Essential Tests to Take up to Study in Australia: A Complete Overview

Study Abroad Team 28/12/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

All potential applicants desiring to apply to reputed Australian Universities must pass some essential tests and provide proof of a decent level of proficiency in the English language. Indian students studying abroad pursue higher education in countries like Australia only after they successfully clear some tests. This procedure is also needed for student visa procurement.

All main examination results are verified or acknowledged by the DIAC or Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship for visas, including TOEFL, CAE, PTE, and IELTS. Let’s review some related info about the English language tests required to obtain an Australian student visa.

The English Proficiency tests to take up in Australia

  • IELTS - International English Language Testing System is an important English language proficiency test duly accepted in all Australian Universities. The general target score is between 6.5 to 7.0 (band score). The fee for applying to attempt the IELTS exam is approx. 15,500 INR. The exam score remains acceptable for only 2 years from the examination date. The exam structure includes 4 segments: listening, speaking, writing, and reading. The exam has to be completed within a specific timeframe (2 hours and 45 minutes).
  • TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language is a well-known proficiency test in the English language. The exam consists of 120 marks and four segments, with 30 marks for every section. The approx. exam fee is about U.S. 190 $. The applicants can give the exam offline or via the online platform. A minimum of 90 score marks is needed to seek admission to any Australian University.
  • PTE - Pearson Test of English is readily accepted in 150 plus Australian institutions. It is also acceptable at DIAC for student visas. 12 cities in India offer the PTE test. Aspiring students can join an English language course at selected Australian university campuses if the scores are not up to mark.
  • CAE - Cambridge English: Advanced is also accepted by the DIAC to aid the visa application process demonstrating the English language skills of aspirants. The test scores are equivalent to IELTS scores as Cambridge ESOL examinations run. Due to this fact, it is permitted to be used by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship.

Alternatives for IELTS and TOEFL

Indian students who have completed their academic education for the past 5 previous years with English language as their main mode of learning need not produce any proof of English language proficiency. Many universities give admission to students without proof of their TOEFL or IELTS scores if they are ready to accept a specific English program at that university before starting their degree education.

These academies include Adelaide University, Swinburne University of Technology, University of Southern Queensland, and Macquarie University. Some universities also accept exam result scores of PTE and CAE in place of TOEFL or IELTS such as University of South Australia and Bond University. The University of Southern Queensland suggests students take special English programs to gain admission to their university.

Entrance Tests for Undergraduate Programs in Australia

Undergraduate applicants can join Australian Universities only if they have completed 12 years of educational learning with the English language as their main mode of learning. Otherwise, students must give proof of test scores such as ACT, SAT, UMAT, ISAT, and LSAT.

  • UMAT: The undergraduate examination, known as the Australian Council of Educational Research, sets up the Medicine and Health Sciences Admission test. It is a multiple-choice test of 3 hours. Students seeking admission to medicine, health science, or dentistry undergraduate programs must attempt UMAT. The test scores are accepted by universities such as Newcastle University, University of New South Wales, Queensland University, Adelaide University, Western Australia University, Flinders University, and La Trobe University. The approx. fee for the UMAT examination is around 17,833 INR.
  • ISAT: International Student Admission Test is again a test to gain admission into undergraduate programs, including medicine, occupational therapy, pathology, and healthcare. ISAT can help secure admission to undergraduate degree courses such as MBBS in Australia for Indian students. The 3-hour ISAT test score is valid for a year. The minimum required score result is 60 for getting admission to Australian Universities. The approx. fee for the UMAT examination is around 7,990 INR. Some universities accepting ISAT test scores include Queensland University, Monash University, Flinders University, New South Wales University, and more.
  • LSAT: Law School Admission Test is an exam supervised by LSAC, USA. Students wanting to join undergraduate and graduate law programs in Australia. The online registration fee is 3799 INR in India. The MQC exam pattern can be checked online. LSAT results are valid for 5 years and the fee amount is 3799 INR.
  • SAT: Scholastic Aptitude Test is a famous undergraduate MCQ test focused on Math and Evidence-based reading and writing. The registration fee is 7500 INR and can be paid offline or online. 1200 and above scores are considered good scores for getting admission. Top academies that accept SAT results valid for five years include Queensland University, University of South Australia, Curtin University, and Sydney University, among many others.
  • ACT:The American College Test is an undergraduate entrance test and an alternative to the SAT exam. The computer-based test uses a 36-point scale to evaluate students. The minimum score for admission is 28 and above. Registration fee is around 11,500 INR to 12, 500 INR. The test result validity stretches up to 5 years.

Entrance Tests for Postgraduate Courses in Australia

Postgraduate students must provide proof of their test scores, such as GMAT, MCAT, or LSAT, to get admission to reputed Australian universities.

  • GMAT - Graduate Management Admission Test is a superior examination subdivided into four segments. Postgraduate applicants are given three hours to complete the exam. The analytical writing and integrated reasoning are writing sections, and students are given one hour to complete it. A GMAT score above 600 is considered to be good. The fee charged for GMAT is 18,300 INR.
  • MCAT - Medical College Admissions Test is taken by postgraduate students wanting admission to medical schools. Australian medical academies such as Sydney Medical School, Melbourne Medical School, and Griffith Medical School must see MCAT scores for admission. The MCQ computer-based test scores are valid for 3 years. The fee charged for MCAT is 23,410 INR.
Study Abroad
Study in Australia
courses/programs
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants