Health Science in Canada:  Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Physiotherapy Course in Canada

Numerous students from India and other nations flock to Canada to pursue physiotherapy courses. Canada is home to some of the top-ranked higher education institutions in the world. Physiotherapy is a sub-domain of medicine and health and a multidisciplinary field of study. 

Pursuing an undergraduate, postgraduate, or diploma course in physiotherapy can enrich students' knowledge of various methods of treating individuals with physical disabilities. Physiotherapists are instrumental in helping people heal and contribute to their well-being.

Physiotherapy classes at reputed Canadian colleges and universities provide theoretical and practical experience. The teaching faculty helps students learn the correct techniques to prepare treatment plans and adapt to each patient's specific requirements.  Students who pursue physiotherapy in Canada learn various exercises, movements, and reflexology. These skills prove immensely beneficial in helping patients overcome their physical disabilities and improve their quality of life.

Why Study Physiotherapy in Canada?

Most international students who want to study physiotherapy choose Canada over other countries. Here are the reasons why physiotherapy programs in Canada are so sought-after among students from foreign countries.

  • Students can select from a wide variety of physiotherapy programs.
  • Canadian higher education institutions offer top-quality physiotherapy courses.
  • Modern infrastructure and facilities make colleges and universities in Canada stand out.
  • Students learn a lot from peers and stay in close connection with industry experts.
  • There are enough employment opportunities for international students after they complete a physiotherapy course at a Canadian institution. 

Types of Physiotherapy Courses in Canada

Students aspiring to study physiotherapy in Canada must complete 12th Grade before pursuing the following programs.

  • Bachelor of Science in Physiotherapy
  • Bachelor of Physiotherapy
  • Master of Science in Physical Therapy
  • Master of Physiotherapy
  • Diploma in Physiotherapy

List of Universities Offering Physiotherapy Courses in Canada

Bagging a degree in physiotherapy from a Canadian university opens the door to lucrative and rewarding career opportunities for international students. Here are the universities in Canada that are renowned for offering physiotherapy programs.

  • Western University
  • University of Toronto
  • Thompson Rivers University
  • McEwan University
  • McGill University
  • University of Alberta
  • University of British Columbia

Physiotherapy Course Admission Process in Canada

Every year, many international students, including Indians and those from various other nations, visit Canada to study physiotherapy. Complying with Canadian colleges and universities' stringent rules and regulations is paramount for international and domestic students to secure admission. 

Every student must conduct the online application process flawlessly to increase their potential to enroll in a physiotherapy program. The admission procedure varies from one particular Canadian institute to another. Therefore, before applying to a physiotherapy course, visiting the official website to get a clear idea about the process is necessary.

  • Irrespective of the level of study a student opts for, adhering to the basic admission processes is paramount. 
  • Collect all necessary documents and submit them, along with the application form.
  • Apply to the desired physiotherapy program before the application deadline.
  • Begin the procedure to apply for housing, loans, scholarships, and, most importantly, a student visa.
  • Connect with classmates and professors virtually after receiving the offer letter from a Canadian institute
  • One can fly to Canada stress-free upon the approval of the student visa

Eligibility Criteria

The eligibility criteria for physiotherapy courses differ from one university in Canada to the other. Additionally, the requirements are different for domestic and international applicants. Here are the essential eligibility criteria.

  • Applicants must complete 12th Grade successfully. 
  • Scoring at least a C in English, Mathematics, and Biology in higher secondary is a must.
  • Candidates who apply for an MPT course must achieve a 60-70% score in medicine or a relevant discipline.
  • Every non-English-speaking international applicant must prove his or her English language proficiency by securing an impressive score in the TOEFL/IELTS.

Documents Required

Submission of some necessary documents is imperative when applying to a physiotherapy program at a Canadian higher education institute. 

  • Academic transcripts
  • Curriculum vitae or Resume
  • Statement of purpose
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Canada student permit or student visa
  • Valid CPR and First Aid certificates

Proficiency Test

Candidates must sit for and score good marks in an English Language proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS. Proving expertise in the English language helps international students who are non-native English speakers secure admission to their coveted Canadian university.

Visa Process

Interested candidates need to apply for a Canadian student visa at least six months before admission to a physiotherapy course at a prestigious college or university in Canada. A valid Canadian passport is a must before boarding a flight to study in Canada. 

Cost of Studying Physiotherapy Course in Canada

  • Tuition Fees: An international student who opts to pursue a bachelor's and master's program in physiotherapy in Canada may be required to pay around 95,480 CAD
  • Living Costs: International students must bear more than 1600 CAD annually to live in Canada.

Scholarships to Study Physiotherapy in Canada

International students who are talented and do not have financial resources to support their studies in Canada can apply for one of the available scholarships for a physiotherapy program.

  • Dr. Richard & Lynne Winter Scholarship
  • Georgian College Entrance Scholarship
  • Scotiabank Graduate Scholarship
  • E Willian Kuder Memorial Graduate Scholarship in Rehabilitation Medicine
  • Strathcona Physiotherapy Research Award

Job Opportunities For Studying Physiotherapy in Canada

International students with a degree in physiotherapy from a Canadian university can bag high-paying jobs after graduation. Here are the available physiotherapy jobs in Canada. The average annual remuneration of a licensed physiotherapist is 86,000 CAD. 

  • Physical Therapist
  • Sports Therapist
  • Acupuncturist
  • Chiropractor
  • Occupational Therapy Specialist
  • Occupational Therapy

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is the average yearly tuition fee to study a physiotherapy course in Canada?

The average annual tuition fee that international students pay is between 12,500 and 22,400 CAD.

What is the duration of a physiotherapy program in Canada?

A bachelor's degree course lasts four years, a master's degree program lasts two years, and a diploma program in physiotherapy lasts three years.

Does a physiotherapist make good money in Canada?

In Canada, the demand for qualified physiotherapists is higher, and it is considered a superior-level category job.

Which are the two most popular physiotherapy programs in Canada?

Physiotherapy and Occupational therapist assistants are Canada's two most sought-after physiotherapy courses.

Is Canada suitable for pursuing a diploma course in physiotherapy?

Indeed, several Canadian institutions offer high-quality diploma courses in physiotherapy. 

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants