Medicine in Sweden - Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 07/02/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Sweden is an educational core for students who want to study Medicine and MBBS. Medical studies in Sweden have different pathways depending on the specialization. It enables students to study pharmacy, biomedicine, diagnosis, and medical treatments.  Studying in Sweden will be a great option for Indian Students.

Why Study Medicine in Sweden?

Sweden houses some of the world's best medical universities. The medical universities in Sweden offer affordable tuition fees compared to other European and Western universities. Medical students have access to state-of-the-art medical facilities. They are encouraged to have a patient-centric approach.

Types of Medicine Courses in Sweden

Sweden offers many courses in medical fields. Most of them are listed below.

  • Pharmacy, General Medicine, and Medical Science

  • MBBS, MD, and Surgery

  • Emergency Clinical Care

  • Dental Sciences

  • Cardiovascular Medicine

  • Immunology, Genetics and Pathology

  • Oncology

  • Psychotherapy

  • Epidemiology

  • Paramedical and Nursing

  • Endocrinology

  • Orthopedics

List of Universities Offering Medical Studies in Sweden

1. Karolinska Institute is one of Europe's top medical universities. Through intensive research and application, Karolinska Institute supports an environment of academic medical research. It is also well known throughout the world for the impact it has made in its research for cancer.

2. Uppsala University- Uppsala University offers Master's degrees in Biomedicine, Forensic Science, and Biopharmaceuticals, among others. Its world ranking among medical colleges is 140. The university emphasizes quantitative and qualitative research to find cures for diseases and illnesses. They are also provided with fresh perspectives to find such drugs. Students are given in-depth knowledge about the latest forefronts of medical science and developments.

3. University of Gothenburg- The Institute of Medicine of the University of Gothenburg is a hub of health and medical research education in Sweden. They provide bachelor's and master's programs in diabetic studies, global health, and public health. Their doctoral studies in allergology, osteoporosis, and diabetology help students to research in preclinical and clinical projects.

4. Stockholm University- This university has a world ranking of 185 and a department that specializes in molecular life sciences. Their Master's program covers cell biology, genetics, and immunology. Students who graduate from this degree work within academic spheres as well as outside. They have opportunities to work in fields like biomedical research and pharmaceuticals.

5. Lund University- Lund University offers many courses in the medical field, like biomedicine, medical science, and cancer biology. They also teach courses like technology in the pharmaceutical areas. The students and staff make a multidisciplinary department. It focuses on researching diabetes, neuroscience, stem cells, and cancer. It is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world to study medicine. 

Admission Process

To apply for medical programs in Sweden, Sweden has a common application portal for all its universities. Once students have registered through this portal, they can apply for many programs through the university website. However, they must fill out the application form before the deadline; an application fee is also mandatory if they stay outside the European Union. Students must remember to keep checking their application status to see whether they have been accepted. Then, the only step remaining apart from the visa process is to apply for a residential permit.

Eligibility Criteria

Students should complete their secondary school studies with a minimum of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. They must also give English language proficiency test scores like IELTS and TOEFL. Indian students, mainly, must complete their NEET exam before applying. Potential students should be at the minimum age of 17, not over 25. 

Applicants need to be fluent in Swedish for courses in which the medium of instruction is Swedish. For example, the medical program at Lund University is taught in Swedish. International students need to contact the Swedish embassy about Swedish language tests.

Documents Required

The documents that are required to receive a student visa in Sweden are:

  • Acceptance letter

  • Completed application form

  • Bank statement

  • Passport

  • Academic transcripts

  • Identity photos

  • Health insurance

Proficiency Test

Students not living in Sweden must take an English language proficiency test, the IELTS or TOEFL. The cutoff score for IELTS should be 6.5 (minimum 5.5 in each band), and for TOEFL, it should be 90 (20 in the written test).

Visa Process

There are several documents required for obtaining a Swedish student visa. They are a passport, health insurance, unconditional acceptance letter, scholarship letter (if applicable), and bank statements.

Cost of Studying Medicine in Sweden

  • Tuition Fees- The top Swedish universities offering degrees in Medicine in Sweden start from 96,000 SEK.
  • Cost of Living- Students' living costs range from 8,000 SEK to 16,000 SEK monthly.

Scholarships to Study Medicine in Sweden

Different universities offer different scholarships. Depending on merit, qualification, and need, they may be partially funded or fully funded. For example, Uppsala University offers scholarships for prospective students. For international students, they offer the Uppsala University Global Scholarship, Ander Wall's Scholarship, and the King Carl Gustaf Scholarship.

Job Opportunities on Completing Medicine in Sweden

Students with medical degrees can get the opportunity to work in different medical sectors. They can work in hospitals or run private clinics in nursing homes, doctors' offices, and healthcare facilities. 

FAQS

1. What Is The Minimum Age To Study Medicine In Sweden?

A potential student should be at least 17 years of age to study in a medical college in Sweden.

2. Why Is Sweden One of the Best Destinations to Study Medicine?

The universities in Sweden for medicine rank among the top 100 in the world. They are Karolinska Institute, Uppsala University, and Lund University. Additionally, living in Sweden is affordable compared to other countries.

3. What Are The Entry Requirements For Medical Programs In Sweden?

Students must complete secondary education and have proficiency in Swedish and English. Secondary education must have the subjects Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics.

4. What Are The Requirements For Swedish Language Proficiency?

Certain universities require Swedish language proficiency because the medium of instruction is Swedish. In such cases, applicants are asked to take the TISUS language test.

5. Do EU And EEA Students Need To Pay Tuition Fees?

No, tuition fees are exempted for EU and EEA students, but non-EU/EEA students need to pay total tuition fees.

Study Abroad
Study in Sweden
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants