A Complete Guide To Your Pathway To Permanent Residency in Australia

Study Abroad Team 31/07/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Why Should You Apply for a PR in Australia? 

Indian students and professionals seeking permanent residency in Australia must have a permanent residence visa. However, obtaining PR doesn't make one an Australian citizen. An Australian PR allows people to study, work, and live in the country for five years without any obstruction. One can apply for the country's citizenship after residing in Australia as a permanent resident for four years.

Here are some other reasons why one must apply for a PR in Australia:

  • The country is all set to invite around 500,000 migrants by 2024

  • It has more than 800,000 employments available for qualified, skilled professionals.

  • Thanks to the Universal Healthcare System, even permanent residents can have access to several healthcare services for free or at a very low cost.

  • Permanent residents can have access to free education for their children.

  • An Australian PR makes people eligible for retirement benefits.

  • Having a PR is the easiest way to obtain Australian citizenship in the future.

  • Australia is the 8th happiest nation in the world.

The Australian PR Process– A Briefing  

Skilled professionals or students studying at universities in Australia for international students will have to do the following to become an Australian PR. 

Undergo Skill Assessment

The applicant will have to get a skill assessment test under the supervision of a designated skill assessment body. For a quick response, one must submit all required documents promptly. 

Visa Approval

 The Australian DHA (Australian Department of Home Affairs) will check all the submitted documents and thoroughly research the applicant's profile. The DHA will grant the PR visa if the applicant meets all requirements. 

Moving to Australia

 Once the DHA approves the candidate's PR visa application, he or she must start preparation to reach Australia. This is essential as all newly inducted permanent residents must enter the country on the date of initial entry mentioned on their PR visa grant letter. 

The past decade has made getting an Australian PR visa much simpler for Indian students. Moreover, the two countries have even entered an official agreement to allow seamless immigration to students and skilled professionals. 

Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining an Australian PR 

  • Must be less than 45 years old

  • Must have health insurance

  • Must have PTE or IELTS score

  • Must have Police Verification Certificate

  • Must score at least 65 on the Australian Immigration Point System

  • Must pass a valid skill assessment test

Requirements for an Australian Permanent Residency 

To approve the Australian PR visa application, the candidate must score at least 65 on the Australian Immigration Point System. Candidates with higher scores are typically invited to apply for permanent residency in the country. There are multiple eligibility requirements that a PR applicant needs to meet to get a good score. Here are the most crucial ones among them:

Age: Applicants aged between 25 and 32 years score a maximum of 30 points.

English Proficiency: Showcasing proof of English proficiency is a must, irrespective of the field of study the candidates belong to. One may be looking for civil engineering jobs in Australia or mechanical engineering jobs in Australia; knowing English is a must.

The candidate can obtain 20 points by scoring 8 bands in the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam. However, IELTS is not the only English proficiency test approved by the immigration authorities in Australia. The candidates will be eligible for PR status even if they pass other tests like the TOEFL or PTE.

Work Experience: Work experience of 8 years outside Australia in the past 10 years gives skilled professionals 15 points. One can score a maximum of 20 points by working in Australia for 8 years or more.

Education: Many universities around the globe have fully funded Ph.D. scholarships for Indian students. Individuals with plans to settle in Australia should look to get those scholarships and complete their Ph.D. from a top university. A Ph.D. degree from an Australian university or a top university in any foreign land (it must have recognition from the Australian government) will give the candidate maximum points.

SOL or Skilled Occupation Lists: To be eligible to enter Australia as a permanent resident, the candidate's occupation must be a part of these lists.

Spouse Application: The candidate can score an extra 10 points if his or her spouse applies for permanent residency in Australia. However, to qualify for a PR visa, the spouse must also meet the basic criteria enlisted on this page.

Steps to Obtain an Australian PR 

Here are the steps Indian students and skilled professionals must complete to obtain an Australian PR.

Step 1: Checking Whether They Meet All Eligibility Criteria

For that, one must:

  • Check the list of eligibility requirements

  • Check the occupations that are in demand in the country

  • Check whether they have scored 65 or more on the Australian Immigration Point System

Step 2: Language Proficiency Test

The candidates must take any English proficiency test recommended by the immigration authorities of Australia.

Step 3: Undergoing Skill Assessment 

In this step, the candidate will need to undergo a skill assessment by the assessment authority. The process involves the assessment of education, work experience, and skills according to Australian standards.

Step 4: Registering ROI

Next, candidates must visit Australia's official SkillSelect website and register their EOI or Expression of Interest. Based on the EOI they pick, the candidates must fill out a form by answering questions related to their skills. This program offers the Skilled Regional Subclass Visa 491 to Indian students and professionals looking to become permanent residents of Australia.

Step 5: Receiving ITA

Upon completing step 4, the candidate will recipe an ITA or Invitation to apply for permanent residency in Australia.

Step 6: Submitting the Application

Applying for Australian PR is mandatory within 60 days of receiving the ITA. The candidate must include all their immigration documents, documents to prove academic qualification and work experience, and personal documents when submitting their application.

Step 7: Obtaining the PR Visa

In the final step, the candidate will receive his/her PR Visa.

Major Benefits of Getting a Permanent Residency in Australia

  • Permanent residents can live in the country as long as they want

  • They can visit all parts of Australia.

  • Indian students or professionals with PR visas can complete their higher studies at an Australian university and even apply for educational loans in the country.

  • Australian PRs are eligible for all Social Security benefits.

  • They become eligible to work in the country.

  • Australian PRs can visit New Zealand.

  • They can apply for a PR visa even in New Zealand.

Study Abroad
Study in Australia
studyinaustralia
Visapplication
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 228 Answers - 242
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants