Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway: Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships and Careers

Study Abroad Team 05/02/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Studying Migration and Intercultural Relations quips students with profound theoretical and methodological skills. These skills are utilized in migration studies. It also allows students who study in Norway to conduct fieldwork primarily in African, Asian, and European contexts.

Highlights About Migration and Intercultural Relations Coures in Norway

Migration and Intercultural Relations involve studying labor markets, transcultural studies, and global citizenship.

Why Study Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway?

Norway is a significant member of the European Union with an empirical emphasis on European countries. It is also the founding member of the United Nations, NATO, and the European Free Trade Association. Along with these, it Is part of the Council of Europe, the Antarctic Treaty, and the Nordic Council. This makes Norway an essential and significant Scandinavian and Nordic country.  For the above reasons, Norway invites students to critically reflect upon the processes and consequences of migration, herein policies and practices of inclusion. The role of educational institutions in Norway offering studies in Migration and Intercultural Relations is essential in this regard.

Types of Migration and Intercultural Relations Courses in Norway

The courses in a program of Migration and Intercultural Relations include:

  • Disciplinary Perspectives and Theoretical Foundations in Migration and Intercultural Relations
  • Historical Dimensions of Migration
  • Theorizing Contemporary Migration & Intercultural Relations
  • Global Migration - Contextualizing African Migration
  • Scandinavia: Historical and Contemporary Migration
  • Norwegian Language and Culture
  • Migration and Integration
  • Migration, Borders, and Citizenship
  • Migration, Gender, Work
  • Controversies over Multiculturalism
  • Citizenship, Multiculturalism, and Pluralism
  • Migration and Small Nations
  • Representation, Ethnicity, and Nation-State
  • Gender, Multiculturalism, Development
  • Methods and Theories in Migration Studies
  • Migration, Labor, Human Rights

List of Universities Offering Migration and Intercultural Relations Programs in Norway

1. EMMIR- This two-year program takes place first in Oldenburg, Germany, then in Stavanger, Norway (for the second semester). Its complete form is The European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations. 

2. NLA University College- Based in Norway, this university offers a two-year Master's program in Intercultural Studies. The program deals with South-North relations abroad and in Norway and the effects of globalization on local communities. Students are aware of social justice, cultural recognition, and agency theories. It also provides the students with theoretical and methodological tools to analyze and work within complex intercultural fields and issues.

3. University of Oslo- They offer a Sociology Master's degree in Globalization, Migration, and Religion. The program discusses multiculturalism, transnationalism, religion, and neoliberal political trends. It also covers international migration, like migration flows (including labor migration), irregularity, citizenship, and ethnic identity. Other Master's programs include Global-MINDS, Modern International and Transnational History, and Human Rights Theory and Practice.

4. University of Stavanger- This university offers an optional Migration and Intercultural Relations module. Students learn an overview of major geographical trends in global migration. They also know different categories and motives of migration and relevant concepts related to migration, diversity, and integration. Finally, they gain an insight into practices of integration in educational institutions.

5. Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences – The Faculty of Education and International Studies offers a Master's in Multicultural and International Education. They also have learning centers for Educational Research and Development, Welfare and Labor Research, and Multicultural Education.

Admission Process to Study Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway

Since all degrees offered for this program are Master's degrees, a Bachelor's degree is required to study a program in Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway. 

Eligibility Criteria

A 3- or 4-year BA degree with a relevant specialization and proof of English language proficiency is required.

Documents Required

The following documents are required for admission to a school in Norway for Migration and Intercultural Relations:

  • Attested transcripts
  • English Proficiency exam scores
  • At least two Reference Letters
  • Personal Statement
  • Medical Insurance
  • Bank Statement
  • Passport
  • Unconditional Offer Letter

Proficiency Test

Applicants should take the IELTS test, and they should have a minimum of 6.5 with a writing section minimum score of 6.0

Visa Process

International students are required to apply for a Norway student visa and a residence permit. The exceptions to this are students who live in Finland, Sweden, Iceland, and Denmark. Students of EU/EEA are also not liable for student visas. They must also contact the Norwegian Embassy/Consulate.

Cost of Migration and Intercultural Relations Programs in Norway

1. Tuition Fees- The average tuition fee for the Migration and Intercultural Relations program for international students is INR 4,45,000 per semester.

2. Cost of Living- Housing costs INR 28,000 to INR 39,000 monthly. Food costs INR 32,000 to INR 39,000 per month, and travel expenses INR 3,900 monthly.

Scholarships to Study Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway

Most Norwegian universities do not offer international students scholarships for the Migration and Intercultural Relations program. However, to study EMMIR, students can apply for the Erasmus+ Scholarship program.

Job Opportunities on Completing Migration and Intercultural Relations in Norway

Migration and Intercultural Relations program graduates can work in the research and education sectors. They can also have positions within Norwegian and international institutions. This includes private, public, and civil organizations working with intercultural challenges and diversity management. 

FAQS

1. What is the application deadline for applying to study in the Migration and Intercultural Relations program?

Universities have different deadlines, and applicants must check the university website for the specific deadline. However, most universities usually have deadlines around January or early February.

2. What degree is required to pursue a Migration and Intercultural Relations program?

A Bachelor's degree in a field with a final grade of at least C+ (or equivalent) is required. They should also have knowledge of or professional experience in migration studies and proficiency in two languages, including English.

3. Are international students eligible for free tuition fees in Norway?

Not anymore. There were free tuition fees in Norwegian universities until 2022. But from 2023, even international students will have to pay tuition fees at public universities in Norway.

4. My previous degree is unrelated to Migration and Intercultural Relations. Can I still apply?

Yes, if the degree is related to social sciences, History, Cultural studies, educational sciences, Law, Economics, Development Studies, or Journalism.

5. What is the duration of a Migration and Intercultural Relations program?

Most Migration and Intercultural Relations programs are postgraduate programs, which take two years to complete. 

Study Abroad
Study in Norway
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants