Animation and Gaming in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Canada has the world's leading animation industry making study in Canada much sought out by students who aspire to study abroad. Students who wish to learn Animation can hone their skills and use this craft to express their imagination visually.

Highlights of the Animation and Gaming Course in Canada

Animation will enable students to use their art of Animation, character design, graphics, and video production to make engaging video games. Industries that hire animators are film, television advertisement, cartoons, and gaming. Gaming is a billion-dollar industry that offers animators a valuable opportunity to kick-start their careers.

Animation includes 2D and 3D Animation, Digital Animation, VFX, illustration, and computing. When we narrow it down to training students for computer game design, it includes audio engineering programming design, among other things.

Why Study Animation and Gaming in Canada?

The scope of jobs in the animation field is extensive in Canada. Animators can bring their stories to life through evolving technology, innovation, and the endless pit of their imagination. World-famous animation studios like Pixar, DreamWorks, Insomniac, and Disney give animators lifetime opportunities to showcase their skills. Students become industry-ready to use their skills taught in Canada's best universities for work in modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. 

Types ofAnimation and Gaming Courses in Canada

There are many courses in Canada for any student seeking a master's degree in Animation and Gaming. They have Bachelor's and Graduate degrees in Animation, VFX, Computer Animation, and Digital Visual Effects. Other courses are 3D Computer Animation, Computer Animation and Visual Effects, and Digital and Visual Communications.

There are also degrees for game development: Bachelor of Game Development and Master of Game Development. These degrees provide hands-on experience working on creative projects. The courses equip students with the skills to use 3D game programming tools to turn their ideas into playable demos.

List of Universities Offering Courses in Animation and Gaming

  • Max The Mutt College of Animation, Art and Design- This University offers diploma programs for studying animation. They include Classical and Computer Animation and Production, Illustration and Storytelling for Sequential Arts, and Concept Art for Animation and Video Games. They prepare students to be ready for the animation market and industry. 
  • Sheridan College, Oakville—Their undergraduate course in Animation and VFX enables students to utilize their creativity and technical skills. Students participate in projects and learn professional production animation.
  • Capilano University—This school is ranked first for Animation in Canada. It teaches students to improve their technical skills in modeling, texturing, and VFX. Students are taken through each element and tool in the animation process with advanced animation software. In this way, they become ready to work in studios and understand the process.
  • Vancouver Film School—This college is among the top 10 schools for studying and designing video games in the world. It has best-in-class facilities and state-of-the-art equipment for students to develop their creative skills and gain technical skills. 
  • Seneca College- Their courses include 2D/ 3D Character Animation, Digital Photography, Game Art and Design, and Visual Effects for Film and Television. They encourage a networking environment for students to connect with renowned professionals from the digital animation industry. 

Admission Process

Potential students wishing to enroll in a program in any animation or gaming course need to fill out the university's application form before the deadline. They must select the degree and fill in personal details and educational qualifications. Students should keep track of their applications and be prepared for the interview process.

Eligibility Criteria

Most universities offering a Graduate or a Bachelor's degree in Animation or Gaming expect applicants to have a creative portfolio of their digital designs. What is mandatory is having a first or second-class degree from a related stream. The stream can be Animation, illustration, visual communication, or graphic design. They must also have an IELTS score of not less than 6.5, or the minimum TOEFL score should be 68.

Documents Required

Along with their undergraduate degree transcripts, students must submit a Statement of Purpose (or Personal Statement), a Resume, and at least two references. They must also submit proof of work experience, portfolios, and passport documents.

Proficiency Test

 International students must take an English language proficiency test, the IELTS or TOEFL, as part of the entry requirements. Every university has a minimum score requirement for IELTS and TOEFL, which differs from college to college.

Visa Process

The student visa process requires different documents, without which a Canadian visa cannot be granted. These include a passport, medical exam certificate, a Canadian study permit (CIC), an unconditional acceptance letter, bank statements, and a student loan document (if needed). Other documents, like birth certificate affidavit, are also required when a name change. An IELTS certificate is also needed, and a personal checklist code should be acquired.

Cost of Studying Master's in Animation and Gaming in Canada

  • Tuition Fees- The tuition fees of top universities offering Master's in Animation or Gaming range from 25,000 to 90,000 CAD for international students. The tuition fees depend on which university they apply to.
  • Cost of Living—Students' living costs depend on where they stay during their program. They can vary from 15,000 to 20,000 CAD per year, including accommodation fees and other necessities like food, etc. 

Scholarships to Study Animation and Gaming in Canada

Universities provide partial and fully funded scholarships, and they have their eligibility criteria for scholarship applicants. 

Apart from these, specific countries provide scholarships for their citizen students. These vary from country to country. Canada's government also offers scholarships, ASEAN Scholarships, and Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. 

Job Opportunities for Animation and Gaming in Canada

Canada has world-renowned visual effects studios like Sony Imageworks, DNEG, and ZOIC. These companies provide abundant 3D animation jobs. Roles vary from animator to texture artist to 3D generalist to character designer to modeler to architectural visualizer. 

FAQS

1. How Long Does It Take To Obtain A Degree In Game Development?

A bachelor's degree in game development takes about four years, whereas a master's degree takes 2 to 4 years.

2. How is Canada the Best Country to Study Animation?

Canada's courses provide students with opportunities to gain industry-level experience in the animation and video game production sector. In addition, Canada houses the ten best universities out of 25 in the world for animation degrees. 

3. Which is the Best Institute for Studying Animation in Canada?

Max, The Mutt College of Animation, Art and Design, Sheridan College, Oakville, Capilano University, Vancouver Film School, and Seneca College, are the best animation universities in Canada.

4. What skills are required for a Master's In Game Development in Canada?

Programming, game design, 3D modeling, and animation are the skills required to excel in game development. Other skills include computer graphics, game engine proficiency, problem-solving, collaboration, creativity, and project management. 

5. What Qualifications Are Required To Be A Game Developer In Canada?

A bachelor's degree is essential in similar fields like computer science, software engineering, or game development. Plus, a good portfolio that shows experience and passion is always a plus.

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants