Funding Your Ph.D. In France: Scholarships, Grants, And Financial Resources

Study Abroad Team 26/08/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Besides undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses, countless students from India and several other countries move to France to pursue PhD programs. Top-ranked French universities and reputed research institutes offer scholarships or grants to qualified applicants for their doctoral courses every year. 

Overview of Ph.D. in France

France is one of the highly sought-after study abroad destinations. The French Embassy or Consulate in India associates with leading French institutions and companies to award grants or scholarships. Over 500 talented and qualified Indian students receive nearly 12 Cr INR in total on a yearly basis. 

Join top courses abroad, connect with Grace Pathway Abroad

Financial aid enables these students to pursue higher studies in France's private or public universities. Indian aspirants with exceptional academic records get multiple funding options for their higher education in France. The scholarships or grants are available for a range of programs for different study levels, including Bachelor's, Master's, and PhDs. 

The availability of more than hundreds of grant or scholarship opportunities is a relief for those Indian and other foreign students who don't get an education loan for abroad studies. Pursuing a doctoral program at a public higher education institution in France does not require a student to pay tuition fees. 

The Government of France adheres to the belief that financial constraints must not be an obstacle to a meritorious student's education. Therefore, this popular country, home to some of the world's top-ranked universities and research institutes, makes substantial investments yearly in academics and research. 

Government-Funded Ph.D. Scholarships to Study in France

Scholarships that the French Foreign Ministry offers are available for varying streams, including science, commerce, arts, engineering, etc., and different fields such as law, culinary studies, films and mass media, and many more. Indian students and other international students who pursue undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral degree courses receive funding or grants from the France Government. 

PhD scholarships for Indian students funded by the Government are quite a few. However, the competition among PhD aspirants to bag scholarships is huge. It is essential for one to research thoroughly before applying for a particular scholarship because the eligibility requirements for different scholarships vary significantly.

Here are the France Government-funded scholarships for PhD students.

Eiffel Scholarship Program of Excellence

The French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs established the Eiffel Scholarship Program of Excellence. Non-French students until 30 years of age are eligible to receive this scholarship. However, they need to enroll in a Master's or Doctoral program in engineering, economics, management, or political science at a renowned French university. Higher education institutions send applications for this scholarship on behalf of selected applicants. 

The Chateaubriand Fellowship

The Embassy of France in the United States offers the Chateaubriand fellowship to support selected international students' PhD studies. The qualified PhD students receive an allowance of 1230 USD per month. Moreover, they get a round-trip flight ticket to France and health insurance assistance abroad. Thus, a PhD study in France is popular among international doctoral aspirants, including Indian students.

Erasmus + Scholarship 

The European Commission established the Erasmus + scholarship. It is the largest scholarship provider in the EU. The commission grants towards PhD students' living expenses when they participate in an exchange system in France or any other European nation. 

Many Indian students receive this scholarship as it supports education, research activities, and training programs. The sole objective behind awarding this scholarship is to support international PhD aspirants and foster doctoral programs in France. 

CROUS Scholarships

The Ministry of Higher Education & Research of France awards CROUS scholarships for PhD programs. They receive a sufficient amount of money every month that helps them pay for their living, travel, and miscellaneous expenses, aside from the entire tuition fees. 

Aside from the aforementioned ones, Raman Charpak Fellowship is another notable government-funded scholarship supporting PhD studies.

Non-Government Ph.D. Scholarships to Study in France

There's no point in obtaining an education loan for abroad to pursue a PhD program in a French university because of Government as well as non-government grants. Here are the top non-government scholarship programs that support international PhD students.

  • The Fulbright Scholarship: Aside from the ones pursuing a Master's degree course, this scholarship is also available for international students who want to study a doctoral program. 
  • Civil Society Leadership Awards: This fully-funded scholarship program is for postgraduate and doctoral degree courses in a French higher education institute. Besides demonstrating academic excellence, applicants who succeed in proving their dedication to leading inspiring and positive changes in society receive this grant.
  • AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships, Grants, and Financial Support: One of the best non-government financial aids for PhD students in France.

University-Specific Ph.D. Scholarships to Study in France

All top-ranked universities in France offer different scholarships to international students who pursue different undergraduate, postgraduate, or PhD programs. Here are the university-specific scholarships for PhD students.

  • Stephen M. Kellen Scholarship

  • Emily Boutmy Scholarship 2020

  • Ampere Excellent Scholarships for International Studies

  • ENS International Selection Scholarships

  • Foundation Rainbow Bridge MBA Scholarships (Asian and African women)

How to Apply for Ph.D. Scholarships to Study in France

Indeed, receiving a PhD scholarship to study in France is hugely beneficial for Indian students as well as other international applicants. The Consulate of France in India, French higher education institutes, and many research institutions offer different scholarships for doctoral programs. An applicant needs to find a PhD scholarship that ensures maximum financial assistance and other perks. 

  • Take various key factors into consideration when researching funding opportunities, such as the amount a scholarship provides. Check whether it comes with other benefits or support.

  • Aspirants must pay attention to the eligibility criteria to understand whether they meet the requirements. Taking note of the scholarship duration is imperative. 

  • Making a list of beneficial PhD scholarship programs is of the utmost importance for aspirants after completing research. 

  • It is paramount to give priority to crucial factors, including the level of financial assistance the scholarship ensures and the time till which it benefits an awardee or PhD student. 

  • Carry out the application process once a PhD scholarship program is selected.

  • One must carefully complete the application form and submit the same along with all necessary documents before the deadline.

Indian students and those from other nations who wish to get the coveted PhD scholarship to study in France must avoid making errors when filling out the application form. 

Conclusion

PhD scholarships for Indian students and other international students are immensely beneficial. The grants they receive from the France government, universities, and other non-government institutes help PhD students complete their doctoral programs successfully and obtain the coveted degree. 

Study Abroad
Study in France
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants