Medicine in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Medicine Course  in Canada

Canada is one of the most popular overseas destinations for Indian students to study medicine. Most Canadian universities have high academic standards and world-class infrastructure making study in Canada much sought out by students globally. The 2022 QS Rankings state that 17 of 670 medical universities are Canadian. The country's immigration-friendly policies, top universities, and high-class research facilities make it attractive for students aspiring to study medicine. 

Why Study Medicine in Canada?

Canadian universities are popular for their research facilities and student-centric curriculum. Moreover, the country's academic standards are superior. Most Indian students aspire to study medicine in Canada because of the work permit. Right after completing their studies, students can work as medical practitioners with a work permit. 

The national average salary for doctors in Canada ranges from CAD 280,000 to CAD 500,000 per annum. More than 700,000 students pursue higher studies in medicine each year at leading Canadian universities. The medicine program is offered as an MD degree in Canada. Furthermore, there are numerous scholarships with which Indian students can fund their education.  

Types of Medicine Courses in Canada

The medicine programs in Canada foster empathy, cultural competence, and ethical practice. The curriculum of the Canadian medicine schools emphasizes patient-centered care. Here are the types of courses medical aspirants can pursue in Canada. 

Undergraduate Medicine Programs  :In Canada, undergraduate medicine courses are referred to as Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), and Doctor of Medicine (MD) programs. The curriculum of these courses is extensive and covers a wide range of topics.  The average course duration of the undergraduate MBBS and MD programs ranges from four to six years. The course fees range from CAD 30,000 to CAD 98,000 annually.

Listed are the undergraduate medicine courses taught in Canadian universities.  

  • MD in Family Medicine 
  • MD in Cardiology 
  • MD in Neurology
  • MD in Internal Medicine 
  • Postgraduate Medicine Programs

The postgraduate medicine degrees in Canada offer numerous courses designed for healthcare professionals. These programs cater to the various career paths within the medical field, including clinical practice, research, etc.  The duration of the course for pursuing a postgraduate degree in medicine usually ranges from three to five years. The course fees vary between CAD 55,000 and CAD 93,000.

Some of the specializations for postgraduate programs in medicine are as follows: 

  • Surgery 
  • Pediatrics
  • Radiology 
  • Dermatology 
  • Ophthalmology  

List of Universities Offering Medicine Courses 

Here is the list of the best universities offering courses in medicine to Indian students.   

  • University of Toronto 
  • McMaster University 
  • University of Alberta 
  • University of Ottawa 
  • McGill University  
  • University of British Columbia 

Admission Process 

The medicine program is offered as an MD degree in Canada. The duration of the program can range from three to four years. Candidates should have science in their high school to apply for the medicine programs in Canadian universities. Aspirants willing to study at the University of Toronto or McGill University must have excellent academic records. Students should submit their English proficiency test scores during the time of admission. 

Eligibility Criteria

Besides securing an IELTS score of more than 7, students should have good grades in the MCAT. All candidates for MD programs in Canada are required to appear for the MCAT. The Medical College Admission Test, also known as MCAT, is computer-based. Medical aspirants must secure a score of 510 for admission to the Canadian universities.  

Documents Required 

Students applying for medical courses in Canadian universities must submit the right documents to get the acceptance letter. The documents that students should submit while applying for a medical course are: 

  • Income proof showing the candidate's family income 
  • Copy of passport
  • Study permission
  • University acceptance letter
  • Aptitude Test

Students seeking admission into Canadian medical schools must have a score of seven in IELTS and 90 in TOEFL. In addition, the candidates must acquire a minimum score of 510 on the MCAT, which evaluates the English Language. Consequently, Indian students pursuing medicine abroad should qualify for the NEET exam.

Visa Process

It is straightforward to apply for a student visa in Canada. For this reason, after receiving the letter of acceptance, students need to begin their application for a study permit. Candidates need to get their permanent visas to enable them to stay in Canada for the duration of their course. 

Cost of Pursuing Medical Courses in Canada

Tuition Fees :A Canadian medical degree may cost between CAD 30,000 and CAD 98,000. Indian students may seek better alternatives, such as applying for scholarships, which are available to help them pay for studying medicine in Canada. The fee payable will also depend on the course and chosen university. 

Cost of Living

  • Accommodation – CAD 10,000
  • Food – CAD 8,000
  • Transportation – CAD 3,000
  • Miscellaneous – CAD 7,000

Scholarships to Study Medicine in Canada

Scholarships are noteworthy as they allow many students to undertake medical studies in Canada. This scholarship is available for applicants who plan on pursuing medicine. 

  • University Scholarships : Most Canadian universities offer scholarships for foreign students whose academic report reflects their leadership capabilities.
  • Canadian Government Scholarships :Canadian government rewards meritorious students with international scholars' programs. The aspirants for this category of program must apply for government sponsored scholarships that will finance their study at various institutions.     

Job Opportunities for Medicine in Canada

Graduates from Canadian medical schools can choose from various job positions in the healthcare sector. These are a few of medical school graduates' most popular job options. 

  • Medical consultant
  • Medical professional 
  • GP (General Practitioner) 
  • Surgeon 

FAQs:

1. What is the Significance of NEET for Indian Students Aspiring to Study Medicine in Canada?

Indian students ought to qualify the NEET exam before applying to medical programs at top Canadian universities. 

2. What Information Is Essential for Those Who Want to Study Medicine in Canada? 

In Canada, obtaining an MD or medical degree requires three to four years of study, and it is recognized worldwide.  

3. Is Earning an MBBS From Canada Worth It?  

The main benefit of getting an MBBS from Canada is its recognition globally. The graduate's MBBS degree will be accepted everywhere, including in India.

4. Is Part-Time Employment Permitted for International Students in Canada? 

Part-time employment is permitted for students at Canadian institutions. Students can work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week.  

5. What are the Employment Opportunities for Medical Students in Canada?

Medical students in Canada have access to excellent job prospects. Medical graduates can select from various job options with attractive pay scales. 

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants