Arts and Design in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Arts and Design Course in Canada

Arts and Design is a three—to four-year study program at the bachelor's level with two years at the master's level. The top Universities, outstanding teaching methods, and career prospects make it worth enrolling in for students who wish to study in Canada. 

  • The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) accredited art and design status by NASAD since 2009
  • The top Canadian colleges use excellent artistic methods and Design with a digital approach to help aspirants become the best artists. 
  • The latest studio labs are used to help the aspirants hone their artistic skills better. 

Why Study Arts and Design in Canada?

Canada is artistically a country of diverse people. The rich traditions and history are significant reasons for my selection of a Canadian University to pursue Arts and Design. Some prominent reasons are:

  • Canada is a Multicultural Place:Canada is a multicultural and diverse environment where students can grow and gather knowledge of art. Students can exchange knowledge and ideas and explore new options when studying with students from other countries in Canadian Universities.  
  • Get Quality Education:Canadian universities offer top-class education. Art degrees help aspirants learn better about art and keep up with the latest developments in art and Design. The top Canadian universities focus on modern and futuristic learning that helps meet the course needs of the students and builds a positive educational environment for the students to study.
  • Stable Country's Economy: The stable economic condition of the countries creates a foundation for students to explore various options after completing any study program. Several top companies are growing in the country, offering better scopes for the aspirants. 

Types of Arts and Design Courses in Canada

The popular arts and design courses to study at the top Canadian universities are: 

  • Fine arts 
  • Media arts
  • Painting
  • Photography 
  • Sculpture
  • Visual communication 
  • Creative study 

However, aspirants can opt for bachelor's and master's degrees in the course program, depending on their choice and qualifications. 

List of Universities Offering Courses in Arts and Design

  • Conestoga College
  • York University 
  • St. Lawrence College
  • George Brown College
  • Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology 
  • OCAD University 
  • Concordia University 
  • Emily Carr University of Art and Design 
  • Carleton University 
  • Toronto Metropolitan University 
  • Nova Scotia College of Art and Design (NSCAD) University
  • Simon Fraser University
  • University of Calgary 
  • Loyalist College 
  • North Island College 
  • Mohawk College 

Admission Process 

  • Students have to apply through the online university portal 
  • The next step is to fill up the necessary details relating to the course study 
  • Aspirants have to give the correct educational background details in the online application 
  • Statement of purpose 
  • Student visa and valid passport 

Eligibility Criteria for Graduation 

Many colleges ask for the applicant's art and design work portfolio to review. Other colleges consider courses the students have taken during their high secondary or bachelor's degree program.

  • Entry score: 6.5 
  • High school applicants should score a minimum of 65% to 70% 
  • English 30-1
  • Should have eligibility for other 30-level subjects 
  • Should be eligible for a 30-level subject of fine arts 

In this regard, any transfer applicant should have a minimum of 2.2 GPA out of 24 credits to qualify for admission to the course. 

Eligibility Criteria for Master's Degree 

  • Entry Score: 7.0
  • PTE: 68

Documents Required

  • Educational documents from high school and relevant certificates 
  • Language proficiency test score 
  • Additional course study on arts and Design 
  • CV
  • Recommendation letter 
  • Statement of intent 
  • Thesis topic (when applying for a master's degree)
  • Writing sample (for Masters and PhD degree)
  • Portfolio 

Proficiency Test

TOEFL 

  • CBT: 190 
  • PBT: 520
  • iBT: 68

IELTS

  • Academic test score: 6.5 overall 
  • Each band score should be 6.0

Visa Process

An aspirant needs to follow the correct steps to get a timely study permit. It can help you get a visa to pursue higher studies at Canadian universities. The documents required for the same are:

  • Academic details
  • Educational references
  • Employment reference
  • Statement of purpose
  • Letter of intent 
  • Proof of payment for the course 
  • Proof of financial background 
  • Certificate of extracurricular activity, if any 
  • Acceptance letter from an educational institute 

However, depending on the student's home country, one may have to undergo a medical examination. 

Cost of Studying Arts and Design in Canada

The cost depends on the study program, level of institution, and degree type. On average, a bachelor's degree costs CAD$12000 to CAD$25000, while a master's degree costs CAD 13,000 to CAD 41,000.  

1. Tuition Fees

  • Bachelor's Degree: NR 2,075,036
  • Master's Degree: INR 2,815,868

2. Cost of Living

  • Rent: 1000 to 1500 CAD
  • Transportation : 90 CAD
  • Food: 100 – 500 CAD
  • Others :500 CAD  

Scholarships to Study Arts and Design in Canada

There are many scholarship funds from top universities for students applying for arts and design courses in Canadian Universities. 

  • Davidson Fellows Scholarship:The scholarship is for young aspirants who have to study abroad in Canada. The amount under this scholarship is $50000. 
  • Betty Harlan Memorial Art Scholarship:Students who are willing to pursue any degree in visual arts can avail of this scholarship. High school students can get this and should have a GPA of 2.75/4.0.
  • SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund :The scholarship amount is $500, and it helps students pay their tuition fees. It covers all technical and academic disciplines. 
  • Trent University Entrance Scholarships :It is available from Trent University for undergraduate students. It weaves off CAD$1000 to CAD 3000.
  • International Regional Entrance Scholarship :Lakehead University offers this scholarship and waives the tuition fees for eligible candidates. Undergraduate students of all nationalities can apply for the scholarship. 
  • Max MacLaggan Scholarship:The University of Alberta arranges for the scholar. It waives a student's tuition fees and applies to students with master's degrees. 

Job Opportunities forArts and Design in Canada

Tech companies provide employment opportunities for graduates with degrees in arts and Design in Canada. There is employment scope in large and small companies across Canada. An artist can earn CAD 52000 to CAD 60000 on average, and a graphic designer can earn CAD 60000 to CAD 65000 on average.

FAQs   

1. What are the Main Highlights of the Arts and Design Program in Canada?

Students can gain in-depth knowledge of design art, design methods, and digital approaches. Aspirants can learn better from industry experts. 

2. Are the Scope for Designers in Canada?

There is increasing demand for graphic designers and artists in various tech companies across Canada. 

3. What are the Language Requirements to Study Arts and Design in Canada?

The proficiency test includes – IELTS, TOEFL, CAE, PTE, and CPE.

4. Is Canada the Best Place to Study Art and Design?

The high value of the degree and the top-level education are the primary reasons for studying art and Design in Canada. 

5. Is there Enough Scope for Artists in Canada?

There are several employment sectors in Canada where there is a high need for art degree-holding experts. 

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants