Study Abroad Programs In Switzerland: Universities, Courses, Admission And More

Study Abroad Team 25/10/2023
7 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

It is difficult to ignore the fact that many Swiss universities have received significant awards for student satisfaction. This is evidence that proves the quality of education Switzerland offers which is why many international students aim to seek admission to Swiss universities. Apart from education, it is a country that offers inclusivity and various opportunities for international students.

Understanding the Perks of Studying in Switzerland  

There are various advantages and benefits for international studentsstudying in Switzerland. Some of the significant benefits are listed,

  • Switzerland’s flexible education system opens up various possibilities for international students. Swiss universities offer various undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD programs.
  • There are various top educational institutes in Switzerland that are globally recognized and highly ranked.
  • Swiss institutions and universities offer education in different languages, including English, French, and German.
  • Language proficiency test is not mandatory in Swiss universities. The IELTS exam is considered optional as most universities do not require an IELTS score to offer admission.
  • It offers various employment opportunities and permanent residency for international students who have settled there after course completion.
  • Swiss universities offer various scholarship programs with partial and full funding for international students.
  • The country offers a multicultural environment and vibrant lifestyle for international students to learn, explore, and grow.

Study Abroad Programs In Switzerland: Universities, Courses, Admission And More

Exploring Top Universities in Switzerland for International Students

There are various top universities in Switzerland that offer admission to international students. Some of the most popular universities based on the courses are listed,

Courses

University/Institution

MBA

  • ETH Zurich
  • The University of St. Gallen
  • EU Business School
  • Universite de Lausanne- HEC Lausanne
  • Geneva School of Economics and Management: University of Geneva
  • Swiss Business School
  • IMD Business School

Computer Science and Information Technology

  • University of Zurich
  • University of Geneva
  • Faculty of Economics and Business
  • FHS St. Gallen University of Applied Sciences
  • ETH Zurich
  • University of Basel
  • University of Neuchatel
  • IIMT
  • Geneva Information Technology Institute

Engineering

  • Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich
  • University of Geneva
  • University of Zurich
  • Chalmers University of Technology

Law

  • The University of St. Gallen
  • The University of Lucerne
  • University of Fribourg
  • University of Geneva
  • The University of Basel
  • University of Zurich
  • The University of Bern
  • University of Lausanne
  • University of Neuchatel

Medicine

  • The University of Berne
  • University of Lausanne
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
  • Ecole Polytechnique Federale of Lausanne
  • University of Basel
  • The University of Geneva
  • The University of Zurich
  • Universita della svizzera italiana

Popular Courses to Study in Switzerland for Indian Students

Some of the popular courses in Switzerland for international students are listed,

  • MBA- Sports management, entrepreneurship, E-Business, Global Banking & Finance, Design Management, Leisure & Tourism Management, Communication & Public Relations, Leadership, International Marketing, Human Resources Management, and International Business.
  • Computer Science and Information Technology- Information Systems, Data Management and Machine Learning, Networked Systems & Parallel Computing, Programming Languages and Software Engineering, Visual Computing, Cyber-Physical & Embedded Systems, Information & System Security, Pervasive Computing and Cyber-Physical Systems, and Theory & Algorithms.
  • Engineering- Pharmaceutical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical and Bioengineering, Computer Engineering, Materials Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Geomatic Engineering.
  • Law- International Law, International Law in Armed Conflict, LLM in International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights, International Banking, Finance & Insurance law, International Master in Sports Law, Executive Master in International Law in Armed Conflict, International Law and Economics, and Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate law.
  • Medicine- Chiropractic, Neural Systems & Computation, Toxicology, Biology- Neurosciences, University of Zurich, Nursing, Veterinary, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Biology- Cancer Biology, Medical Biology, Global Health, and Biology- Immunology.

Admission to Swiss Universities: Becoming Academically Qualified  

There are various eligibility criteria and requirements that international students should fulfill to apply to universities or institutions in Switzerland. Some of the key requirements are listed,

  • The candidate should have completed 10+2 years of education from any recognized board to apply for undergraduate or diploma programs.
  • To apply for postgraduate programs, the candidates should have completed a relevant undergraduate degree with considerable scores.
  • Even though language proficiency tests are not mandatory to pursue higher education in Switzerland, some universities might ask for an IELTS score.
  • The candidates must submit a Statement of Purpose (SOP) demonstrating their goals.
  • A minimum of two Letters of Recommendation (LOR) should be submitted to acquire admission to Swiss universities.
  • The candidates must submit documents like passport, relevant certificates, SOP, LOR, and transcripts.
  • Swiss universities consider GRE and GMAT scores as mandatory to offer admissions.
  • Work experience is mandatory for MBA, MS, and post-graduation. For other courses, work experience will be an added advantage.

Getting Into Swiss Universities: Application Process

Candidates can get into Swiss universities by following certain simple steps. The step-by-step process to get into universities is listed,

  • Finalize the course and decide on the university to pursue the desired course.
  • On deciding upon the universities, candidates must go through the admission criteria of the particular university or institute.
  • Get the required documents ready in the appropriate order and sequence for submission when required.
  • The candidates can apply for the specific selected university through online portals. The supporting documents should be submitted, and the application fee should be paid before the deadline.
  • On receiving application confirmation, the candidates can proceed to apply for a Swiss student visa and residence permit.

Swiss University Application Deadlines for International Students

The application deadlines at Swiss universities for International students might vary based on various factors, the university, courses applied, and more. However, the students should apply for courses beginning the academic year during the spring semester. The application deadline for a regular application is listed,

  • Spring semester- May to November
  • Fall semester- December to April

These deadlines are tentative. However, the candidates who need a visa can apply before February for the fall semester and before September for the spring semester.

Step-by-Step Guide for Visa Application for International Students

  • The candidates must apply for the university or institute for higher education.
  • On receiving application confirmation, the candidates must check whether they need C or D visa.
  • The candidates are requested to download the C visa or D visa application form.
  • The next essential step is to collect the required and essential documents based on the eligibility criteria.
  • On completing the application package, the candidates must pay the application fee online.
  • Fingerprints and photographs must be submitted at the nearest VFS Global Centre after scheduling an appointment.
  • After paying the VFS Global service fee, the candidates can track their application online with the reference number.
  • After receiving the visa approval, candidates can collect their passports at the visa application center.

Study Abroad Programs In Switzerland: Universities, Courses, Admission And More

Checklist for Student Visa and Fees

There are various documents that are mandatory to apply for a Swiss student visa. Some of the essential documents are,

  • Acceptance letter from educational institutions in Switzerland
  • Passport with at least two blank pages
  • Completed application form- D visa form or C visa form
  • A cover letter stating the motivation to study along with departure confirmation after visa expiry
  • Four passport-size photographers with the essential requirements
  • Proof of financial support to fund the course and stay
  • An updated CV
  • Proof of tuition fee payment and English language proficiency

A Lending Hand: Scholarship Programs Offered by Swiss Universities  

A massive list of scholarships and grants is offered to international students in Switzerland. Some of the popular scholarships are listed,

  • University of Geneva Excellence Masters Fellowships
  • ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarships
  • EPFL Excellence Fellowships
  • UNIL Master’s Grants in Switzerland for Foreign Students
  • Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Scholarships
  • Nestle MBA Scholarships for Women from Developing Countries
  • Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Students
  • EPFL Global Leaders Fellowship Programme
  • Excellence Scholarships of the University of St. Gallen
  • Alfred Werner Masters Scholarships in Chemistry or Biochemistry at Swiss Universities
  • Friedrich Naumann Foundation Scholarship for International Students
  • Study a Masters in Europe Scholarships
  • IMD MBA Diversity Scholarships
  • Caux Scholars Program in Switzerland
  • IMD Emerging Markets Scholarships
  • Jim Ellert MBA Scholarships at IMD
  • IMD MBA Future Leaders Scholarships
  • IO-MBA Program Scholarships at University of Geneva
  • Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowships for Developing Countries
Study Abroad
Destination Country
Study in Switzerland
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants