RWTH Aachen University: An overview of Admission process, Fees, scholorships etc

Study Abroad Team 10/11/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The RWTH Aachen University, known to many by its original German name, Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen, is a public research university based in Aachen, Germany. As the largest technical university in Germany, the RWTH Aachen University can accommodate close to 47,000 students at any given time. During any academic year, the university has over 6,000 academic staff members and over 2,000 administrative staff members. 

Established in 1870, the RWTH Aachen University has a history of 152 years. Being a more than a century-old university, it has gone through several stages of evolution over the decades. Since 2007, the university has been funded by the German Council of Science and Humanities and the DFG. 

RWTH Aachen University Highlights

  • Out of all the universities based in Germany, the RWTH Aachen University receives the maximum third-party funds. Because of receiving sufficient funds regularly, the university has provided its students the best possible facilities and amenities.

  • In 2006, the university and the Sultanate of Oman worked out an agreement to set up a private German University of Technology in the city of Muscat. 

  • In 2007, the university was handpicked as one of the nine prominent German Universities of Excellence for RWTH 2020: Meeting Global Challenges and declared a ‘University of Excellence.’ 

  • In 2019, the university was chosen to be given funding by the German federal and state governments for the third Universities of Excellence funding line. 

  • The university is a founding member of reputed organizations and associations like the IDEA League, TU9, and CESAER association of universities of science and technology in Europe. Being a member of the Top Industrial Managers of Europe network and DFG has also helped solidify its credentials.

  • The RWTH Aachen University’s primary campus is based in Aachen’s north-western part. The student’s central service building. The administration put together a new building for the university in 2017, which accommodates around 4,000 students. The university also has external facilities in Essen and Jülich. In the Melaten district and city center, the university continues to be expanded. The students’ central service building is called the SuperC and was inaugurated in the year 2008.  

  • The biggest lecture hall in the university is called the Audimax. The botanical garden in the university is one of its major attractions. 

  • The RWTH Aachen University is a part of the Top Industrial Managers for Europe or TIME network and provides its students with mobility in various aspects and double degrees through its collaboration with other leading technology universities in the world.  

RWTH Aachen University Admissions

Every year, more than 7,000 international students enroll in the various undergraduate, graduate, and Ph.D. programs the RWTH Aachen University offers. The average intake of international students at the RWTH Aachen University is higher than most other universities based in Germany. 

An international student can apply for any courses or programs the RWTH Aachen University offers by visiting the university’s official online application portal. Unlike most other international universities, no application fee is charged by the RWTH Aachen University. The application process is straightforward and can be easily understood by even those who have never applied to an international university in the past.

While applying for any course, the applicant is expected to submit all their official academic transcripts. The university's administration department would want to know every important detail about the applicant's academic history.

Since most international students apply for courses taught in English, the university would expect them to appear for an English proficiency test and show their test scores. If the student appears for a TOEFL iBT test, they have to score a minimum of 95 to be eligible to study at the RWTH Aachen University. If they had appeared for an IELTS test, their score should be at least 6.5.    

Suppose an international student happens to apply for a course or program that will be taught in Germany. In that case, they have to appear for a German proficiency test and convince the administrative authorities that they are proficient enough in German to grasp everything that would be taught in the university.

RWTH Aachen University Programs

The RWTH Aachen University primarily offers seven types of degrees: Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Public Administration, Master of Education and Master of Science. 

To get the aforementioned degrees, an international student can do various courses. There are multiple departments or disciplines, and a plethora of courses or programs are offered under each discipline. Apart from traditional programs, RWTH Aachen University is known for offering a bunch of new-age courses as well. Some of the most prominent new-age courses offered by the RWTH Aachen University are Smart Production Engineering (SPE), Digitalization & Industrial Change, Management and Engineering in Computer Aided Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Geohazards, Management and Engineering in Production Systems and Applied Geosciences. 

RWTH Aachen University Accommodations

Before applying for a course at the RWTH Aachen University, an international student should be mindful of the fact that the university doesn’t offer any accommodation facility. No student dorm is owned or managed by the institution. While the university has three guesthouses, international students cannot turn to them for long-term accommodation. If the student is coming to Aachen accompanied by their parents, they should book rooms in one of the guesthouses at least a few weeks before they plan to arrive. 

Once an international student gets a confirmation letter from the RWTH Aachen University, they should try to arrive in Aachen a few days before the course is about to start and start looking for accommodation facilities. Apart from paying for guest accommodation, they would also get many private apartments to choose from. 

RWTH Aachen University Cost

The RWTH Aachen University offers seats to international students based on merit and does not charge any tuition fee. This is one of the reasons why a large number of bright or meritorious students apply to RWTH Aachen University. However, an international student has to take into account their living expenses.

On average, an international student would require 1000 EUR a month to manage their living expenses. Annually, they can expect to spend anywhere between 10,000 – 11,000 EUR. One can break down this cost into different parts or categories. While monthly accommodation costs would be between 400 – 500 EUR, food and general expenses would be around 400 EUR. Student health insurance, which is very important, would cost between 100 – 110 EUR. They would have to spend 100 EUR once or twice a year on books. 

RWTH Aachen University Scholarships

International students planning to study at the RWTH Aachen University can apply for scholarships sponsored by the university, the German government, and the government of their home country. 

  • DAAD Program STIBET III Matching Funds:
    An international student planning a degree program at the RWTH Aachen University can apply for this scholarship. Those who secure this scholarship are entitled to receive an amount ranging from 250 – 850 EUR every month for 5 months. 
  • RWTH IIT Madras Junior Research Fellowship: International students who plan to study science, engineering, biotechnology, and physics at any level at RWTH Aachen University can apply for this scholarship. Though it does not cover the student's living expenses, it provides them with 1000 EUR to take care of their travel expenses. 

RWTH Aachen University Placements 

The RWTH Aachen University offers excellent placement opportunities to its international students. Through seminars and various career training programs, the university also guides its students on doing well in job interviews. During the placement season, many globally renowned companies like Microsoft, Audi, Cisco, ARM, Devolvo, and Bosch, among others, visit the campus to interview the students.

While international students graduating or getting their post-graduation degree from the RWTH Aachen University get very lucrative salaries, what an individual would be offered would depend on various factors, including the course they studied and how well they performed in it. While an MBA degree holder can expect to get an average annual salary of 160,000 – 170,000 EUR, somebody who has acquired a Master of Arts degree can hope to be offered a job that enables them to earn 55,000 – 58,000 EUR annually. 

Study Abroad
Study in Germany
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants