Medicine and Health Sciences in Ireland: Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 02/02/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Studying Medicine involves how to maintain and restore health. This study leads to finding ways to prevent and treat illnesses and diseases. Prevention and treatment consist of pharmaceuticals, surgery, or psychotherapy. The field of Medicine also includes pre-clinical medicinal studies. This consists of studying physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, pathology, clinical Medicine, and molecular biology. 

To treat illnesses, diagnosis is also an essential aspect of studying Medicine. Medicinal studies also cover the study of cell biology, genetics, pathological processes, health behaviors, and clinical procedural skills. It also includes ethics and law in clinical practice, the biology of disease, and mechanisms of drug action.

Health sciences involve the study of physical, biological, social sciences, and healthcare-related subjects. The field of health sciences is expected to grow by 16% in the next ten years. That is why a degree in health sciences can provide a foundation for students studying in Ireland to work in the field. Working in this field improves healthcare systems and policies. 

Highlights of Medicine and Health Sciences Course in Ireland

Medicine has many fields, and students may choose their specializations after completing their MBBS. The specialties are surgery, anesthesiology, dermatology, radiology, pathology, oncology, physical therapy, urology, pediatrics, neurology, psychiatry, cardiology, and many more.

A health sciences curriculum involves studying healthcare ethics, healthcare policy, health informatics, and financial healthcare services. It also includes the analysis of health IT and innovations, health service quality, health communication, health promotion, and health administration. Some health sciences degrees focus on exercise sciences, while others concentrate on nutrition sciences.

Why Study Medicine and Health Sciences in Ireland ?

An MBBS degree from Ireland is recognized internationally and by the WHO and MCI. Moreover, English is the medium of instruction at the medical colleges of Ireland. This is convenient for international students. Ireland also provides many job opportunities for MBBS and medical graduates who are international students.

Even though the tuition fee may be expensive, Irish universities provide many scholarships for international students. Additionally, the value of a degree in Medicine and health sciences from Ireland outweighs its tuition cost. On top of that, Ireland provides world-class facilities in terms of quality of life, development, safety, and peace.  Irish universities also support international students in terms of studies, career, accommodation, and other challenges they may face.

Types of Medicine and Health Sciences Course in Ireland

Medicine is a vast subject with many clinical departments in which students can specialize. They are diagnostics, therapeutics, primary health care, dermatology, neurology, oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, gynecology, virology, logopedics, physiology, and psychiatry.

The courses included in a health science major are global health, neuroscience, epidemiology, and endocrinology. It also has medical ethics, developmental psychology, health care policy, health care management, health equity, social psychology, anatomy, and physiology. 

List of Universities Offering Medicine and Health Sciences Programs in Ireland

1. University College Dublin- The UCD School of Medicine provides undergraduate and graduate programs in Medicine. The undergraduate degrees are MBBS, radiography, biomedical health and life sciences, and physiology. The leading hospitals associated with UCD's medicine programs are St Vincent's University Hospital and the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital. Graduate medicine programs at UCD are biomedical sciences, child health and welfare, clinical research, dermatology, bioinformatics, neurodiversity, psychotherapy, and radiography.

2. Trinity College Dublin- Students of Medicine at Trinity College Dublin follow a five-year program for a Bachelor's program in Medicine. The School of Medicine at Trinity has played a crucial role in the golden age of Irish Medicine. The undergraduate degrees offered in Medicine are occupational therapy, physiotherapy, radiation therapy, human nutrition, and human health and disease. The postgraduate degrees in Medicine are an MSc in regulatory affairs for medical devices and an MSc in molecular Medicine. Other programs are an MSc in genomic Medicine, Neuroscience, translational oncology, clinical chemistry, biomedical sciences, global health, and many more.

3. University College Cork- The medical electives offered by the School of Medicine are Medicine. The subjects under Medicine are gastroenterology, respiratory therapy, cardiology, rheumatology, endocrinology, emergency medicine, neurology, nephrology, ophthalmology, and radiology. Other electives are obstetrics, gynecology, pediatrics, psychiatry, and surgery.

4. Royal College of Surgeons- This university is Ireland's top international private medical college. Students are trained in exercise medicine, sports, dentistry, and pharmacy. Medical graduates from RCS are highly sought-after doctors, practicing in health facilities across more than 94 countries. The Royal College of Surgeons Ireland offers many undergraduate and postgraduate courses.

5. University of Limerick- The School of Medicine at the University of Limerick provides undergraduate and postgraduate programs. They have bachelor's degrees in Medicine, surgery, biomedical science, and paramedic studies. The doctoral programs are MSc in health professions education and public health. 

Admission Process to Medicine and Health Sciences Courses in Ireland

For international students, some of them may have to complete a six-year program. They can do this by undertaking a foundation year at the beginning of their studies. Applicants must provide a bona-fide certificate granted by the CBSE or CISCE board of studies. They should also have a minimum average score of 80% or above in Grade 12. The minimum score should be 75% in Chemistry, Biology, or Physics or Mathematics.

Eligibility Criteria

Indian applicants wishing to earn a medical degree outside India are advised to consult the National Medical Commission website. This is so that they can understand the most up-to-date requirements for foreign medical graduates intending to practice in India. Applicants must hold an MB, MBBS, or BAO degree or equivalent for postgraduate programs. They must also provide good undergraduate records and references. They should also have practical experience and knowledge of clinical research. 

Documents Required

The following documents are required for admission to a medical college in Ireland:

  • Academic Transcripts
  • Personal Statement
  • At least two references
  • Valid passport
  • IELTS scores
  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • CV/Resume
  • University offer letter
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Bank statements/evidence of funds

Proficiency Test

International students must have a third-level education in English. Another option is that applicants must have at least one year of full-time clinical practice in an Irish or UK hospital. The final English language proficiency option is a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 or more.  Alternatively, applicants can also take the TOEFL or PTE exams. The minimum score in TOEFL should be 90, and in PTE, it should be 63.

Visa Process

Applicants must apply for the D study visa. They are expected to apply for a visa at least three months before the intended travel date to Ireland. Students can apply for a student visa application online using the Irish Government's official website. After paying the visa fees, applicants must submit their biometrics to the Irish authorities. 

Cost of Medicine and Health Sciences Programs in Ireland

Tuition Fees- The average tuition fee for Irish medical colleges ranges from INR 27,00,000 to INR 45,00,000 annually.

Cost of Living- The cost of living in Ireland ranges from INR 72,000 to INR 1,36,000 per month. This includes accommodation, food, transportation, healthcare, and miscellaneous expenses.

Scholarships Medicine and Health Sciences Course in Ireland

The following scholarships are available for students applying to Irish medical colleges.

  • Aim High Medicine Scholarship
  • International Consilio Manuque Medicine
  • Kiran Pathak Pharmacy Scholarship
  • Travel and Roma Communities Access Program Scholarship
  • 1916 Bursary
  • International Pharmacy Scholarship
  • Takeda Ireland Advanced Therapeutic Technologies Scholarship
  • Job Opportunities Medicine and Health Sciences Course in Ireland

Medicine and Health Sciences graduates from Ireland can work in affiliated hospitals in Ireland as physicians, doctors, and anesthetists. They can also work as specialists like gynecologists, obstetricians, etc.

FAQS

1. What Are the Popular Specializations in The Medical Field Students Can Opt For?

The popular specializations are pathology, obstetrics, dentistry, neuroscience, radiology, anatomy, pediatrics, and clinical diagnosis.

2. Which Organizations Accept an MBBS Degree In Ireland?

Organizations like WHO, USMLE, MCI, IMED, and GMC recognize a medical degree from Ireland.   

3. What Is the Duration of An Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Program?

An undergraduate degree in Medicine or health sciences lasts 5 to 6 years.

4. What Is the Duration of a Graduate-Level Medicine Program in Ireland?

Graduate programs in Medicine or health science last for four years.

5. What Is the Salary for A Medical Graduate in Ireland?

The average annual salary for medical graduates ranges from INR 45,00,000 to INR 70,00,000.

Study Abroad
Study in Ireland
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants