Media and Journalism in Germany:

Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships and Careers

Study Abroad Team 30/01/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of Media and Journalism Course in Germany

Media and Journalism is one such profession that offers some highest pay rates and umpteen job prospects in the world. However, the landscape for German students is changing with the rising prominence of a journalism degree in the nation.

The round-the-clock news cycle and international news are prime reasons behind the demand for Media and Journalism courses to study in Germany. A scholar searching for a reliable international destination for journalism education can choose German for higher education. The Land of Ideas offers excellent career opportunities for international students.


Why Study Media and Journalism in Germany?

A flexible academic environment and global job prospects make Germany a top-notch country for a journalism career. The country offers a chance to build a career in Europe by admitting to one of the renowned universities. There are research-lead learning scopes and veteran faculties.

Being one of the strongest European countries, Germany has a robust labor market, excellent living standards, and healthcare and educational scopes. Pursuing a journalism course in Germany provides scholars with a unique experience. The robust educational environment and diverse cultural landscape of this country give scholars a lucrative job opportunity.

A Media and Journalism candidate can earn $20,000 to $60,000 annually with this degree. It might vary based on the type of job. German cities like Frankfurt, Berlin, Stuttgart, and Munich offer good employment opportunities for journalists.

Types of Media and Journalism Courses in Germany

Indian international scholars can earn a bachelor's or master's course to secure an excellent career in this European country. Enlisted below are the media and journalism courses offered in German universities:

Bachelor's Degree

An undergraduate educational program in journalism and media is usually a 3-year course. Undergraduate students need to show their senior secondary examination certificate before applying for a bachelor's degree in a German university. Top Media and Journalism courses offered in the country are:

  • Journalism
  • Translation & Interpreting
  • Practical Filmmaking
  • Communication and Public Relations
  • Film and Media
  • Print Media
  • Social Media and Storytelling and more

Master's Program

A master's degree can be earned after accomplishing the undergraduate degree program. Media and Journalism scholars can earn the degree by deepening their knowledge and enhancing skills in their respective fields. These are the MA courses offered by universities in Germany:

  • Film, Television, and Digital Narratives
  • Digital Business
  • New Media Design
  • Digital Marketing
  • Global Management & Digital Competencies
  • Digital Marketing and Communication
  • International Media Studies and more

Doctoral Degrees

A PhD degree in journalism is the advanced academic certificate that a scholar can earn. It usually is a 2.5-year course of research and dissertation work. A student needs to attend semesters of additional education.
List of Universities Offering Media and Journalism Programs in Germany

Following are the best Germany universities offering Media and Journalism courses:

  • Heidelberg University
  • Arden University Berlin
  • Berlin School of Business of Innovation
  • Freie Universität Berlin
  • University of Bonn

Admission Process to Media and Journalism Programs in Germany

Applying to a Media and Journalism course in Germany requires international students to apply online. One can visit the official portal of the university to check the last date of submission. An applicant who wishes to pursue an undergraduate program needs to a proof of their senior secondary examination certificate from a school. A postgraduate candidate needs to show proof of their graduate degree marksheet.

An aspirant who cannot show their education entrance qualification at a German-speaking institution or a degree in a course conducted in German requires the proof of 'German Language Test for Admission to Higher Education (DSH).'

Eligibility Criteria

Pursuing a journalism course in Germany requires international scholars to submit their documents like university qualifications. Non-EU/EEA students need to have one year of preparatory studies and sit for the examination at their preparatory phase's end. After gaining the deserving marks, students need to gain eligibility to apply for an undergraduate journalism program.

Documents Required

A Media and Journalism scholar needs to show these documents when applying for a Media and Journalism course:

  • The university entrance qualification
  • Academic transcripts
  • Passport photocopies
  • ID proofs
  • CV
  • Academic transcript
  • Letter of recommendation
  • English proficiency test

Proficiency Test

A scholar also needs language skills like DSH, TestDaF, or any other equivalent test like TOEFL or IELTS. Universities that need scholars to prove their English test also accept IELTS or TOEFL scores.

Visa Process

International Indian scholars or non-EU/EAA students need a visa to enter Germany. Since the stay in Germany is more than three months, an applicant also needs a residence permit. Documents required for the visa application are a passport, language skills, and a letter of acceptance from a higher academic institute. Non-EU/EEA scholars need to apply for a visa with proof of financial resources and health insurance.

Cost of Media and Journalism Course in Germany

Tuition Fees

Scholars who pursue an education in a German public university do not have to pay any tuition fee as of 2014. However, Baden-Württemberg public universities charge €3,000 tuition fees annually. Most public universities charge an administrative fee of €250/$305 for each semester. International and private German universities charge €20,000 each year for journalism students.

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Germany includes accommodation costs, transportation, food expenses, and utilities. It entirely depends on the city the student resides. Based on the city, the costs may vary:

  • Accommodation costs: €250 to €390 monthly (on-campus and off-campus)
  • Utility costs: €100 to €200
  • Food: €170 to €200
  • Transport: €20 to €200 per month

Scholarships for Media and Journalism Course in Germany

Enlisted below are the top scholarships for international students who wish to pursue a journalism career in Germany:

  • Higher Education Scholarship for Indian Students
  • Education Future International Scholarship
  • Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Study Grants
  • Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Scholarships 2023
  • ETS TOEFL Scholarships and more

Job Opportunities on Completing Media and Journalism Course in Germany

Employment opportunities for budding journalists and media professionals in Germany are lucrative. One can secure a progressive career with journalism studies in cities like Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich, and Stuttgart.

FAQs

  1. Do You Need Health Insurance to Apply for a Student Visa in Germany?
    A scholar who wishes to enroll in a top-notch German university for journalism studies needs to apply for a student visa with health insurance.
  2. Which Cities in Germany Offer a Lucrative Career Opportunity for Media and Journalism Candidates?
    German cities like Stuttgart, Munich, Frankfurt, and Berlin, offer an excellent employment scope for journalists.
  3. What Documents Do You Need to Pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Journalism at a German Institute?
    You need documents like senior secondary results or equivalent certifications, official transcripts from previous academic institutions, entrance qualifications, and English proficiency.
  4. What is the Monthly Food Expense in Germany?
    Students need to spend €170 to €200 monthly for food in Germany.
  5. How Much Does A Media and Journalism Candidate Earn in Germany?
    A Media and Journalism candidate can earn $20,000 to $60,000 annually in Germany.
Study Abroad
Study in Germany
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 186 Answers - 192
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants