Study Hospitality Management in Canada: Admissions, Requirements, Courses, Cost, Scholarship, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/04/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Hospitality courses offered in Canada are specifically structured to train aspiring students to gain skills related to hotel operations, knowledge about culinary disciplines, the art of catering, event management, and more. Top-ranking Canadian universities offer hospitality management courses, such as Seneca College, Humber College, and Sheridan College making study in Canada much sought out by students who wish to study abroad. 

Highlights of The Hospitality ManagementCourse in Canada

  • Courses are meant for students pursuing graduate certifications, PG diplomas, and degree certifications. 
  • Admission is given to students with a minimum GPA score of 2.6/4.0 or 81 percent and an IELTS clearance with a minimum score of 6.0. 
  • The tuition fee for this course is relatively low, and Canadian universities also provide numerous scholarships for domestic and international students. 

Why Study Hospitality Management in Canada?

There is a boom in Canada's hospitality industry, with a flourishing market that wants fresh hospitality course graduates and diploma holders. There are plenty of job opportunities for people who have completed the course. 

A job placement website, jobbank.gc.ca, states that between 2019 and 2028, new opportunities for students who have completed hospitality courses can be as much as 43,400 in numbers. At the same time, the salary figure of a Canadian Assistant Hotel Manager can be as high as 35.77 lacs INR. Giving a boost to the hospitality industry, global tourism will reach new heights and reach around 1.8 billion by 2030 (as per the UNWTO future forecast). 

Types of Hospitality Management Courses in Canada

Some of the in-demand hotel management courses in Canada after completion of the 12th standard are:

●       Diploma in Hospitality: Hotel & Restaurants Service Management

It is a 2-year diploma course to prepare students for a great career in the global hospitality industry. Students can use the paid work experience to develop key skills during practice. 

●       Bachelors in Hospitality And Tourism Management 

It is a 2 to 4-year undergraduate degree course available in almost all top universities in the country. The tuition fee may depend on the university to which the students are admitted to pursue the program. Still, the fee may be between 3.90 to 38 lakhs INR for a year. To do a BCom in Hospitality and Hotel Management course, students are required to have a minimum qualification of 6.5 IELTS score to determine their English Language proficiency. Other students must score a minimum of 70% to 75% (overall aggregate) in the subjects, including Mathematics, English, Economics, and Accounts. 

●       MSc in Tourism and Hospitality 

There are 18 postgraduate hospitality and tourism programs offered at Canadian universities. The full course fee can range between 10684 Canadian Dollars and 26348 Canadian Dollars. The courses commence every January. Students receive a master's when they complete a degree program. To obtain a master's certificate, students have to complete almost 18 college courses, including extensive tests and submission of a thesis. 

●       Diploma in Food and Beverage Management 

Students can choose from 22 Diploma courses in Food and Beverage Management. These programs mainly involve the study of food and its properties, including the origin of food and how food and beverages are created or produced, as well as their transportation, storage, and consumption. 

●       Master of Arts in Tourism Management 

The courses related to the MA in Tourism Management teach the appropriate skills to develop and manage tourism. Various universities in Canada offer 21 master's degree programs. 

List of Universities Offering Courses in Hotel or Hospitality Management 

●       Centennial College  offers 1-year course duration graduate certifications in Hotel, Resort, and Restaurant Management. The college also offers a 2-year course in post-secondary academic program in Hotel Operations Management. 

●    Fanshawe College offers a Diploma in Food and Beverage Management, a Diploma in Hotel and Resort Services Management, and a Diploma in Hospitality and Tourism Operations Management. The courses last 75 to 85 weeks. 

●       Royal Roads University offers a Graduate Certificate in Tourism Management, a BA in International Hotel Management, and an MA in Tourism Management. The courses can last from 8 months to 4 years. 

●       University of Guelph offers a 4-year BCom in Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree. 

●       St Clair College  provides a 2-year course at Ontario College - Diploma in Hospitality- Hotel and Restaurant. It also offers an Ontario College Diploma in Tourism- Travel. 

●       Humber College offers a Diploma in Food and Nutrition Management and a Diploma in Hospitality—hotel and Restaurant Operations Management. It also provides a graduate certificate course in Hospitality and Tourism Operations Management. The courses last 1 to 2 years. 

Admission Process

Eligibility Criteria, Documents Required & Proficiency Test

Eligibility criteria and documents required to study Hotel Management programs in Canada include securing minimum educational qualifications such as academic proof from high school (for a bachelor's degree) and a bachelor's degree when applying for PG courses. Mathematics is a prerequisite subject in most of Canada's reputed hotel management academies.  

For English proficiency test scores and GMAT/ GRE scores, international students have to score 6.5 or above in IELTS (to study finance programs). For MBA courses, students need to submit their GMAT or GRE scores. 

Visa Process 

The visa procedure can include applying to the university, appearing for the IELTS exam, getting the university admit card, getting the payment receipt, showing proof of funds and then applying for a visa with all these documents. 

Cost of Studying Hospitality Management in Canada

Tuition Fees & Cost of Living 

The hotel management course in the country for the diploma and UG degree programs can be around 12,12,300 INR per year. The PG diploma, PG degree, and graduate certification courses in hospitality management can be around 12,12, 300 up to 18,18, 670 per year. 

The cost of living in Canada can range between 54,560 INR and 90,940 INR per month, excluding course fees. The budget estimate is centered around a student's basic requirements, such as groceries, food, clothing, transport, etc. 

Scholarships to Study Hospitality Management in Canada

Many scholarships are awarded to international students every year for hotel management courses. It can be college-specific, private funding, or government-aided funding such as scholarships. 

Career Opportunities for Hospitality Management in Canada

There are plenty of job opportunities for students with hotel management certificates in Canada. The average base pay for a hotel manager could be around 31,77,760 INR per annum. Career prospects may include higher education in tourism management, social entrepreneurship, safety management, and more. One could get employment in a leading hotel chain like JW Marriott. Certified students can even gain employment in cruise ships, casinos, or top international brand companies. 

FAQs

1. Is hotel management a good career choice in the country of Canada?

Hotel or hospitality management is a great career choice, especially in Canada, which has a growing tourism industry, a diversified hospitality industry, and a demand for skilled experts. 

2. Can I seek a hotel management course with zero experience in the hospitality industry in Canada?

Most hotel or hospitality management programs are designed for newcomers and those with experience. Some course structures may include internship programs. 

3. What are the most in-demand hotel management PG-level programs in Canada?

Some of the popular course programs include a Diploma in Hotel and Resort Services, a Graduate Certificate in Food and Beverage Management, and an MBA in Hotel Management in Canada. 

4. Can students pursuing diploma programs in hotel management be eligible for scholarships in Canada?

Most reputed universities in the country offer scholarships for international students pursuing a diploma in hotel management. (funds ranging from 1,21,100 INR to 12.12.300 per year). 

5. State the approximate salary scale in Canada for certified hotel management Indian students.

The average salary for Indian students who have completed a hotel management program in Canada can be around 30 lakhs per annum.

Study Abroad
Study in Canada
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants