Guidelines And Requirements Of Student Visa To Australia

Study Abroad Team 28/12/2023
7 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Basic Requirement Checks to Apply for a Student Visa for Australia 

Australia is one of the world world's most sought-after destinations to study abroad. The country is home to some globally-recognized universities, offering excellent quality education and a culturally-amiable learning environment. International students who wish to pursue an academic program in Australia must apply for a Student Visa Subclass 500. The basic requirements of the visa are as follows: 

  • Evidence of Enrollment in a Course of Study: All students who have enrolled for a full-time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students must submit a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) to apply for a Student Visa. If a student has enrolled in a full-time course under one of Australia'sAustralia's scholarship schemes, then he or she must provide a Letter of Support. Postgraduate students or those enrolled in an exchange degree must submit a Letter from an Educator and an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students, respectively. 
  • English Language Proficiency Requirements: International students, especially from India, must take an eligible English Language Proficiency test and submit the scores when applying for a visa. Approved tests are IELTS, CAE, TOEFL-iBT, Occupational English Test, and PTE.
  • Submit a GTE Statement: The students must be Genuine Temporary Entrants (GTE) for the Australia student visa process. The statement should include that the candidate is applying for the visa only for education and intends to return to their home country by completing the course. 
  • Proof of Funds: The students applying for the visa must provide proof of sufficient funds to support their stay in Australia, along with the tuition fees and other expenses. 
  • Health Insurance: The visa applicant and their visiting family must hold and maintain adequate health insurance or Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian insurance provider. 
  • Health and Character Requirements: For Australian Student Visa approval, the candidate must meet all necessary health and character requirements laid down by the Ministry of Home Affairs. 

In addition to fulfilling the above requirements, the students must also sign the Australian Values Statement, confirming that they will respect and abide by the country's laws.   

Applying for a Student Visa in Australia with New Rules 2023

The Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs has implemented new rules for international students applying for a student visa. 

  • New visa application fee will be waived for the students who held a student visa on or after February 1, 2020, but could not complete their course within the visa's validity due to COVID-19. However, a waiver of the visa processing fee will not apply to students who have failed a course or have voluntarily deferred the academic program due to personal reasons.  
  • The total number of hours the student visa holders can work while pursuing their course will increase to 48 hours per two weeks. This is applicable from July 1, 2023 onwards.  
  • There will be no restriction until December 31, 2023, on the number of hours international students can work in the aged care sector who are already engaged in this field on May 9, 2023. 
  • If a student has already enrolled in a course of study, he or she will not be allowed to change their field unless approved by the Ministry of Home Affairs. 
  • Student visa holders graduating with specific degrees from an Australian university will be eligible to work post-study for an extended period of 4-5 years, beginning July 1, 2023.  

Necessary Bank Balance Required to Apply for an Australian Student Visa

The Australian student visa process requires the applicant to provide proof of sufficient funds to support their stay and education in the country and fulfill the entry requirements. As evidence, the applicant may provide documents showing the following:

- Money deposits in the bank account from a financial institution

- Financial support or scholarship certificates 

- Loan from a financial institution or a government loan

 The students can also provide proof that their parents or partner have a personal annual income of a minimum of AUD62,222 12 months before the application. If there are family members accompanying the student, the income should be at least AUD72,592. The students must provide their parents or partner's proof of income through tax assessments or other official government documents. 

SOP Guidelines to be Followed for Australian Student Visa

The Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a mandatory document that all international students must submit along with the Australian visa application form. The document clearly outlines the applicant's purpose of visiting Australia, their ability to support their stay financially, and intentions of leaving the country after completing the study. Discussed here are the key guidelines for writing the Statement of Purpose. 

  • The statement must be in English, not more than 300 words in total, or 2000 characters. 
  • The students must not provide generic statements not backed by proper evidence. 
  • In the introduction section, the applicants should briefly discuss themselves and their family background. 
  • The students should emphasize their academic and professional background in the SOP. The idea should highlight their financial ability to support their education and stay in Australia. 
  • The applicant must also provide practical reasons why they chose Australia to pursue the course of study over their home country or other countries. 
  • The SOP must include complete details of the study program the applicant intends to pursue in Australia. It should have information about the university, including the Certificate of Enrollment. 
  • If there are gaps in previous study or employment, the applicant must also mention the same in the statement along with genuine reasons. 
  • The statement must also clearly highlight the student's future goals and intent to leave Australia after completing the course. This should be evidence-based i.e. by providing proof of family, social, or financial ties in their home country. 

Minimum Duration to Get an Australian Students Visa for International Students

The Australian Student Visa Subclass 500 allows international students to stay in Australia and pursue a course of study or training for up to 5 years. This should be in line with the duration of the course program. 

Reasons to Know – Australian Student Visa Application Rejection 

Check out the primary reasons why Australian student visa applications may get rejected. 

  • The application may be rejected if the student does not meet Australian Home Affairs' good health and character requirements. 
  • Providing wrong or false information in the visa application may also be denied. 
  • If the applicant cannot provide proof of sufficient funds to live and study in Australia, the immigration officers may deny visa approval. 
  • Not fulfilling the English Language Proficiency requirements is another reason of getting the visa application rejected. This is especially true for students applying from a non-native English-speaking country. 
  • If the applicant does not answer the interview questions with clear purpose and honesty, then the Immigration and Borden Protection authorities have the right to reject the visa application. 

Conclusion 

Australia is an excellent country to pursue education in any field of study and improve one exposure to lucrative career opportunities. The visa process for international students is simpler as compared to other countries. Obtaining a student visa allows the candidate to study any eligible course, live, and even work in Australia. After completing the course, one can also pursue a career in Australia and apply for a work visa.   

The Ministry of Home Affairs has been lenient on international students in terms of visa application and one must meet all the requirements to get a visa. The students also have the option to get enrolled in any prestigious university in Australia for high quality of education and cultural environment. 

Study Abroad
Visa Application
Study in Australia
Visa Documents
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants