Standardized Tests to Take Up Studies in Finland

Study Abroad Team 11/08/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The pursuit of top-quality education and a world-class standard of living has embarked on a dream to study abroad for every Indian student. Not only does Finland provide excellent educational amenities, but its outstanding educational system also constantly ranks higher globally. 

“Study abroad consultants” in India recommend Finland as one of the best countries to study in a foreign land. Undoubtedly, the Finnish approach to modern education is one of the best.  

Having said that, one must take several tests as an Indian student to qualify for a prestigious Finnish university or college. 

This article explores the standardized tests every international student must take up to be able to pursue their higher education in Finland. Keep reading ahead to find out.  

Study Programs in Finland 

The study programs in Finland for education after high school are divided into four levels, as discussed below.  

Bachelor’s Degree: 

  • Eligibility Criteria: Higher secondary school certificate and school-leaving certificate 
  • Duration: 3.5 to 4.5 years 

University master's degree: 

  • Eligibility Criteria: A bachelor’s degree from a recognized institute 
  • Duration: 2 years 

UAS master's degree:  

  • Eligibility Criteria: Two years of work experience along with a bachelor’s degree 
  • Duration: 1 to 1.5 years 

Doctoral Degree: 

  • Eligibility Criteria: A master’s degree in a related field of study 
  • Duration: 4 years 

Language Proficiency Tests to Take Up in Finland 

Just like in every other country abroad, students need to clear a language assessment test to get themselves enrolled in any Finnish university. Below are some of the English language proficiency tests that universities in Finland commonly accept as proof of one’s language skills. 

IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Undoubtedly, the IELTS is one of the most popular English language assessment tests, accepted by most universities abroad. The examination consists of four sections: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The exam analyzes an aspirant’s ability to communicate effectively in an English-speaking atmosphere. 

Most Finnish universities accept a total score of 6.5 in the IELTS examination for undergraduate and postgraduate programs and even for a Ph.D. in Finland, including some exceptional universities. Additionally, the fee for a computer-delivered IELTS is around 15,500 INR. Therefore, students are advised to prepare for the examination sincerely, as it is expensive.  

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Like IELTS, TOEFL is another commonly recognized language assessment test that can be an alternative to IELTS. Additionally, the Finland visa authorities readily accept TOEFL as proof of language proficiency while applying for a student visa in the country.  

Top universities that accept TOEFL scores include Tampere University, the University of Turku, and Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology (LUT). Generally, most Finnish universities accept a score between 80-100, varying with every institution. Additionally, the fee for registering for the TOEFL examination is about 16,900 INR, almost the same as IELTS.

 PTE (Pearson Test of English): Another lesser-known alternative, the Pearson Test of English, is recognized by around 3000+ universities and colleges around the globe. PTE Academic is a computer-based examination consisting of three sections: speaking and writing, reading and listening. The test duration is three hours, with an automated scoring system. 

Most universities in Finland accept an overall PTE score of anywhere between 50-70. To get the cutoff score for a specific university, applicants are advised to do online research to prepare according to their goal score. PTE exam fee in India is around 15,900 INR. 

Studies in Finland Without IELTS 

Studying abroad without IELTS might sound impossible. However, certain institutes allow students to enroll in their programs without needing IELTS scores, provided that they fulfill some requirements.  

Direct Application: To study in Finland without IELTS, students would require applying directly to their chosen universities by filling out the application form for those universities.  

Video Interviews: Once shortlisted, students will be asked for an interview that will assess their English-speaking skills. If the applicant receives an acceptance letter from the institute, they will no longer be required to clear IELTS to get their student visa approved.  

General Exams for Universities in Finland 

Besides language proficiency tests, every student must take some compulsory academic tests to study undergraduate, postgraduate, or Ph.D. in Finland. These exams vary based on the field of study and the university into which a student wants to be enrolled.  

Below is a brief list of some mandatory academic examinations most universities in Finland give heavy priority.  

Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT): While SAT isn’t a compulsion for universities in Finland, some institutions might consider SAT scores during the application process of a student. The test is designed to assess a student’s readiness for higher education and can give students an edge when applying for Finish University programs.  

The test consists of three main sections: Evidence-based reading and writing, Math, and an optional essay. The total duration of the examination is 3 hours, excluding the essay, for which students are allotted an extra 50 minutes. Additionally, the SAT exam fee in India is around 7000 INR. 

Graduate Record Examination (GRE): The Graduate Record Examination is a standardized test that assesses students pursuing doctoral or master's programs, such as a Ph.D. in Finland. Just like the SAT, the necessity for this examination for Finish universities isn’t big compared to Indian students studying abroad in the UK or the USA. 

However, some Finnish universities accept GRE scores for postgraduate, doctoral, and undergraduate programs. The GRE consists of Analytical Writing, Quantitative Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning. The total time for the GRE is 3 hours and 45 minutes. Furthermore, Indian students must now pay 18,863 INR for the GRE registration. 

Graduate Admission Management Test (GMAT): For students who wish to pursue management courses in Finland, the GMAT test must assess one’s analytical and quantitative skills. The test consists of four sections, Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA), Integrated Reasoning (IR), Quantitative Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning. The GMAT fee in India is around 22,800 INR.  

 

Study Abroad
Study in Finland
StudyAbroad
TestPrep
Studyinfinland
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants