Film Studies in France:

Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 24/01/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Amelie, Napoleon, La Vie en Rose, Amour, and Blue are the Warmest Color, among others. The French film industry has gifted the world some of the best gems in cinema. This proves that studying Film at the best schools in France is an excellent way to kickstart a film enthusiast’s career.

Highlights About the Film Studies Course in France

Film Studies degrees involve studying and applying filming techniques, film editing, film production, and television production. It also involves visual effects, virtual production, documentary production, and film and television writing.

Why Study Film Studies in France?

France is home to some of the best film schools in the world. Film schools in France support film students and give them opportunities to work in the film industry. On top of that, France offers affordable tuition fees to international students compared to other nations. 

Top film schools in France expose students and train them in directing and cinematography. They are also trained in screenwriting, visual effects, sound techniques, and camera work. Students learn to appreciate films and their historical significance.

Types of Film Studies Courses in France

When it comes to film studies, there are many Master’s programs to choose from. 

  • Film
  • Film and Audiovisual Media
  • Film Studies
  • Filmmaking- Cinematography
  • Arts and Creative Industries Management
  • Filmmaking- Directing
  • Communications, Media, and Creative Industries
  • Filmmaking- Editing
  • Photography and Image Making
  • Filmmaking- Screenwriting
  • Transdisciplinary New Media
  • Filmmaking- Production
  • Fashion Film and Photography

The bachelor’s programs that film schools offer in France are:

  • 3 Year Filmmaking Program
  • Directing
  • Editing
  • Screenwriting
  • Production
  • Cinematography
  • Film and T.V.
  • Film Studies
  • Film Art

List of Universities Offering Film Studies Programs

University of Paris

The University of Paris offers world-class training to film students and teaches students the best skills in film studies. This includes theoretical studies like history and terminologies and practical skills like creating visual arts. Their medium of instruction is in both English and French.

ESRA International Film School

This university offers students programs in filmmaking that cover screenwriting, directing, and production. It also teaches students the skills of cinematography, sound, and editing. Even though it is based in Paris, ESRA also has campuses in Rennes and Brussels.

La Femis

Based under the Ministry of Culture and Communication, La Femis is a French state film school. Their core film program consists of seven departments. They are screenwriting, direction, production, cinematography, sound production, editing, and production design. The four-year program involves departmental training in the first three years. In the final year, students are offered exchange placements, and they work on personal research film products. 

EICAR International Film & Television School of Paris

This is a diverse university comprising a student body of over 60 nationalities. This makes the program and its faculty very rich in film perspectives. It provides five Master’s programs. They have an M.F.A. in cinematography, directing, editing, production, and screenwriting. 

New York Film Academy of Paris

This school is excellent for aspiring storytellers and filmmakers. Students can choose from programs like Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Arts, and Associate of Fine Arts. Their postgraduate degrees are Master of Fine Arts and Master of Arts. They also offer an online degree in Entrepreneurial Producing and Innovation (M.A.).

Admission Process or Film Studies in France

Every film school has its admission procedure. NYFA in Paris, for instance, requires applicants to submit an M.F.A. form. Applicants need to submit the necessary documents and creative portfolio through their online portal. If their application is approved, they may be interviewed by phone, virtually, or in person by an NYFA representative.

Eligibility Criteria

Film school applicants must have excellent English language proficiency and good knowledge of aesthetics and the history of cinema and visual arts. Students must have a high school certificate to study a bachelor’s program in filmmaking. For a Master’s degree, applicants must hold an undergraduate degree in filmmaking or any other related subject.

Documents Required

The following documents are required for admission to a film school in France:

  • Completed application form
  • Academic transcripts
  • Statement of Purpose/Narrative Statement
  • Creative Portfolio
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Proof of English Proficiency
  • Passport
  • CV

Proficiency Test

All international students must provide evidence of English language proficiency in the IELTS or TOEFL exam. The minimum score for IELTS is 6.5, whereas the minimum score for TOEFL should be 88.

Visa Process

Students whose study program lasts longer than six months must apply for a temporary long-term visa. This visa comes with a residence permit. Students must apply for the pass three to five months before their intended travel date. Applicants can apply for a visa either from the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs website or the Campus France website.

Cost of Film Studies Programs in France

  • Tuition Fees- The tuition fees in French film schools range from INR 9,00,000 to INR 19,00,000.
  • Cost of Living- The living costs for students is around INR 10,00,000 per year

Scholarships to Study Film Studies in France

There are many scholarship options for international students applying to film schools.

  • Study Scholarship Program for International Students
  • Merit Scholarship from Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation
  • BeArt-Presets Academic Scholarship Program
  • ACES Scholarships
  • Liveinfrance Scholarship
  • Education Future International Scholarship
  • Study a Masters in Europe Scholarships

Job Opportunities on Completion of Film Studies in France

Film graduates from France have many career avenues in the film industry. These include video editors, motion designers, independent filmmakers, or assistants to directors, cinematographers, or screenwriters. 

FAQS

1. Why is France one of the best Countries to Study Film?

Every year, France contributes to producing 300 French features and 5000 hours of French television shows. This shows that the competence of training in both technical and artistic skills for Film, television, animation, and special effects is recognized worldwide.

2. What types of Filmmaking Courses are Available in France?

Film schools in France allow students to study for a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree in films. They also offer a diploma or a training course in cinema.

3. How long do Film Studies Programs last in France?

The duration of the program depends on the type of film program chosen by the applicant. Usually, a bachelor’s degree in film studies lasts three years, whereas a master’s degree lasts 1 to 2 years.

4. What skills are imparted by film Schools in France?

A filmmaker should have skills in cinematography, screenwriting, equipment expertise, editing, teamwork, and project management. Above all, they should have a knack for excellent and compelling storytelling.

5. Do film schools in France Teach Programs in English?

Yes, film schools in France have mediums of instruction that are both English and French. This means that non-native English speaker must provide evidence of English language proficiency tests while applying for their programs.

Study Abroad
Study in France
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants