Study Engineering in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights About the Course  

Students aspiring to study engineering in Canada should know a few things. A quality engineering degree in Canada is always accredited by the Canadian Professional Engineering Accreditation Board. Five Canadian universities rank among the top hundred engineering institutions in the world. Twenty-eight Canadian universities have been ranked by the QS World Rankings because of their excellence and accomplishments. 

Why Study Engineering Courses in Canada?

Being a progressive country, numerous Indian students are drawn toward engineering courses offered by Canadian universities. Canada's world-class universities, excellent infrastructure, and cultural diversity attract a majority of international students. 

Moreover, Canada's educational system is well-known for its diversity and flexibility. Engineers in Canada earn an average salary of $80,000 annually, which is pretty lucrative. An engineering degree from a Canadian institution will be recognized worldwide. 

Types of Courses  to Study in Canada

The Canadian universities offer international students with in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge. Most Canadian universities offer bachelor's, PhD, and Master's degrees. Here are the types of engineering courses offered by Canadian universities. 

Bachelor's Degree 

The Canadian universities offer a wide range of undergraduate engineering courses. Most of these courses are designed to provide students with a solid foundation in science, mathematics, and engineering principles. The curriculum focuses on theoretical knowledge along with hands-on learning experiences through internships and design projects. 

The average course duration of a bachelor's degree ranges from four to five years. The course fees for pursuing a bachelor's degree in Canada range from CAD 25,000 to CAD 50,000 annually. Here is the list of undergraduate engineering courses taught in Canadian universities. 

  • BTech in Mechanical Engineering 
  • BTech in Computer Engineering 
  • BTech in Civil Engineering 
  • BTech in Biomedical Engineering 
  • BTech in Chemical Engineering 

Master's Degree 

Master's degrees in engineering provide students the opportunity to specialize in a specific niche. They also allow Indian students to advance their careers. Some Canadian universities offer co-op or internship options as part of their Master's in engineering. 

The duration of postgraduate engineering courses ranges from one to two years. On the other hand, the course fees range from CAD 15,000 to CAD 35,000 annually. Listed are the postgraduate engineering courses taught in the Canadian universities.   

  • Master of Engineering in Computer Engineering 
  • Master of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering 
  • Master of Engineering in Civil Engineering 
  • Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering 
  • Master of Engineering in Construction 
  • Master of Engineering in Industrial Engineering 

List of Universities Offering Engineering Courses 

Here is the list of universities offering engineering courses in Canada. 

  • University of Toronto – Ranks 18th globally 
  • University of British Columbia – Ranks 34th in the world 
  • McGill University – Ranks 40th globally 
  • University of Montreal – Ranks 73rd globally  
  • McMaster University – Ranks 69th in the world 

Admission Process 

Applying for engineering courses in Canada can be completed online. Indian engineering aspirants must decide on the course before applying. Once the universities are shortlisted, students should visit each website and carefully review the entry requirements. Aspirants must be aware of the application fees charged by each Canadian university. Once selected, the universities will send a letter of acceptance to the students. 

Eligibility Criteria

Undergraduate engineering aspirants should score a minimum of 70% in 12th grade, and they must secure at least 55% in Mathematics. Their IELTS score should be 6.5. The entry requirements for Indian students aspiring to study postgraduate engineering courses differ slightly. 

Students must complete 16 years of schooling to be admitted to PG engineering courses. Aspirants should have a GPA of at least 3.5 in their UG degree. Prior work experience of students is always an added advantage. Aspirants must obtain 7 in IELTS and 100 in TOEFL for admission to PG engineering degrees.  

Documents Required

Here is the documents required for Indian students to apply to engineering courses in Canada. 

  • Original letter of acceptance from the Canadian university 
  • Proof of English language proficiency 
  • Statement of Purpose 
  • Letters of Recommendation 
  • Academic Transcripts 
  • Passport details 
  • Health information 

Proficiency Test

Students should demonstrate their proficiency in the English language for undergraduate and postgraduate engineering courses. Several tests are accepted in Canada, including TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, etc. The required scores vary based on the university. GRE and GMAT scores are mandatory for students who want to pursue a Master's course in engineering in Canada.    

Visa Process

The overall visa process for studying engineering in Canada is pretty simple. Students should apply for a Canadian student visa only after receiving the university's acceptance letter. Aspirants must provide proof of financial stability to support their educational degree in Canada. They should also submit medical reports to confirm that they're fit and healthy. 

Cost of Engineering Courses in Canada

1. Tuition Fees

An undergraduate engineering course's average annual tuition fee ranges from CAD 10,000 to CAD 40,000. On the other hand, the yearly tuition fee for pursuing a postgraduate degree in engineering from a Canadian university ranges from CAD 12,000 to CAD 55,000. 

2. Cost of Living

Here are the annual expenses for Indian students aspiring to study engineering. 

  • Accommodation – CAD 8,000
  • Food – CAD 6,000
  • Miscellaneous – CAD 4,000
  • Stationary – CAD 1,000

Scholarships for Engineering Courses in Canada

Indian students can apply for the following types of scholarships to study engineering. 

Canada Graduate Scholarships 

The Canadian government offers it and supports students pursuing a Master's in research-based engineering programs. 

McGill Entrance Scholarships 

Sponsored by McGill University, it offers renewable scholarships where applicants are considered automatically. 

Career/Job Opportunities

The following are the typical job opportunities that Indian students with engineering degrees can pursue in Canada. 

  • Biomedical engineer 
  • Mechanical engineer
  • Civil engineer 
  • Mining engineer 
  • Aerospace engineer 
  • Chemical engineer 

FAQs:

1. How Many Hours Can Students Work with a Canadian Student Visa?

Indian students can work for up to 20 hours per week during the semester. They can work full-time during vacations and breaks. 

2. Are there any chances of a Canadian student visa being rejected?

Students have a higher chance of visa rejection if they have uploaded incomplete and fraudulent documents. 

3. What are the Best Cities in Canada to Pursue Engineering Courses?

Some of Canada's best cities to pursue engineering are Montreal, British Columbia, Ontario, etc. 

4. How Good are the Job Prospects in Canada?

There is a higher possibility of finding suitable job opportunities for deserving students right after their degree courses. 

5. Is It Necessary to Maintain a GPA of Above 3 for PG Degrees?

Maintaining a GPA of over 3 is essential to be eligible for postgraduate engineering courses in Canada. 

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants