Fashion Designing in France: Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 31/01/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Fashion design is an industry that involves creating and designing different types of clothing from different eras and trends. It involves not only clothing but also its accessories. It is an ever-changing industry impacted by culture, society, and setting. France is a country that offers the best quality higher education in fashion design in the world. French students, as well as international students, study in France because it encourages a scientific and creative environment.

Highlights About Fashion Designing Course in France

The majority of fashion design courses are taught in English. Paris is the world's fashion capital and has illustrious fashion schools where legendary fashion designers have graduated. This is because students are not just taught about the world of fashion classically. They are also exposed to the industry during their course through workshops with industry experts. They are offered internships with fashion experts and are involved in the process of fashion shows. They even assist designers and create their projects at the same time.

Why Study Fashion Designing in France ?

Fashion design courses are taught in both English and French. France is a country of rich culture, history, and fashion vogue. Top brands and designers are in Paris to showcase their work in the industry. Therefore, students get the best exposure to fashion design in France than any other country. Not only that, students gain hands-on experience in designing projects and networking with top brands in the market.

Types of Fashion Designing Courses in France

Students can take either a bachelor's or master's course in fashion design in schools in France.There are several bachelor programs for students just starting to understand what fashion design means. They are:

  • Fashion Design- Pattern Making
  • Fashion Design and Business
  • Fashion Design- Textile Design
  • Fashion Design and Technology
  • Fashion Sustainability
  • There are many more programs when it comes to doing a Master's in Fashion Design, and they are:
  • Management in Luxury and Fashion Management
  • Fashion Management
  • Fashion Buying and Merchandising
  • Fashion Promotion, Communication and Digital Media
  • Fashion Management and Apparel Major
  • Fashion Technology
  • List of Universities Offering Fashion Designing Programs

Skema Business School- Skema Business School offers an MSc in Luxury and Fashion Management. It teaches students about brand designing, recognizing trends, and how to excel in marketing. They encourage students to go beyond mere manufacturing and selling. 

International Fashion Academy (IFA) is a renowned fashion institution in Paris. Over 1,300 students are enrolled in its bachelor's and master's programs. It offers three bachelor programs. They are Design and Technology, Fashion Marketing, and Fashion Sustainability. Their Master's programs are Contemporary Fashion Design and MBA in Fashion Management (Luxury, Apparel, and Media Major).

Paris Fashion School by PSL- This university offers multidisciplinary programs considering the impact of ecology, sociology, and technology in fashion. That is why they welcome students from interdisciplinary backgrounds. They train them to draw proposals for design projects that would be implementable in all fashion sectors. This includes apparel, ready-to-wear, and luxury sectors.

ESMOD France- Founded in 1841, ESMOD offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Fashion Design, Fashion Business, and Fashion Management. 

LISAA School of Design- This university is a private institution that offers Master's and Bachelor's diplomas in the fashion industry. They are Influencer Fashion, Fashion Design and Business, Pattern Making, Textile Design, and Luxury Management. 

Admission Process to Study in France

Firstly, applicants must choose which programs they want to study and from which university. Once they decide, they must visit the university website and complete the online application form. Then, they must pay the application fee, upload the required documents, and submit the application. If the application is accepted, the next step would be an interview or an entrance exam.

Eligibility Criteria

For undergraduate programs, applicants must complete their high school and be at least 16. Then, they must take the English Proficiency exam for non-native English speakers.For postgraduate applicants, students must have a Bachelor's degree in either Business Administration, Management, Marketing, Media and Communication, or Fashion Design related fields. They need to have some work experience in the area, like internships.

Documents Required

  • Latest academic transcripts
  • Motivation Letter
  • CV
  • Passport
  • Portfolio
  • IELTS or TOEFL score
  • International Health Insurance

Proficiency Test

Most universities have English as their medium of instruction. But they are expected to have a basic understanding of French. Non-native English speakers need to take either IELTS or TOEFL. The minimum IELTS score should be 6.5; in TOEFL, it should be 79 or above.

Visa Process

There are two types of student visas- short-stay and long-stay visas. Short-stay visas are for three months. For long-stay keys, applicants must complete the Campus France application before applying for a visa. First, create an account on the Campus France website, fill out the form, and pay the Campus France fees. Then, an academic interview will be held. After that, applicants can complete the visa application form on the portal and schedule an appointment with VFS France. Students must make sure that all documents and their photocopies are submitted.

Cost of Studying Fashion Designing in France

Tuition Fees- Bachelor's tuition fees to study fashion design are almost INR 9,00,000 annually, and Master's tuition fees start from INR 11,00,000.Cost of Living- Students' living costs in France range from INR 80,000 to INR 1,70,000 monthly.

Scholarships to study in France

Each university has its own set of scholarships that students can apply for while taking admission.

  • IFA- Full Scholarship, Excellence Scholarship, and Distinction Scholarship.
  • The Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Program
  • The Foreign Ministry's Scholarships
  • Erasmus+ Mobility Scholarships 

Job Opportunities on Completion of Fashion Desinging in France

Fashion design graduates have the following opportunities for roles in various industries.

  • Art director
  • Illustrator/Artist
  • Stylist/Costume Designer
  • Independent fashion designer or fashion entrepreneur

FAQS

  • Do French Universities Assist Students in Getting a Job After Graduation?

Yes, they do. Fashion design schools in France expose students to the industry through internships, real-life projects, and networking opportunities. This way, they have the required skills to find a job after graduation.

  • What Skills are Required to be a Fashion Designer in France?

Designers must know design theories, concepts, sewing, garment construction, textiles, and contemporary trends.

  • Do Students Need to Know How to Draw or Sew Before Learning Fashion Design?

For Bachelor's programs, it is not necessary, but for Master's programs, it is essential to have some work experience in the industry.

  • How Long Does Obtaining a Degree In Fashion Design Take?

A bachelor's degree in fashion design is a three-year program, whereas a master's degree is a two-year program.

  • Are There Other Course Options Other Than Full-Time Bachelor's Or Master's?

Many fashion design schools in France, like the IFA, also offer short-term courses. Some examples would be Upcycling Fashion, Future Fashion Tech, Creative Direction, and Fashion Event Planning.

Study Abroad
Study in France
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants