German Universities Applications Procedure for Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 09/01/2024
2 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Basic Requirements for International Admission to German Universities

Most students wish to study abroad once the higher secondary examinations or equivalent are over. Many aspirants prefer pursuing a postgraduate course overseas after bagging an undergraduate degree. Germany is one non-English-speaking nation that attracts thousands of prospective students worldwide every year.

The main reason why many students choose Germany to pursue higher education is the presence of globally-reputed colleges and Universities. In addition, every higher education institute also boasts state-of-the-art infrastructure, modern amenities, and highly qualified and experienced faculty. Students must clearly understand the eligibility criteria for German university admission.

German Universities Applications Procedure for Indian Students

Most German colleges and Universities alumni strongly believe that Germany is undoubtedly a heaven for higher education. However, international students must fulfill the requirements for admission to a German college or University. Here are the eligibility requirements that aspirants need to meet to bag a seat in one of the top German higher education institutes.

  • Entrance Qualification for University

Applicants must possess a school or college-leaving certificate that ensures they are qualified to pursue their desired study program in a German University. Meeting the University entrance qualification is essential to study in Germany.

  • Scholastic Aptitude Exam

It is necessary for aspirants to sit for the Test for Foreign Students so that Universities can easily compare the qualified students' scholastic aptitude. Every international student who aspires to pursue an undergraduate degree program at a renowned college or University in Germany needs to obtain high TestAS scores.

  • Documents

International students must keep various crucial documents organized when applying for a coveted course of study at a prestigious University. Checking the University's official website where a student wants to apply is advisable to learn about the necessary documents for admission.

  • Valid passport or photo ID
  • Correctly filled out the application form
  • Proof of academic qualifications
  • Language proficiency test score
  • Entrance exam score
  • LORs and SOPs
  • Curriculum Vitae

Different Universities and courses require interested applicants to submit varying documents. So, everyone must double-check what is required when they visit the site of the University where they want to apply.

  • German Language Proficiency

International students who dream of securing Germany university admission must prove their German language proficiency. Higher education institutes in Germany require students to have sound knowledge of German because this language is common for most degree programs. One can appear for DSH, TestDaF, and Goethe-Zertifikat C2 tests.

Applying for an international degree course of study requires an aspirant to prove his or her proficiency in the English language. Aside from applying to a German University, an international student needs an IELTS score when applying for a German student visa.

  • Other German University Requirements

Here's what an aspirant must have to secure admission to a coveted German University.

  • Germany student visa
  • Proof of financial stability or resources
  • Residence Permit
  • Registration Certificate
  • Health Insurance

Admission Restrictions for Universities in Germany

The Numerus Clausus system regulates access to German Universities. As per this stringent system, a recognized University can either admit an unrestricted or unlimited number of potential students or give admission to a restricted or limited number of prospective applicants.

Students who meet the admission criteria cannot enroll directly in universities with applicable admission restrictions. Qualified students have to undergo a selection procedure entirely based on admission restrictions.

Fulfilling the basic criteria is sufficient for a study program that is unrestricted. Most restricted undergraduate degree programs require students to apply and wait until the Universities rank each applicant based on their grades, language proficiency, and eligibility.

Essential Tips to Follow to Make the Application Process Easier

Many aspirants feel it is an arduous task to follow the procedure of aGermany universities application. Students must know that the application process is not complicated, even if the steps and requirements seem complex. An interested applicant should file an application online as soon as the University of his or her choice begins the application phase.

Most colleges and Universities in Germany prefer selecting eligible students among those who apply earlier. The reason is German higher education institutions have been following the first-come, first-served rule. So, the possibility of a student with good academic records and skillsets bagging a seat at the coveted University increases more if they apply right away when the application period begins.

Moreover, aspirants must ensure that all necessary documents for admission purposes are well-organized. Missing even one of the required documents can lead to a delayed application and reduce an applicant's selection chances. Even if the application procedure seems intimidating initially, staying attentive and careful can help a student experience a successful and seamless University application procedure.

Application to German Universities via Uni-Assist e.V

Uni-Assist is a body that has been supporting international students who wish to secure a Germany university admission. Their role is to provide valid approval from Universities where aspirants wish to pursue their coveted course of study.

The majority of the higher education institutes are associated with this autonomous body. Uni-Assist is instrumental in enabling international students to apply to their desired Universities in Germany through it. Here's what matters when applying via Uni-Assist e.V:

  • Firstly, an applicant must check whether the institute they wish to pursue a higher degree course accepts applications for admission via Uni-Assist e.V. The University has to be a member of this organization.
  • Secondly, meeting the eligibility requirements is essential. One of which is having a higher education entrance qualification overseas.
  • Thirdly, an international student is applying to pursue a postgraduate degree program, and the primary application processing medium is Uni-Assist e.V.

The steps to apply to a German University through Uni-Assist e.V. are pretty straightforward.

  • An applicant needs to fill out the preliminary review application.
  • File an application simultaneously through the Uni-Assist official website.
  • Submit the application before the deadline.

Uni-Assist e.V takes a maximum of three weeks in order to process the students' applications. Here are the documents an applicant must submit along with the application form.

  • Certified copy of University Entrance Qualification
  • Academic transcripts
  • Translation of the academic certificates (if not in English or German language)

Application to German Universities without Uni-Assist

Some Universities in Germany give admission to international students with potential without Uni-Assist. Checking whether a University where an aspirant wants to apply for admission accepts without Uni-Assist is imperative. Seeking assistance from DAAD to find German Universities that conduct the admission process without Uni-Assist is prudent.

Each aspirant must make sure that they update according to their requirements. Doing so will help everyone who wants to study in Germany Universities without Uni-Assist obtain vital information about admission requirements and procedures. Here are some Universities in Germany that admit international students without Uni-Assist.

  • University of Bayreuth
  • TU Braunschweig
  • TU Munich
  • Hochschule Hof
  • Leuphana University Luneburg
  • Technishe Hochschule Nurnberg

Steps to Apply for Universities in Germany

Germany universities application becomes more manageable for every international student once the steps are clear. Here are the steps to experience a smooth application process.

  • Shortlist Universities in Germany

Finalizing the German Universities a student wants to apply to must be the priority. In addition, applicants have to be certain about the undergraduate or postgraduate degree program they wish to pursue.

  • Check Requirements for Applying

Whatever the requirements of the University where a student prefers to apply for admission must be clear to him or her beforehand. All higher education institutes in Germany thoroughly review every applicant's academic qualifications and German/English language proficiency. So, it is important for a candidate to know about his/her skillsets, abilities, and records before applying to a University.

  • Be Certain about Financial Resources

One of the most crucial steps for a student outside the EU/EEA who aspires to secure Germany university admission is to be cent percent confident about financial resources. Germany Universities require every applicant to submit proof of financial resources. All these higher education institutes want to check whether a student can meet the living expenses in Germany throughout their course.

  • Apply to the Desired German Universities

International students get a couple of choices to submit their applications to their coveted institutes in Germany to pursue higher education. A feasible option for an aspirant is to submit an application to the University directly. The other option is to submit an application via a web application. Not every University accepts applications from interested students through Uni-Assist.

Every student from a different country who wishes to study in Germany must apply for health insurance. No international student will get a student visa without health insurance and eventually be unable to enroll in their desired German Universities.

  • Apply for a German Student Visa

International students have to apply for a German Student Visa right after completing the application to their coveted higher education institution. Submitting every necessary document along with the visa application form is necessary to get approval for a German student visa.

Application Deadlines for the Summer and Winter Semesters

Every single international student who wants to complete the German universities application process for the summer semester must know that the deadline usually is the 15th of January of every year. On the other hand, those who wish to apply for their coveted courses at a Germany University for the winter semester must do the needful before the deadline, which is the 15th of July.

You Might also be Interested in:

University of Mannheim


Study Abroad
Application Process
Study in Germany
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants