Indian Students' Mounting Spending on Overseas Education: Inflating Vistas and Finances

Study Abroad Team 09/11/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

A decade ago, studying abroad was the talk of the town in India. Still, it never seemed feasible for the working-class people as it demanded substantial financial backup, and aspiring students were seemingly reaching for the stars beyond their belt, which sealed an unfavorable fate for thousands below the economic scale.

But so little did you know that it was the beginning of something incredible to pan out in the future.

Fast-forward to 2023, according to the Indian Student Mobility Report 2023, Indian students invest much more in overseas education than in any other country. The aspiration to pursue an abroad education seems more than just a trendsetter; it’s an inevitable goal for students who want to experience education and university life outside India. In recent years, a constant appetite for high-quality education, exposure to diverse cultures, and better job prospects has mushroomed. Now, study abroad is yet the ultimate prize among Indian students. More and more students are willing to stretch their budgets to study overseas, indicating a shift in educational priorities. As students aim to broaden their horizons and establish a global network, the appeal of international education is increasing, shaping the future of India's education landscape.

According to the Student Mobility Report, Indian students opting for higher education overseas grow annually, and their abroad spending is set to hit $70 billion by 2025.

Furthermore, the report also states that around 1.3 million Indian students are currently studying abroad in 2023, representing top states like Maharashtra, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh/Telangana.

The report also uncovers the students’ interests in preferred host destinations like New Zealand, Canada, the USA, the UK, Australia, and Ireland. Also, recent interest in other countries, including Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Ireland, Singapore, Russia, Philippines, France, and New Zealand, has emerged as preferred destinations for students seeking affordable overseas education. These nations bring an average of 4-5 billion annually and contribute insignificantly compared to other top countries.

The report reveals that 12.5% of students going abroad are from Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and Andhra Pradesh, making them the top three contributors. Following are Gujarat, Delhi, and Tamil Nadu with 8% each and Karnataka at 6%. The remaining states contribute 33% to the total number of students abroad. The report also provides a detailed analysis of the financial aspects of studying abroad, highlighting the substantial expenses incurred by Indian students. It emphasizes the economic impact of Indian student mobility and the need for targeted financial support and scholarships.

Conclusion:

Indian students increasingly pursue overseas education, spending more to achieve their aspirations. The investment, though substantial, is outweighed by the invaluable knowledge, cultural exposure, and personal growth they gain. This represents an investment in a future that transcends geographical boundaries. This is also expected to be multifold in the forthcoming years and could probably be the first nation with more outgoing International students.

Study Abroad
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants