Engineering in New Zealand -

Admission, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/02/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Engineering is an important field that pushes the boundaries of applied science and solving technical problems. It enables construction, manufacturing, medicine, and numerous other areas to reach new heights. It is also a field that demands constant innovation and plays a significant role in shaping society and its future with your study in New Zealand.

Highlights About Engineering in New Zealand

Engineering comprises designing, testing, and building machines, structures, and processes using mathematics and science. It is a course full of challenges and requires constant problem-solving.

The engineering course also comprises improving and designing infrastructure, machines, vehicles, electronics, energy systems, and materials. There are many branches of engineering, such as chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical, and bioengineering. These branches depend on the area of application.

Engineering is a multidisciplinary subject.

Why Study Engineering in New Zealand?

The QS World Rankings often ranks New Zealand universities among the top universities in the world. These universities have many engineering programs for prospective international students.

New Zealand is a center for research and development in fields like computer engineering. Universities in New Zealand have the best-in-class resources and technology for their students. 

Types of Engineering Courses in New Zealand

The types of courses in Engineering taught in New Zealand are:

  • Civil engineering
  • Chemical and materials engineering
  • Biomedical engineering
  • Computer systems engineering
  • Engineering science
  • Electrical engineering
  • Mechanical engineering
  • Structural engineering
  • Software engineering
  • Bioprocess Engineering
  • Environmental engineering
  • Mechatronics engineering
  • Natural resources engineering
  • Fire Engineering
  • Architectural engineering
  • Aerospace engineering

List of Universities Offering Engineering Programs in New Zealand

1. University of Auckland- The University of Auckland is the highest-ranked University in New Zealand. This University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in engineering. The Bachelor’s degree is a four-year program, and students are taught through lectures, laboratory research, and tutorials. The University has many resources at students’ disposal and guides them on career support, mentors, and workshops. They have an employability rate of 94%.

2. Massey University- Massey University supports students to work in industries like electronics, robotics, software, industrial and farm automation, energy, fuels, and manufacturing. Their programs are project-based and practical learning. They help students network with companies like Beca, Fonterra, Rocket Labs, Spark, Vodafone, Scott Technology, Beta Solutions, and GreenTech.

3. University of Waikato- This University offers 8 engineering programs. The programs are civil, mechanical, chemical, electrical, biological, environmental, mechatronics, and software engineering. 

4. University of Canterbury- This University provides various engineering programs. They also provide state-of-the-art laboratories and teaching spaces, providing our students with world-class study and research spaces. 

5. Auckland University of Technology- The Auckland University of Technology puts forward the following programs in engineering:

  • Bachelor of Engineering (Honors)
  • Bachelor of Engineering Technology
  • Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering
  • Master of Engineering

Admission Process

It is important to note that students must check the entry requirements for admission. Then, they must apply through the university website and fill in all the correct information. They must ensure that the documents they have submitted are all valid.

Eligibility Criteria

International students must ensure they have the qualifications and language requirements to be accepted for admission. In case English is not their first language, they must show evidence of English language skills. 

For Bachelor’s programs, students must have an average score of 75% from All India Senior School Certificate in Year 12. Another option is that students must have an average score of 75% from the ISC Board in Year 12. If not the previous two, students must have a minimum overall average score of 85% from the HSC Board. The minimum English score in either of these boards should be 60%.

For Master’s programs, students must have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.

Documents Required

The documents that are needed for admission to an Engineering school in New Zealand are:

  • Birth certificate
  • Current passport
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Academic transcripts
  • English language proficiency
  • Change of name documents (if applicable)

Proficiency Test

Universities in New Zealand will accept the following exams for English language proficiency:

  • IELTS Academic
  • TOEFL
  • Cambridge English Qualifications
  • NZCEL
  • Person Test of English (Academic)
  • LanguageCert.

Visa Process

Students who are residents outside New Zealand or Australia need a valid visa to study. They will also require a visa if their program is more than three months. International students must have accepted the offer letter from the University and paid the tuition fees.

By applying online at the Immigration website of New Zealand, they can submit the visa application either online or on paper.

Cost of Engineering Programs in New Zealand

1. Tuition Fees- For Bachelor’s programs, the tuition fee is about INR 20,00,000 to INR 23,00,000 per year. For the Master’s program, the tuition fee is around INR 23,00,000 per year.

2. Cost of Living- The cost of living in New Zealand for international students is around INR 77,000 annually.

Scholarships Engineering in New Zealand

New Zealand has the following scholarship programs available for international students:

  • Amelia Earhart Fellowship
  • CRV AmBreed Scholarship
  • Manaaki New Zealand Scholarships
  • Toroa International Undergraduate Fee Scholarships
  • Toroa International Postgraduate Fee Scholarships

Job Opportunities for Completing Engineering in New Zealand

Graduates with an engineering degree can work as designers and developers of products, processes, or systems. They can also work in the fields of management, research, and development or start their own business. Sectors like energy, healthcare, manufacturing, agriculture, and forestry also require skilled engineers.

FAQs

1. What Is the Job Earning Per Year for Engineering Jobs?

The average annual salary for engineers in New Zealand is INR 52,00,000.

2. How Is the Student Life for International Students in New Zealand?

International students experience a student life that is diverse, supportive, and active. Universities support students by providing academic and career advice to students.

3. Why is New Zealand a good destination for engineering programs?

New Zealand requires highly skilled engineers. The country is known to support the spirit of enterprise and innovation. 

4. What Kind of Scholarship Opportunities Are Available for International Students in New Zealand?

There are three types of scholarships presented by universities in New Zealand. There are merit-based scholarships, university-specific scholarships, and government scholarships.

5. Can International Students Work and Live in New Zealand After Graduation?

International students must apply for a post-study work visa after academic studies. It allows graduates to stay in New Zealand for up to three years.

Study Abroad
Study in New Zealand
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants