Comprehensive Guide To housing Options for Study Abroad Students

Study Abroad Team 27/12/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Main Categories of Accommodation Abroad for International Students

 At least seven out of ten students wish to study abroad after completing their higher secondary examinations or equivalent. A college or University degree overseas can help one bag a high-paying job at a reputed company. Many students think before boarding the flight that their stay in a foreign country throughout the course they pursue will be hassle-free. 

Many Indian and other international students seek comprehensive assistance from a trusted study-abroad consultant.  Doing so helps them eliminate the confusion regarding the most suitable housing option overseas. Furthermore, one can usually finalize their on-campus or off-campus accommodation through them.

On-Campus Housing Option Overseas

Almost every higher education institute in a foreign nation offers on-campus accommodation for national and international students. There is no denying that students can reap a host of advantages if they opt for residing within the college or University campus or close to it. Unlike off-campus housing, students who live on-campus do not have to waste substantial money regularly for commuting purposes. Moreover, these students get more time to spend quality time after class with each other on campus. One thing to remember is that it is imperative to apply for on-campus housing at the earliest.

 UK student accommodation options that colleges and Universities offer for admitted students come with various amenities and utilities. International students find it easy to adapt to a new setting when they do not have to take the hassle of arranging necessary facilities at on-campus accommodations. Students who live on-campus can attend classes on time and easily access the library, cafes, and other hangout zones.

They do not encounter any problem attending cultural programs or activities later in the day because of their on-campus housing facility. One who aspires to study in the UK, the USA, or Canada can save considerable money if they choose on-campus accommodation. However, students on campus have no privacy as they must share dorms with others and follow stringent rules and regulations.

 Off-Campus Housing Option Overseas

 Students who do not apply for on-campus accommodation have no option other than to reside off-campus. Also, many intentionally decide beforehand to live off-campus to enjoy the utmost independence, which is hardly there in on-campus housing. Indeed, one has to deal with the hassle of arranging things on their own most of the time. Safety and security are major concerns for many who choose off-campus accommodation.

However, it depends greatly on the area where one selects their housing. Aside from the ones who prefer to live alone to enjoy maximum privacy, many international students opt for sharing an apartment with a classmate or peer. Enjoying a different study abroad experience altogether can happen in the best manner possible when a student opts for off-campus housing. Here are some prominent types of off-campus accommodation overseas.

 Homestay or Living with Local Families

 There is nothing like a home away from home in a foreign country for a student from India and other nations. Opting to stay at a homestay overseas may not make one feel the absence of their family members much.A homestay means a student can stay at a local's house, enjoy various facilities and eat home-cooked meals. Moreover, it's the ideal place to learn about a new language, culture, and traditions. The homestay accommodation expenses usually include electricity bills and food.

Generally, Indian students studying abroad  find it hard to come across homestays in close proximity to their colleges or Universities. So, investing substantial time and money in daily commutes is a necessity. However, this is a great way to explore a new place and create a robust connection with local people. Ultimately, students' overall experience pursuing higher studies abroad will be more worthwhile.

 Private Apartment Accommodation

International students with no budget limitations mostly prefer renting an entire private apartment. The sole reason is they can enjoy more privacy, liberty, and independence than in homestays or dorms while they pursue higher studies overseas. Well-furnished, spacious, and luxurious private apartments are located more or less within a city, facilitating students reach their institutes quickly. Not many can afford private apartments because of the significantly high cost.

This kind of off-campus study abroad accommodation can be exciting, but it does prevent one from enjoying cultural experiences. Also, unlike homestays, students who reside in private apartments abroad do not get the chance to make meaningful relationships with locals.

 Shared Apartment

 According to the students who live in a shared apartment in a foreign country, as long as they pursue their higher studies, it is the most affordable off-campus housing type. Sharing an apartment with a like-minded classmate or peer can be fun.

A student always has someone beside them when they share an apartment overseas. It is also a great opportunity to befriend a stranger in a new city and be each other's support. Unlike homestays or dorms, inhabitants of shared apartments in a foreign country do not usually have to comply with rigorous guidelines.

 The monthly expenses in the USA for Indian students  will be slightly lesser when they opt for private shared apartments. However, what matters the most is getting a roommate with whom the possibilities of communication problems or personality differences are the least. Often, a student studying abroad has to leave a shared apartment after some days because of various issues with the roommate.

 Private Rental Halls

 Many Indian students and those from other countries stay overseas at private rental halls. These off-campus housing options are similar to on-campus college or University dormitories. However, these easy-to-rent halls offer international students with more facilities. One can choose from private rooms, shared rooms, private studios, etc. The total accommodation cost includes utility bills.

 Private rental halls overseas are more contemporary and furnished than all on-campus and off-campus housing types. Students can enjoy unique and amazing amenities such as access to the gym, gaming zone, cafeteria, high-speed internet, and many more. In this type of off-campus study abroad accommodation, students can participate in events that the rental hall authority organizes throughout the year to foster connections.  

Study Abroad
Study in UK
#studyabroad
#travel/stay
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants