Earth Science in Australia: Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 09/02/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Why Study Earth Science in Australia?

Aspirants considering studying Environmental Science and Management in Australia can study in a top-notch setting as all 32 universities offering this program are ranked at or above the world standard. This indicates Australia's excellence in research in Environmental Science and Management compared to other research disciplines in Australian universities. With several universities offering earth science courses,Indian students studying in Australia can choose the one that aligns with their interests while opting for a qualification in this field.

Advantages of Pursuing Earth Science Programs in Australia

1. Diverse Geological Landscapes: Australia has diverse geological landscapes, including the Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock, etc. Studying Earth sciences in Australia provides access to this natural landscape, offering opportunities for fieldwork and research.

2. High-Quality Education: Australian Universities are famous for their quality education in Earth sciences.

3. Research & Networking Opportunities: Studying in Australia provides valuable research and networking opportunities for career development.

4. Industry Connections: The strong mining, energy, and environmental sectors in Australia create ample career opportunities for Earth science graduates

Top Universities in Australia to Pursue Earth Science Programs  

  • Bond University- Bachelor of Climate Change and Sustainable Action: It is a multidisciplinary program that equips students with the required skills to emerge as leaders in sustainability across various industries. With Climate Change, Sustainability, and Sustainable Action- the curriculum provides an in-depth framework to understand and address pressing environmental challenges.
  • University of Newcastle- The University of Newcastle is popular for its research-focused environment that fosters a dynamic culture. As a researcher at the University, you'll be dedicated to generating impactful contributions to global knowledge and positively shaping our world. This University offers 3 PhD programs in Earth science - Doctor of Philosophy (Earth Sciences), Doctor of Philosophy (Geology), and Doctor of Philosophy (Marine Science).
  • University Of Melbourne- According to the QS World University Rankings 2024, Melbourne is ranked 14th globally and holds the top spot in Australia. Additionally, it ranks eighth worldwide for graduate employability, as per the QS Global Employability Rankings. The courses offered by the University for Earth Science are Bachelor of Science, Master of Climate Science, Master of Geoscience, Master of Science (Earth Sciences)

 Admission Process for Earth Science Programs in Australia  

The student must choose the research and the University that aligns with their requirements. Then, they must select the course that they wish to pursue. The student must ensure he/she has the necessary academic qualifications to take the course. 

Eligibility Criteria 

Aspirants should fulfill all the requirements before applying to the bachelor's and master's courses in Earth Science. However, the eligibility criteria and the admission requirements vary from one University to another. 

1. The student should have a science background/undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. 

2. The student should have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 5.0/7.0 required for admission. 

3. Test scores of English proficiency tests like IELTS (6.5), TOEFL (87) PTE (58). 

4. The students should prepare all the documents like a letter of recommendation, a strong statement of purpose, etc. 

5. Students should upload all their academic transcripts during admission. 

Documents Required 

Here is the list of documents required to apply to Australian Universities 

  • 10 & 12th certificate / Academic Transcripts 
  • Student visa 
  • Statement of Purpose 
  • Valid Passport 
  • Letter of recommendation

Visa Process 

The first step in obtaining a student visa is to apply to the Australian University the student wishes to study in and get a letter of Enrolment from there. The student must submit a letter of acceptance from the University during their visa application. 

  • Indian students should apply for a "D" type visa and seek a residence permit. 
  • The student must create an Immi account on the official website of the Australian Department. 
  • Then he also must get insurance covering medical expenses during his/her stay in Australia. 
  • They must pay the visa application fees and fill out the form through the Immi account. 
  • The student must keep checking the Immi account to receive the visa grant notice, which will have details like visa conditions and validity. 

Cost of Earth Science Programs in Australia

  • The cost of pursuing Earth Science programs in Australia can range from 20- 30 lakhs annually.  
  • The average living expenses can range between Rs.9 87,660 and Rs. 16,46,000/Pa. This includes accommodation, food, transportation, and utilities. 

Scholarships for Earth Science Programs in Australia

  • ServiceScape 2024: The scholarship is available for undergraduates and postgraduates and offers partial funding. 
  • AP Ambedkar Overseas Vidya Nidhi Scholarships for SC Students 2024: The scholarship offers full funding for undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD programs and is open to students from Andhra Pradesh
  • National Overseas Scholarship: The scholarship is open to Indian nationals and offers partial funding for both master's and Ph.D. programs.  
  • ETS TOEFL Scholarships:This scholarship offers Partial Funding for both Bachelor's, Masters programs and is open to citizens of India.
  • Textbook Grant for Undergraduates 2024: The scholarship is available for Bachelors programs and awards partial funding that can be taken at any Australian or New-Zealand University.

Career Opportunities on Completing Earth Science Programs in Australia

Climate scientists, Development Geoscientists, Energy analysts, Hydrologists, and Meteorologists are some job titles for Earth Science graduates. These are also listed in the Australian Government's skills list. The demand for geologists is projected to increase, offering more job opportunities for scholars in Earth Science in the future.

FAQs  

  • Who is eligible for Earth Science Programs?

The applicant should have studied physics, chemistry, mathematics, and biology with an aggregate score of 50% upon graduation from any recognized college.

  • Is there any scope in studying Earth science?

Graduates in earth science can find jobs protecting the environment, managing natural resources, exploring minerals, oil and gas, forecasting weather, etc.

  • What is the course of Earth science?

Earth sciences cover various fields studying natural processes and phenomena shaping our planet. The study includes geology, meteorology, and environmental science. Geology examines Earth's structure, rocks, minerals, and the forces moulding its surface over time.

  • Are Earth science jobs in demand in Australia?

Yes, Earth science jobs can be in demand in Australia due to the country's focus on environmental management, resource exploration, and sustainability. Graduates can work in mining, energy, government agencies, research, and education sectors.

  • What is the salary of an MSc in Earth Science graduate?

The salary depends on the work the graduate takes up after completing the course. The average salary of a Geoscientist is 4,43,000/pa, whereas a Geologist earns an average salary of 8,23,000/pa.

Study Abroad
Study in Australia
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants