Linguistics in France: Course, Admission, Cost, Scholarships and Careers

Study Abroad Team 24/01/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Linguistics studies different languages, their forms, and their evolution. Linguistics students study languages' properties, history, diversity, and pathologies.

Highlights of the Linguistics Course in France

Linguistics degrees teach students about grammar, phonetics, and syntax of language. Linguistic researchers have also studied how this impacts communication and culture. Students seeking an education in linguistics need research, analytical, and critical thinking skills.

Why Study Linguistics in France

France is a melting pot for many cultures and diversities. This makes up for the perfect country to study linguistics in such a historically rich nation. Students can understand the foundational questions of modern linguistic research. Universities in France also provide the literature and resources to encourage such research.

Types of Linguistics Courses in France

Linguistics has the following courses in various programs offered by universities in France.

  • Introduction to Linguistics
  • Phonetic and Phonology
  • Syntax
  • Semantics and Pragmatics

France offers the following Master's programs in Linguistic studies:

  • Language and Communication Technologies
  • Computational Linguistics
  • Erasmus Mundus Crossways in Cultural Narratives
  • Lexicography
  • English Studies- Linguistics
  • Theoretical and Experimental Linguistics
  • Phonetics and Phonology

List of Universities Offering Linguistics Programs

Strasbourg University- The faculty of Applied Language Studies and Humanities in Strasbourg offers four programs in Linguistics. They are Linguistics, Language and Speech, Romance Studies, Knowledge in the Anglophone Area, and Cross-university Laboratory of Learning Sciences and Communication. This faculty is renowned for its research in interpretation and translation—foreign languages and cultures.

University of Montpellier- The Department of Languages at the University of Montpellier offers students a course on French as a Foreign Language. It also offers a Master's program in General Education in Vocational High Schools where students are trained in language teaching in schools.

Nantes University- The Language Faculty at Nantes University forms an international community of scholars. These scholars dedicate their academic careers to the study of human language. The programs covered are Linguistics, Cognitive Neuroscience, and Emergent Phonology. The Language Resource Center allows students and staff to learn additional languages. They also have a Department of Literature Studies where they teach students courses like comparative literature, French language, one ancient language and one foreign language, history of French vocabulary, grammar, stylistics, etc. 

Paris Diderot University offers a Master's program in Linguistics- Theoretical and Experimental Linguistics. It is a two-year course where the medium of instruction is English. The program enables students to study the common properties of languages. This is done by checking their formal features, history, diversity, how they are learned, and the pathologies that can affect them.

Côte d'Azur University offers a Master's degree in Foreign and Regional Languages, Literature and Civilizations. They aim to enhance the skills and knowledge of students in foreign languages, literature, and civilization. This leads to students being skilled in text translation and developing analytical and synthesis skills.

Admission Process for Linguistic Programs in France

The admission process for international students depends on the country of residence, origin, and level of studies. After choosing the desired program, applicants must submit their online application form directly on the Campus France portal. 

Sometimes, students may be invited to an interview and language test. Selection committees will check the academic background, cover letter, and letters of recommendation. If the selection committee accepts the application, authorization to register will be sent by the pedagogical secretariat of the chosen program.

Eligibility Criteria

For Master's degrees, applicants must obtain a Bachelor's degree. This degree should be in the language or literature field relevant to the study area. International applicants studying linguistics in French must understand reading, writing, and speaking French.

Documents Required

Applicants must submit academic transcripts, a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, a passport copy, and an unconditional offer letter from the university.

Proficiency Test

Applicants who are non-native English speakers need to submit evidence of English language proficiency. Students can submit scorecards for either IELTS or TOEFL. They need to check the minimum score requirement on the university's website. For Linguistics programs specifically, applicants need to show evidence of proficiency in the French language as well.

Visa Process

The visa application process should be done on the Campus Free portal. After the committee approves the registration process, they can book an appointment with VFS France. They must submit the required documents and give a biometric test for visa approval. The visa is approved within three to five months of the appointment.

Cost of Linguistic Programs in France

  • Tuition Fees- The tuition fees for studying Linguistics in France range from INR 22,000 to INR 8,18,000 per annum. This depends on the type of course the student wishes to take.
  • Cost of Living- Students' living costs range from INR 73,000 to INR 1,65,000 monthly.

Scholarships for Linguistic Programs in France

  • Campus France offers many scholarships to international students:
  • The Foreign Ministry's Scholarships
  • France Excellence Europa Scholarship
  • France Excellence Eiffel Scholarship Program
  • Erasmus+ Mobility Scholarships
  • Excellence Major Scholarships

Job Opportunities on Completion of Linguistic Programs in France

Linguistic graduates can work in many humanitarian and academic sectors. They get opportunities in translation interpreting, research forums, and education. Linguistic graduates can also study higher and pursue a Ph.D. or doctoral in linguistics and language studies. 

FAQS

1. How long is a Course in Linguistics?

Universities in France offer short courses in Linguistics and Master's programs. Short courses are for a few months and can be completed remotely. Master's programs in Language Studies can last for two years.

2. What is the Eligibility for Admission to a Masters in Linguistics?

Students need to complete a Bachelor's degree in Language studies or any field related to Linguistics.

3. What Modules are included in a Linguistics Degree?

Modules in a Linguistics program include empirical patterns found in language data sets. It also involves constructing well-reasoned linguistic analyses by formulating, testing, and refining hypotheses about these patterns. Studying modern-day French and other foreign languages also involves phonetics, phonology, and syntax.

4. What is the Objective of Studying Linguistics in the Academic Field?

Linguistic scholars contribute to the academic community by identifying the evolution of a language and studying its impact on humanity. Their research significantly impacts society's cultural, literary, traditional, genre, and practical areas.

5. What skills are required for Linguistics Students?

The following skills are seen in a good linguist.

  • Communication
  • Language and Grammar
  • Active Listening
  • Creativity
  • Research
  • Critical Thinking
  • Proofreading
  • Intercultural Communication
  • Translation
  • Interpretation
  • Problem-solving
  • Nonverbal Communication
  • Teamwork
  • Statistics
Study Abroad
Study in France
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants