Computer Science in New Zealand:

Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/02/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of Computer Science Courses in New Zealand

Computer science courses are one of the most popular courses to study in New Zealand. Several top-notch Universities in the country offer many computer science courses. 

From undergraduate to postgraduate courses, international students will find several programs to advance their career scope a few notches. 

Some institutions also offer diploma courses. However, students should check the official website of every University individually to learn about the courses offered in detail. 

Some of these universities rank within the top 100 in the world. Therefore, getting admitted to the can be pretty competitive.   

Why Study Computer Sciences Courses in New Zealand?

New Zealand is one of the most economically prosperous countries in the world. From its stunning natural surroundings to its friendly people, New Zealand can be an excellent place to start a career abroad. Growth prospects in New Zealand remain boundless. 

Getting a post-study visa and bagging a well-paid job after completing a degree in Computer Science can be effortless in New Zealand. Additionally, the quality of education offered in the country's universities remains of global standard. 

Types of Computer Sciences Courses in New Zealand

Multiple universities in New Zealand offer a B.Sc., MS, and Ph.D. in computer science in different domains. The domain of Computer science encompasses a large number of studies. From data sciences to hardware management, from cyber security to System Networks, this domain offers numerous courses and degrees. 

  • B.Sc in Computer Science
  • B.Sc in Computer Science with Honours
  • B.Sc in Advanced Science 
  • PGD in Applied Technologies - Computing
  • PDG in Computing
  • Master’s Degree Program in Analytics
  • Master’s Degree Program In Computer Assisted Language Learning
  • Master’s in Design

This list is neither complete nor exhaustive. Several other courses in computer science remain available in New Zealand. For more details, check the University websites.

List of Universities Offering Computer Sciences Courses

New Zealand has multiple top-ranked Universities that offer several courses. The following remain only a few of the most popular Universities that thousands of Indian students apply to. 

  • University of Auckland
  • University of Otago
  • University of Canterbury
  • University of Waikato
  • Lincoln University 
  • Victoria University Of Wellington
  • Massey University 
  • In New Zealand, students can find many more top-notch Universities to study Computer Science. The above list holds only a few of the most popular ones.

Admission Process

The admission process is simple and entirely online. 

  • First, the students must choose a course from the multiple available programs. 
  • Students should browse the official website of the University carefully to check the details for every course.
  • Applicants should also look for available scholarship options online.
  • Once applied, the students have to wait until the official list of selected students comes out.
  • After selection, students should get ready for the visa process. 

Eligibility Criteria

Getting admitted to a New Zealand University to pursue a course in Computer Science requires the students to fulfill specific criteria. 

  • The applicant should have high grades in the previous examination to pursue a UG course. GPA is more important in New Zealand. For a PG course, the candidate should have a high GPA score in Graduation. For doctoral courses, the academic requirements differ from one discipline to another. No matter the requirements, an excellent GPA remains the key to admission to these Universities. 
  • Even though language proficiency is only sometimes a primary requisite for technical courses, students should check the university-specific requirements before applying to any course. Most Universities in New Zealand accept students with at least 6 in IELTS. 
  • For some courses, submission of SOPs and LORs might be necessary. 
  • GRE is also not mandatory for pursuing these courses. GPA is generally a more significant parameter for selecting students here. 
  • Documents Required

Below are the documents needed to apply to computer science courses in New Zealand. 

  • Language Proof Certificate: If you have TOEFL or IELTS certificates, you can submit them if your course requires the same.
  • Educational Background Documents: All your academic transcripts and records, along with certificates and mark sheets of 10+2/UG/PG education, are necessary.
  • Other documents: You might need LORs and SOPs. 
  • Proof of work experience, if any
  • Valid Passport and ID proof
  • SOPs and LORs, if needed

Proficiency Test

For most technical courses, IELTS is not necessary in New Zealand. However, to be sure, check the University website without fail. 

Visa Process

To study in New Zealand, international students should apply for a Visa right after receiving the acceptance letter from the University. Here is what you will need. 

  • Fill out the study Visa application form online.
  • Passport’s copy
  • Processing Fee for the Visa
  • A copy of your admission letter
  • Tuition Fees Payment Confirmation
  • Health Insurance
  • Accommodation Proof
  • Bank Statement
  • Source Of Income

Cost of  Computer Sciences Courses in New Zealand

Pursuing a degree in Computer Science in New Zealand can be expensive. But, with a scholarship in hand, continuing your studies in New Zealand becomes easier. 

1. Tuition Fees

The cost of pursuing a course in Computer Sciences will vary on several aspects. The cost can be as follows based on the University you have chosen and the course you have applied to. 

  • Bachelor’s Degree: NZD 35,650 - NZD 60,000
  • Master’s Degree: NZD 22,000 - NZD 32,000

2. Cost of Living

Here is an idea of the cost of living in New Zealand. 

  • Accommodation: NZD 800–NZD 950 every month
  • Transport: NZD 10 to NZD 12
  • Food: NZD 200 to NZD 500 every week
  • Utilities: NZD 200 every week

Therefore, NZD 1200 to NZD 1500 is enough to live a decent life as an international student in New Zealand. 

Scholarships for Computer Sciences Courses in New Zealand

Multiple education institutes, the New Zealand government, and other organizations offer scholarships to meritorious students pursuing computer science courses. Here are a few such scholarships. 

  • New Zealand Excellence Awards 
  • Ah Nua Scholarship
  • Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship
  • AUT International Scholarships - South Asia
  • Vice Chancellor’s International Excellence Scholarship for INDIA

Job Opportunities for Completing Computer Sciences Courses in New Zealand

Students can get jobs as business analysts, programmers, Information architects, network engineers, and database architects after completing their computer science courses in New Zealand. The job market in this country has ample opportunities to absorb fresh graduates from top Universities. International students can build a good career here. 

FAQs 

1. Is New Zealand safe for international students?

New Zealand is one of the world's most politically stable and economically prosperous countries. Living here is entirely safe. 

2. Is the GRE mandatory for all New Zealand Universities?

No. For technical courses, most Universities emphasize GPA. 

3. Is New Zealand too cold?

No. New Zealand’s populated cities are located along its coastal areas. Therefore, the weather remains moderate. 

4. What is the acceptance rate of international students in New Zealand universities?

The acceptance rate may vary from one institution to another. However, it is within the range of 45 and 50% on average.  

5. Is finding accommodation in New Zealand difficult?

Students can get basic accommodation options easily in New Zealand. 

Study Abroad
Study in New Zealand
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants