Internship Opportunities in Australia for Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 26/08/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Requirements for Taking up Internships in Australia 

Australian organizations allow Indian students to begin internships at any stage of their academic life. As expected, certain professions require students to compete more than others to get a suitable job. For example, students looking for civil engineering jobs in Australia or mechanical engineering jobs in Australia need to face stiffer competition than people of other professions. However, an excellent academic career is almost always the most prominent factor influencing the selection.

Some basic requirements one must meet to do an internship in Australia are as follows:

  • A well-written CV (curriculum vitae) featuring all academic and professional accomplishments of the applicant
  • Documents supporting educational degrees (both ongoing and completed ones)
  • A filled-out internship application form
  • A deposit of $500 in Australian dollars
  • Excellent knowledge of the English language

Types of Visas Required for Internships in Australia 

Perfect planning and thorough knowledge about the common factors resulting in visa rejection make acquiring an Australian visa seamless. Australia has multiple visa categories for international students visiting the country for internships. The most common ones among them are:

Occupational Trainee Visa: This visa is for overseas students seeking occupation training relevant to their academic qualifications. This visa type allows people to work in the country for a limited period.  

Student Visa: Getting internships is relatively easier for international students who study in Australia. These are people with Australian student visas. Condition 8105 of this visa type allows people studying in the country to do the following:

  • Work full-time after graduation
  • Work full-time during breaks.
  • Participate in an internship and work for up to 48 hours per fortnight (the time increased from 40 to 48 hours, effective from July 1, 2023) throughout the semester.

Working Holiday Visa: Indian students can quickly get this visa type to join an internship in Australia. This visa typically remains valid for 12 months. However, people might get it extended when more time is required.

Tips to Acquire an Internship in Australia 

Completing an internship in Australia can be challenging. Things are particularly difficult for individuals looking for jobs for international students in Australia in fields like engineering, marketing, and finance. However, following the tips below can help them get their desired internship:

Early Application: Top companies typically come up with internship programs with set deadlines. This makes early submission of applications crucial for getting the desired job.

Customized Application: Both the resume and cover letter must be customized according to the requirements of the particular internship the aspirant is looking to join. Highlighting relevant experience and skills is mandatory.

Intelligent Networking: Aspirants should attend networking events like career fairs to create relevant connections. These events will allow them to introduce themselves to professionals in their field and learn about various internship opportunities.

Joining Unpaid Internships: Students must always aim to participate in paid internships. However, joining unpaid ones can also be helpful as those positions provide students with great networking opportunities and valuable experience. This option suits candidates staying in Australia on a student visa.

Creating an Attractive LinkedIn Profile: It’s common for employers to consult the LinkedIn profiles of potential candidates for various vacancies in their company. So, Indian students looking for suitable Engineering jobs or MBA jobs in Australia must have a well-written LinkedIn profile featuring all their academic and career highlights.

The LinkedIn profile must be complete and feature a clear, professional headshot. Connecting with professionals belonging to the same field of study as the profile owner will increase their chances of getting a suitable internship. The list of connections should ideally include as many hiring managers and recruiters as possible.

Benefits of Taking up Internships in Australia 

Indians are good at speaking and writing English thanks to the curriculum set by most Indian schools, colleges, and academic authorities. As Australia is an English-speaking nation, Indians don’t face any language barrier.

What’s more, the country already has many Indians working there. Some of them are even staying there for two or more generations. This means Indians doing internships in the country will not struggle to find restaurants serving Indian food. They will also get to celebrate Indian festivals.

Get admission to top universities, connect with Medicon Overseas

Other than that, Australia exposes Indian students to a different kind of landscape than what they experience in their homeland. They can participate in a wide array of activities, including camping, biking, hiking, surfing, etc., post-internship.

Other benefits may include:

  • They will get to develop professional skills such as communication, problem-solving, teamwork, etc.
  • They will get to know the industry they want to work in
  • They will become more attractive as candidates by adding relevant work experiences to their resume

Top Summer Internships for Students in Australia 

International Study and Internship Program by CAPA Sydney: Joining this program will allow students to study and work simultaneously. The program is meant for people belonging to all possible fields. One can join this program at any time during a given year.

Internships by Connect-123: This program is a doorway to jobs for international students in Australia and all other types of interns, including working professionals and recent graduates. Connect-123 assists internship aspirants in the country with logistics. For example, they help them to find accommodation and placement.

Internships by Inter OZ: This program is all about experimental learning. Individuals studying at universities in Australia for international students can join this program to get the best possible internship opportunity in the country. Individuals joining this program also get assistance with events, housing, airport transfers, and emergency support.

Steps to Find the Right Internship Program in Australia

Step 1: Decision Making

Internship aspirants should begin by deciding which Australian city they want to intern in. They must also decide at what time of the year they will want to arrive in the country. Factors to consider when making these decisions include budget, academic schedule, and Australian weather.

Step 2: Research 

Students must perform meticulous research to find the best mechanical engineering jobs in Australia, civil engineering jobs in Australia, or MBA jobs in Australia. The same applies even to internship opportunities in the arts and agriculture industries. Many reputable companies in the country offer internships to qualified candidates. It’s up to the students to prove their credentials.

Step 3: Gathering Information on Visa Requirements and Applying for Visa 

Indian students must check the visa requirements carefully before applying for an internship. If they are already in Australia, they must ensure they have the right visa, i.e., the one that allows them to take an internship there.

Temporary Activity Visas and Student Visas are two visa types that provide such permission. However, depending on the kind of internship an individual is looking for, they may need a different visa. Such people will need to submit fresh visa applications. Submitting a fresh visa application is mandatory, even for people looking to enter Australia for an internship.  

Step 4: Getting Documents Ready 

This step is crucial for completing the application process smoothly. In this step, the applicants must arrange documents supporting their academic qualifications, professional experience, etc. Additionally, they should also have a well-written resume ready.

Step 5: Submitting Applications for Internship 

Applicants must remember all application instructions listed by the companies they are looking to join for an internship when applying. They must submit all applications within the specified deadline and all necessary documents. Shortlisted candidates must arrive for an in-person or phone interview before the employer takes the final call.  

Step 6: Securing Internship 

An excellent academic history, a well-written CV, and a great interview will allow Indian students to get their desired internship opportunities in Australia. Not all jobs for international students in Australia are paid ones. If it’s not a paid internship, the candidate must take steps to arrange funds for completing the same.

Study Abroad
Study in Australia
StudyAbroad
studyinaustralia
postdegreejobs
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 228 Answers - 242
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants