Abroad Team 31/08/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Interpreting the Pros and Cons of On Campus and Off Campus Student Accommodation

 On-Campus and Off-Campus Student Accommodation Overview

Every student who dreams of studying abroad takes every step possible to secure admission at a prestigious higher education institute in their preferred destination. Fulfilling the eligibility criteria and completing the application process without errors is necessary. Doing so can increase applicants' chances of admission to colleges or Universities overseas.Many Indian students studying abroad have a similar concern even after securing their seats at their chosen higher education institutes abroad. Indeed, it is difficult for almost every international student to determine the most suitable one between off-campus and on-campus accommodation. Each of these two prominent accommodation types has its pros and cons. It is sensible for each student to make a final decision after thoroughly analyzing the pros and cons of living on and off campus.Most colleges and Universities overseas provide accommodation facilities to students. However, the tuition fee does not include the expenses a student requires to pay for on-campus housing. The accommodation options include dormitories, residence halls, and hostels, which are either on the institute's premises or close to it.Off-campus housing includes rented rooms or PGs, shared accommodation, private residences, etc. This type of student accommodation is not located on the college or University premises. Thus, a student has to take all the initiative from their end to find a place to stay as close as possible to the institute. In this case, students must bear living costs other than paying the course fee separately.A trusted study abroad consultant can help Indian and other international students to choose the appropriate type of housing overseas.

 Crucial Factors to Prioritize to Select between On and Off-Campus Student Accommodation

Living and Miscellaneous Expenses

The accommodation cost mainly depends on the nation and the institute a student enrolls in. In some cases, the on-campus housing cost is relatively cheap than off-campus. However, this does not indicate that students cannot expect the other way around.It is advisable to consider on and off-campus living expenses and make a comparison. International students must consider the amenities they receive besides food and travel expenses. 

Privacy

 It is a must for students to share a room with classmates, seniors, or juniors when staying on campus. Therefore, privacy is minimal in this type of student accommodation. Moreover, there are shared bathrooms, and students remain under the supervision of resident supervisors all the time. Each student must comply with stringent guidelines during their stay on campus.When a student chooses to reside off-campus, there is no need to be under someone else's supervision. It depends entirely on a student whether to share a room. So, off-campus accommodation abroad ensures more privacy for students.

Transportation

 There is no need for a student living on campus to bear transportation costs to reach the institute. The classrooms are within walking distance from the dormitories on a college or University premises.Off-campus living requires a student to spend on commuting and manage time to reach the institute before a class starts. Transportation costs affect living expenses abroad directly.

Security and Medical Support

 Safety and security are every student's prime concern, whether Canada, Australia, the USA, or the UK student accommodation, both on and off-campus. Indeed, on-campus housing guarantees top-notch safety and security, besides 24/7 medical help in an emergency. Off-campus accommodation can be safe, but it has to do a lot with the location one chooses to stay. Moreover, no student living off-campus can expect round-the-clock security and medical assistance.

 On-Campus Student Accommodation

 Undoubtedly, every student spends some of the most memorable times of their lives during their college and University years. Students can enjoy maximum independence while they study abroad. According to many Indian students who have completed their higher studies overseas, staying on campus is fun and helps them save money. One can enjoy the most satisfying college or University experience when they choose on-campus accommodation.

 Here are some of the best perks of living on campus.

 Super Easy to Manage Time

 There is no point in hurrying things up to make it to the classroom on time when a student lives on campus. On top of it, students do not have to take the hassle of waiting for public transport and daily commuting. So they can manage time much better than those living off-campus. Having classrooms within walking distance helps relieve a lot of stress on exam days.

 Well-Furnished Rooms

 Indian students studying abroad and other international students must share residential halls or dorms once they choose on-campus housing. They get to stay in well-furnished and decorated rooms. However, the quality of on-campus student accommodation varies from one institute to another. Students can keep things organized when dorms have desks with drawers, besides cupboards and closets.

 No Need to Pay Utility Bills

 On-campus student housing fee includes utility bills, which is why students do not need to pay for using water, gas, electricity, and Wi-Fi. Some higher education institutes abroad require international students to pay a certain amount monthly. The rest of the colleges and Universities overseas charge the overall living costs upfront.

 Here are the cons of living on campus.

  • Choosing on-campus housing means no privacy, as students have to share rooms with others.
  • Adhering to strict guidelines during the stay at a dorm on campus is a must for every student. One gets warnings and has to pay fines if they violate the rules.
  • Challenging to stay calm and concentrate on studies amidst noise and chaos when living on-campus

 Off-Campus Student Accommodation

Privacy

 There is no denying that off-campus accommodation ensures the utmost privacy for a student. One gets complete liberty to decide whether to rent a studio apartment to live alone or share a flat with classmates. However, living elsewhere instead of on campus makes monthly expenses in the USA for Indian students higher.

 No Supervision

 Unlike on-campus housing, students who opt for off-campus accommodation do not have to be supervised by resident assistants' supervision 24/7. They can enjoy their independence and not have to follow stringent rules and regulations. Life in off-campus housing is more enjoyable, according to students who have been there during their higher education abroad.

 Various Categories of Rooms

 International students who travel to study in the USA or the UK get to choose from three prominent off-campus accommodation categories. One can select studio rooms, en-suite rooms, or shared accommodations depending on their budget.

 Amenities

Every student who lives off-campus wants to get all sorts of amenities. However, not every space offers amenities such as a swimming pool, parking, breakfast area, etc. Those with the budget can rent off-campus accommodation with a host of amenities, including the ones mentioned above, gyms, outdoor grills, hangout zone, gaming areas, etc.

 Here are the drawbacks of living off-campus housing. 

  • Students must deal with the hassle of managing time and commuting to the college or University on time.
  • They have no option other than spending substantial money on transportation every month.
  • Arranging, organizing, and cooking food is the responsibility of students
  • Get to spend less time on the college or University campus with friends after class

 A student who has been granted admission to a prestigious college or University abroad must decide whether to live on-campus or off-campus before boarding the flight. Analyzing the pros and cons of both types of accommodation, besides considering the budget, can help students make an informed decision quickly.

Study Abroad
#overseaseducation
#studyabroad
#travel&stay
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants