Health Science in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Health Science in Canada

Many students opt to pursue a course in health science after completing a higher secondary examination or equivalent. Their sole objective is to promote holistic development at the individual and community levels worldwide. One rapidly growing medical branch is Health Science, with a significant focus on public health. 

The Health Science course helps students train in the domain that encompasses practical, social, and biological perspectives. Graduates with a degree in Health Science play an instrumental role in developing the holistic health of the population worldwide. 

Why Study Health Science in Canada?

Students from around the globe choose Canada to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate program in Health Science. Here are the reasons why they chose this nation over any other. Canada boasts some of the world’s top universities with state-of-the-art infrastructure. Apart from high-end academic facilities, the study-friendly environment makes top-ranked higher education institutes stand out. 

Most universities that offer Health Science courses have a faculty of highly qualified and experienced teachers. Students prefer pursuing this program in Canada because of the flexibility of top-quality study materials and fee payment.  The job market in Canada offers multiple job opportunities for Health Science graduates. Most of these graduates take advantage of the lucrative and rewarding job options and earn handsome salaries on a yearly basis.

Types of Health Science Courses in Canada

Canadian higher education institutions offer various health science courses, ranging from nursing to medical sciences. Apart from bachelor’s and master’s programs, many international students pursue diplomas in health science in Canada. Top Canadian universities allow the teaching staff to employ ample cutting-edge technology and tools.

  • Bachelor in Health Science
  • Bachelor in Healthcare Management
  • BA in Health and Community Service
  • Masters in Health Science
  • Masters of Science in Medical Science
  • Diploma in Health Sciences
  • Graduate Diploma in Community Health

List of Universities Offering Health Science Courses in Canada

  • University of Waterloo
  • University of Ottawa
  • University of Toronto
  • University of Manitoba
  • Carleton University
  • Brock University
  • Simon Fraser University

Health Science Course Admission Process in Canada

Students from India and several other nations flock to Canada to pursue a course in Health Science. Every student must conduct the admission process flawlessly. Adhering to the guidelines of Canadian colleges and universities is imperative to secure admission to the desired Health Science Program. 

Interested students must confirm whether they require a valid ETA, which stands for Electronic Travel Authorization, before leaving their own country. Visa-exempt foreigners need an ETA when visiting Canada or transiting through the nation. Citizens of the US and visitors who have Canadian visas within the validity period are exceptions.

Applying to a Health Science program before the deadline is a must.

Submission of all requisite documents along with the course application form has to be done correctly. It is essential to file an application for an entry visa and a study permit right away after receiving the letter from a Canadian university.

Eligibility Criteria

  • The eligibility requirements for Health Science courses vary from one Canadian Institute to another. Moreover, the criteria are different for domestic and international applicants. It is advisable to visit the official website of the higher education institutes that offer wide-ranging Health Science courses to gain proper knowledge of the admission requirements. Here are the standard eligibility criteria.
  • An applicant must complete the 12th standard, for which having the higher secondary examination pass certificate or equivalent is necessary. 
  • Obtaining a high score in TOEFL or IELTS is essential to prove proficiency in the English language.
  • Everyone applying to a Health Science course at a Canadian college or university has to be 19 years of age, at least at the beginning of the first semester. 
  • The applicant has the option to apply for either the fall or spring semester. 

Documents Required

International students who intend to apply for a Health Science course in Canada need to submit these crucial documents.

  • At least three letters of recommendation
  • Professional or academic references
  • A statement of purpose
  • English Language Proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) score
  • Academic Transcripts
  • Curriculum Vitae

Proficiency Test

Applicants must appear for a recognized English Language Proficiency exam, such as IELTS or TOEFL, and score at least the minimum marks that a university requires. Proving proficiency in the English language gives international students an edge and increases their chances of securing admission at their preferred Canadian institute.

Visa Process

Having a proper, valid Canadian visa before opting to study in Canada is paramount. A visa is a compulsory part of a student’s study plans in this country. Interested applicants must apply for a Canadian passport at least six months before admission to a Health Science program at a higher education institute in Canada. Once one gets hold of the visa, one becomes utterly stress-free.

Cost of Studying Health Science Course in Canada

  • Tuition Fees: Different institutes in Canada charge different tuition fees for a Health Science course. The average tuition cost for a 2-year program is between 52,000 and 170,000 CAD. Some institutes offer a 1-year diploma course, the tuition fee for which ranges from 31,000 to 140,000 CAD.
  • Living Expenses: Most international students have to bear around 18,250 CAD per year to stay while studying in Canada. 

Scholarships Available for Health Science in Canada

Various scholarships are available for international students pursuing a Health Science program in Canada.

  • Canada Graduate Scholarships
  • Ontario Graduate Scholarship
  • Dalai Lama Scholarship
  • McCall McBain Scholarship
  • Murray Ross Award

Job Opportunities For Studying Health Science in Canada

After completing a health science course in Canada, most graduates find high-paying jobs in these healthcare domains. The average annual remuneration of a Health Science graduate in Canada is 69,500 CAD.

  • Medical
  • Health Services
  • Health Promotion Services
  • Long-term Care Homes
  • Community Care Centers
  • Medical Centers
  • Pharmaceuticals
  • Biomedical Products

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What can one do after obtaining a degree in Health Science in Canada?

One can successfully pursue and establish an excellent career in one or the other healthcare field and make good money.

Which are the two most sought-after Master’s programs in Health Science in Canada?

M.Sc. in Health Sciences and M.Sc. in Medical Science

Which subjects in Health Science guarantee a lucrative and rewarding career?

Dentistry, Health Administration, Psychology, and Bioengineering are the most coveted subjects among international students.

What grades does one require to apply for a Health Science program?

An applicant must secure at least a minimum of 60% aggregate in Applied Math, Biology, Chemistry, and English.

Which Canadian province is ideal for a Health Science program?

Nearly every Canadian province has top-ranked higher institutes renowned for offering high-quality Health Science programs. 

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants