Navigating the Path to the Medical Studies in Australia

Study Abroad Team 08/08/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Why Should You Consider Taking up Medicine in Australia?

The foremost reason is validity. The MCI or Medical Council of India considers an MBBS degree from an authorized Australian university valid. Indian students can start practicing as doctors in their home country right after completing their MBBS in Australia. They will not need to pass the MCI screening test. However, getting an Indian license is a must. The degree is also valid in all other parts of the globe.

People choose Australia to study MBBS instead of joining universities offering MBBS in Germany for Indian students or MBBS in the USA for Indian students because of the standard of colleges there. The country has some of the most respected medical colleges in the world.

These institutions produce hundreds of skilled and well-rounded medical professionals each year. Attending classes in these Australian medical colleges will allow Indian students to learn from experienced physicians and renowned medical professionals.

The next reason is the constant demand for doctors in Australia. According to experts, the demand will keep rising even in the future, which is good news for international students who want to stay back in the country. Recently obtained numbers suggest that the next five years will see an increase of 11-25% in the job opportunities available for MBBS doctors in Australia.

The earning opportunity will be great for these doctors as Australia is known for its high salaries. On average, a general practitioner in Australia earns 215,000 AUD (around INR 1.18 crore) annually. Like in any other country, the medical facility generating the maximum salary is surgery. Surgeons working in Australia earn an average salary of 400,000 AUD (INR 2.20 crore).

Lastly, many top universities offering MBBS in Australia for Indian students have very nominal fees. So, many students decide to complete their degree at an Australian university instead of universities offering MBBS in Germany for Indian students or MBBS in the USA for Indian students.

Exams to Take up to Pursue Medicine in Australia

Indian students pursuing medicine in Australia must pass the International Student Admissions Test (ISAT). Students must sit for both University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT) and ISAT if their residency status changes during the selection phase. Indian students, who intend to return to their home country after completing their MBBS, must sit for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) exam and pass it.

All international students visiting Australia to complete their MBBS must sit for an English language proficiency test. They must score at least 7 points on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. For students appearing for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the score should be between 100 and 105. However, most Indian students applying for MBBS at an Australian university have a higher score between 108 and 112.

Eligibility Criteria for Students to Take up Medicine in Australia

Individuals looking to study MBBS in the country must be at least 17. They must pass their higher secondary exam from a recognized board in India with mathematics, biology, and chemistry as subjects.
Australia has certain exceptions when it comes to eligibility for MBBS students. For example, medical colleges in the country allow Indian students to study MBBS after they have completed their BSc in nursing. Colleges in the country have the cheapest nursing courses in Australia for international students.

Candidates who don’t have enough money to do their MBBS in Australia can first complete their nursing degree in the country. They can pursue MBBS after they start earning as a professional nurse.
However, to study MBBS after completing BSc nursing, one should appear for the Graduate Medical School Admission Test. The candidate will get a university seat for pursuing MBBS after passing the test.

Required Documents for Medical Admissions in Australia

Candidates applying to universities offering MBBS in Australia for Indian students should submit copies of the following documents:
• 10 and 12th mark sheets and certificates
• Birth certificate
• School leaving certificate
• UCAT scorecard
• Passport
• Bank statement
• Student visa
• Health insurance documents
The above documents should be accompanied by passport-size photos of the candidate and a personal statement.

Top Universities in Australia for an MBBS Degree

Most Indian MBBS students in Australia do their specializations in psychological science, dental surgery, medicine, and various advanced fields of medical sciences. Some of the best Australian institutions offering these courses are:

  • University of Melbourne
  • University of Sydney
  • James Cook University
  • Monash University
  • University of Adelaide
  • University of Newcastle

Medical Fee Structure and Curriculum in Australia

Fee Structure and Scholarships: Indian students must spend around 64,000 AUD to 96,000 AUD every year to study MBBS in Australia. It makes the yearly expenses range between 35,00,000 INR and 52,50,000 INR in Indian currency. The costs of accommodation and food will require separate calculations.
There’s the option to apply for scholarships for all Indian students. These scholarships typically offer an amount ranging between 10,000 AUD and 100,000 AUD. The government of Australia offers two scholarships to international students:

  • Destination Australia Program
  • Australia Awards Scholarships

Other than these, candidates can also apply for scholarships at their respective medical colleges. However, one must remember that getting a scholarship is not easy before applying. Only students with exceptional academic careers and great leadership potential can receive a scholarship.

MBBS Curriculum: MBBS in Australia is typically an undergraduate degree course and takes five to six years to complete. The course curriculum requires students to study all the crucial subjects that ensure success in the medical field. Here are some prominent topics each year’s course covers:

  • 1st Year: Human Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, and Bio-organic Chemistry
  • 2nd Year: Microbiology, Patient Care, Emergency Medicine, Physiology
  • 3rd Year: Biostatistics, Radiology, Pharmacology, Pediatrics, Ecology, Pathomorphology
  • 4th Year: Surgery, Medical Psychology, Ophthalmology, Neurology, Urology, Gynecology, Tuberculosis, Narcology, Social Medicine
  • 5th Year: Obstetrics, Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology, Genetics Oncology
  • 6th Year: General Practice

Besides the above topics, students must choose elective courses as part of their MBBS curriculum.

Job Opportunities for Medical Students in Australia

Upon completing MBBS in Australia, Indian students can either return to their home country or stay back and practice there. The second option will be more financially profitable, considering the compensation disparity offered in the two countries.

Australia is a multicultural nation known for its high standard of living. So, regardless of whether a doctor works in a country, community, or town, he or she will get a great opportunity to showcase and hone his or her skills. Employers even support candidates in completing further training and education.

International students completing their MBBS degree in Australia are called International medical graduates. The same term is also sued to refer to people with a medical degree outside Australia or New Zealand. These professionals can work in remote, rural, and regional areas in Australia.

MBBS degree holders can work in various positions in Australia. The most popular options among them are:

  • Medical officer
  • Cardiologist
  • Dermatologist
  • Neurologist
  • Radiologist
  • Obstetrician
  • Anesthetist
  • General Practitioner
  • Audiologist
  • Hospital Administrator
  • Nuclear medicine practitioner

An individual studying at a college offering MBBS in Australia for Indian students needs to have a student visa. However, to work as a doctor in the country, the person must acquire a visa sponsorship to first allow them to become the country’s permanent resident and then a citizen.

MBBS
Study Abroad
Study in Australia
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants