Study in Australia Visa Documents and Process for Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 20/12/2023
6 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Australian Student Visa – An Overview

International students who aspire to pursue a study program in Australia for more than 12 weeks must get an Australian Student Visa. Most international students who want to study in Australia must apply for Subclass 500 of the Australian Student Visa, irrespective of the study program they opted for. 

This student visa subclass is valid only until the duration of the study program and allows the candidate to stay in the country for up to 5 years from the date of application. Acquiring the visa allows the student to pursue an eligible course of study from the best universities in Australia for international students. They can also bring a family member to the country, work unlimited hours while pursuing the course, and travel to and from Australia. 

At the end of the validity of the visa, the student can apply for an extension. 

Documents Required to Apply for an Australian Study Visa

The Australia student visa process requires the students to submit documents related to their identity and background checks, health-related information, and admission confirmation. The candidate must apply for the visa at least 8 weeks before the study program starts. The documents required are: 

  • Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) issued by the education institution or university the student has applied to 
  • The candidate must provide an English Language Proficiency certificate from the IELTS, Occupational English Test, PTE Academic, TOEFL, and Cambridge English Advanced.
  • The student must hold a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity at the time of application. 
  • Proof of health checkup and insurance or an Overseas Students Health Cover 
  • Police clearance certificate 
  • The student must provide proof showing they have enough funds to meet tuition fees, traveling costs to and from Australia, and the cost of living in the country. 
  • Employment history, if any 
  • Attested copies of academic documents 
  • The student must also provide proof of being a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) with the intent to return home after completing the course. 

Australian Student Visa Processing Fee

The Australian study visa cost starts from AUD650 for the primary applicant, An additional AUD485 is payable if the applicant is 18 years and above. If the student is below 18 years old, they must pay an additional AUD160. Only the base fee of AUD650 is applicable for students from the postgraduate research sector. 

Each family member who applies for the visa must also pay a specific visa processing fee. 

What are the Requirements for the Australian Student Visa?

 Discussed here are the essential requirements to apply for an Australian student visa. 

  • The student must be at least 6 years old if he or she is a school student but is not seeking admission to a secondary school student exchange program. For students beginning Year 10 and Year 12, the students must be less than 18 years and 20 years, respectively. 
  • The applicant must be enrolled in any eligible full-time study program when applying for the visa. During the Australia study visa process, they must provide proof of Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). However, the candidate does not require submitting a CoE if he or she is enrolled under a scholarship scheme or sponsored by the Australian Department of Defense. A secondary exchange or postgraduate research student also does not need to provide a CoE. 
  • The students may need to provide proof of their English language proficiency skills at the time of applying. 
  • There must be sufficient welfare arrangements for students under 18 years of age applying for a student visa. 
  • When applying for the visa, the students and their family members must hold and maintain health insurance valid throughout their stay in Australia. If the student does not have health insurance, they must get an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from any eligible health insurance provider in Australia. 
  • The candidate must have sufficient funds to pay tuition fees and cover their entire stay in Australia. 
  • The students must also meet the character and health requirements laid down by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs – Immigration and Citizenship. 
  • The students must not have access canceled or refused to get approved for the visa. 
  • If the student is 18 or older, they must sign the Australian values statement, confirming that they will obey all laws and respect the way of life in Australia. 

Application Process for Australia Student Visa

Before applying for Australia Student Visa, the students should arrange all necessary documents and organize a health exam.

To apply, the candidate must create an ImmiAccount online and complete the Australian visa application form online. Once the student applies for the visa and submits all documents, they must pay the fee online. They must also complete the biometrics process, get a health exam and provide other information through their ImmiAccount.  

Once the immigration authorities receive the visa application, they will notify the candidate. They can track the application status online. If they get approved in the initial stage of the visa process, they need to take the interview at an Australian consulate or embassy. The decision on the visa application will be sent to the student in writing. Upon acceptance, the letter will have the visa grant number, the conditions of the visa, and the date of visa expiry. 

Processing Time for Australian Student Visa

 The application processing time will vary based on various factors. The maximum time it can take is 10-15 months. For the school sector, the processing time for 90% of applications is 5 months, and the minimum is 15 days. For the postgraduate research sector, 90% of applications are processed in 15 months. The below chart will help determine expected processing times based on the stream applied for: 

Stream

25% Processing

90% Processing

School sector

15 days

5 months

Higher education sector

8 days

35 days

Postgraduate research sector

13 days

15 months

Independent ELICOS sector

8 days

54 days

Vocational education and training sector

9 days

63 days

Foreign affairs or defense sector

2 days

34 days

Non-award sector

6 days

59 days

The visa application may need more processing time if it is not completed correctly or if the candidate does not provide all the necessary documents. 


The Final Words

Studying abroad in Australia is a dream come true for many international students. The country offers top-notch education facilities, high-quality living, and diverse cultural experiences. Applying for an Australian student visa and getting approved for it provides the student access to prestigious universities and the option to choose from various academic programs. Upon completing the course, the students can also pursue lucrative job opportunities. 

However, the students must get an Australia study visa subclass 500 before visiting the country and pursuing a study program. The visa process is straightforward – the candidates must provide all required documents as mentioned herewith and pay the necessary fee. The student visa is applicable for up to 5 years, after which the candidate needs to apply for an extension. 

While pursuing the course under the Australian student visa, the students can also bring their family members, provided they apply for a visa and get approved. Whether or not the student will get approved for the visa will depend on how they meet the eligibility requirements. It is advised to check the official website of the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs – Immigration and Citizenship to know about the Student Visa in more detail.  

Study Abroad
Visa Application
Study in Australia
Visa Documents
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants