Common Mistakes to Avoid When Applying For Study Abroad Universities

Study Abroad Team 27/12/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The Importance of Thoroughly Researching Study Abroad Options 

Studying abroad has become much more commonplace today than before. Indian students are optimistic and more confident about going abroad for further studies. The internet has brought many changes, and free information is one of them. This has helped students tremendously by helping them understand what they need to do to pursue higher education abroad. This article is going to take a look at the common mistakes they end up making.

7 Common Mistakes Students Commit During Application 

Preparing to study abroad can be a massive undertaking. A lot is at stake, and a good amount of money is involved. Unless a student is careful, they may make more mistakes than one. The application process is the most crucial because this is the period that can make or break it. The right kind of guidance can be a godsend during this period. Here are the common mistakes that Indian students should avoid when applying to foreign universities.

Mistake #1: Lack of Financial Investigation and Scholarships 

Not planning for finances much before the start of the application process can hinder a student's process of going abroad to study. Some think that tuition fees are the only thing one has to worry about. But it is not so. The tuition fee is just one part of the funds one will need. There are also living costs of living in a foreign country to consider.

While the tuition fees need to be paid directly to the university, living costs mean the cost of living abroad. This can include accommodation, food, health insurance, transportation, eating out, and more. When looking for countries to study in, Indian students often make the mistake of not pondering over the living costs and paying heed to only the tuition fees. This can lead to a huge shock when they realize how much it will cost to study abroad.

That is why correctly assessing the financial situation and investigating scholarships is necessary. Scholarships can help reduce the financial load of studying abroad in a university, so researching which one they can apply for and then applying for them well before the application process begins is a good idea.

Mistake #2: Not Paying Attention to Application Requirements and Deadlines 

Proper planning for applying abroad is not just important but essential. The road is steep because there is a lot to do. One first thing one must consider is the criteria and deadline to apply to a particular course or university. Keeping to the deadline is necessary because, otherwise, one may just have to forego the application.

Foreign universities are different from Indian universities as they open the application process well in advance. Enough time is given to students to prepare their application and send it across. Once a student has decided on the exact course or program they will apply for, it is advisable to apply to at least 3 to 5 universities. So that when the offers start pouring in, one can pick and choose the best. It is a good idea to let a study abroad counselor handle the application process to adhere to the regulations and deadline requirements.

Mistake 3: Poorly Written SOP and Application Essays 

The SOP or the Statement of Purpose is one of the most important things an Indian student has to submit to a university they want to study abroad in. The SOP should be a worded article about the purpose of the said student. Too many poorly-written SOPs are sent to colleges and universities abroad, but it is not really hard to send a good one across if one knows what they are doing.

The SOP should not be a factual account of what the student did in school and college. While a little about it is helpful, don't make the whole SOP about it! Researching the school and what one plans to do in the future that the school will help in is necessary.

The idea is not to let the academic people at the university on his applying to see you as a person in all its glittering glory. The idea is to help them see the student as a scholar.

The most common mistake in the SOP is to write a long-drawn-out story that clearly serves no purpose and bores the reader. Instead, talking about what one plans to do in a foreign university closely tied to the course or program one wishes to study there is necessary.

 Mistake 4: Ignoring Language Requirements or Failing to Meet Set Standards 

Another common mistake that students often make while writing their SOPs and applications for foreign universities is ignoring language requirements or failing to meet standard quality.

It is not just about grammar but sentence structure as well. One of the biggest mistakes Indian students make is writing too wordy sentences. They try to describe everything they have done in their lives, which increases the word count. This means there is little room left to write the things one needs. Wasting word count on the unimportant thing the college counselor sitting in a university abroad does not need to know is foolish.

Instead, sticking to a structure and writing in clear and concise language is a great idea.

In fact, one can cut out about 20% to 30% of a sloppily written essay's total word count if one tries hard enough.

Mistake 5: Not Finding Appropriate Student Accommodation 

For any Indian student trying to study abroad at a foreign university, accommodation is a huge factor to consider. Getting appropriate accommodation means finding something suitable and within one's budget.

Depending on the country and city the student chooses to study, accommodation can mean taking out anything between 25% to 50% of the living costs. This is huge, which is why research plays such a huge role. Spending time to research accommodation options can lead to significant savings in money. If one cannot do it and find appropriate student accommodation within one's budget, it is best to take the help of education consultants.

Mistake 6: Glossing Over the Significance of Visas and Immigration Requirements 

Visa and immigration requirements can easily be ignored till the last minute. But it is such a crucial point to consider and plan. Many Indian students take it lightly, and there are serious consequences to suffer for that. Getting a student Visa to study in a particular country can be a long, drawn-out process. First, analyzing the requirements and then applying for the Visa is necessary. 

Being on the right timeline helps, and never missing deadlines is necessary. Many documents must be translated into English to start the Visa application process. There will be lots of paperwork to be done, and it needs to be seen whether the student qualifies according to the mentioned criteria for a particular program. Getting all documents and photographs one needs in order before the start of the Visa application process is one of the smartest things to do.

Mistake 7: No Professional Guidance: Choose Top Study Abroad Consultants at Sulekha 

A big mistake that an Indian student applying to study abroad is not to take professional guidance to do it. Some students will succeed without a professional counselor, but most will not. The reasons why a counselor can add a lot of positivity to a student's plan to study abroad are:

  • They bring professional expertise to the table. A good counselor does not do research at the last minute trying to help find a student a seat at a foreign university. They have already done the research and can make the whole process more focused.
  • They have a lot of knowledge about the process and can guide students to help them reach their goals.
  • They can suggest and book appropriate accommodations after letting the student know about the pros and cons of each option.
  • They can keep costs under control because they know where to do it.
  • They have a lot of experience with writing SOPs which get results, Countries like USA, UK and Australia has different SOPs. This can be a game-changer as it represents how a foreign university sees a student.

Choosing an study abroad consultant is certainly a great step. It can change the way the whole application process gets handled. But choosing a top study consultant from Sulekha.com is the best idea because the company has significant expertise and experience in sending Indian students abroad for higher studies. A good consultant can make a huge difference no matter what university or course a student is eyeing. They know all the ins and outs of the process, which will put an aspiring student on the right path to higher success later in life.

Study Abroad
overseas education
Colleges & Universities
Study in Australia
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 162 Answers - 168
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants