How To Get UK Scholarships For Indian Students in 2023?

Study Abroad Team 02/06/2023
7 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Why is the UK the Top Study Abroad Destination?


The United Kingdom (UK) has some of the oldest universities and colleges. These universities were established in the 12th and 13th centuries and are known for their quality of education. Coming from such a legacy, pursuing higher education in the UK is a shared ambition among Indian students.

The UK also offers numerous scholarships and funding options for international students. In other words, it is an ideal destination for those seeking financial support. Moreover, aspirants can apply for an education loan for abroad studies to fund their college or university education. Here are some reasons why the UK has always been the preferred study-abroad destination for aspirants.


Academic Excellence 

The UK universities have the best academic standards in the world. And when studying in the UK, aspirants will discover the usefulness of practical-based knowledge. This will allow one to acquire analytical skills, creative ability, and critical thinking skills.

The Duration of Courses is Shorter 

Most higher education courses in the UK are shorter and more intensive compared to other countries. Aspirants can graduate faster without compromising on the quality of education. Students can complete an undergraduate program in three years and a postgraduate program in just one year.

Besides an education loan for abroad studies, students can also opt for scholarships to study in the UK. Here are some aspects to learn about UK scholarships.  

Things to Know about the Intakes for UK Scholarships 


Studying in the UK is affordable if aspirants plan well in advance. Students can apply for scholarships offered by UK universities and colleges by knowing about the intake period. The major colleges and universities in the UK offer two significant intakes. However, few universities also provide summer intakes for scholarships to international students. Here are the three inputs available in the UK.

  • The autumn-to-fall intake lasts from September to December
  • The summer intake lasts from April to June
  • The spring intake lasts from January to April

The primary intake in the UK is in September. A majority of UK universities offer courses in this intake. On the other hand, the January intake is the secondary intake in the UK. Students who have missed the opportunity for admission in the September intake can opt for the January intake. Aspirants should also ensure they apply for a government education loan to study abroad.

What are the Types of Scholarships in the UK? 
Deciding to study in the UK is an investment in a candidate's future. A prestigious degree from the best UK universities can be a transformative experience. And this degree can take an aspirant's employability to the next level. Usually, many funding options are available for Indian students aspiring to study in the UK.

For instance, aspirants can apply for a government education loan to study abroad. Besides education loans, students can also choose scholarships to pursue their higher education degree in Britain. But before applying for a scholarship, candidates should know the scholarship types mentioned below.

  • University-based scholarships
  • Government-based scholarships
  • Institutional-based scholarships

Scholarships in the UK are awarded based on a student's talent, merit, and requirements. If an aspirant wants to secure scholarships based on merit, they need to score consistently high grades.

On the other hand, if a student is talented in a particular field and wants to study in the UK, they can apply for talent-based scholarships. If candidates are willing to study in the UK but are not financially stable, they can apply for requirements-based scholarships. These candidates need to submit financial proof for approval.  

How to Get Scholarships in the UK as an Indian Student?

The UK scholarships for international students are the best cost-cutting measures. Most educational institutes and universities offer scholarships that can help aspiring students bring their education costs down.

To apply for a scholarship in the UK, one should thoroughly research the institution and degree program. The scholarships may differ based on specific variables. Moreover, there are grants financed by the government that students may apply for. Here is the list of general eligibility criteria for UK scholarships for Indian students.  

  • The student should have Indian citizenship proof
  • The aspirant should complete their tertiary education in English medium
  • They should have an excellent academic background

How To Get UK Scholarships For Indian Students in 2023?
Top Scholarships in the UK for Indian Students along with their Respective Eligibility Criteria 


Here are the top UK scholarships for international students one should know.


Felix Scholarship


The Felix Scholarship was established to offer gifted students from India the opportunity to advance their postgraduate education in a UK university. With this scholarship, students can seek admission to the following three universities.

  • SOAS
  • The University of Reading
  • The University of Oxford
  • The Felix Scholarship fully funds Indian students to study in the UK based on merit and need. Here are the eligibility criteria of this scholarship applicants must be aware of.
  • The age of the applicant shouldn't exceed 30
  • The aspirant should have a Bachelor's degree from a recognized institution
  • One must apply for a full-time postgraduate course in any affiliated institution
  • The student should submit proof of their financial need

Rhodes Scholarship at the University of Oxford

  
The Rhodes Scholarship is a fully-funded postgraduate award. It allows brilliant young students worldwide to study at the University of Oxford. Besides knowing about Ph.D. scholarships for Indian students, one should also know about this scholarship.

To qualify for this scholarship, aspirants must have excellent academic grades. Moreover, they must demonstrate talent in extracurricular activities. One of the key highlights of this scholarship is that it covers the entire tuition fees of students. It also covers international airfare. The eligibility for the Rhodes Scholarship is as follows:

  • The applicant should be within 19 to 25 years of age
  • The aspirant should graduate with first-class
  • The student must apply for a full-time postgraduation course at the University of Oxford

Chevening Scholarship 

Chevening is the UK government's international scholarships program. The Foreign, Commonwealth, and Development Office funds this scholarship. With the Chevening Scholarship, aspirants can study in the UK for one year on a fully funded postgraduate course.

By qualifying for this scholarship, candidates will receive fully-funded tuition fees and access to the best quality education in the world. They can also reap the benefit of exclusive networking opportunities. The eligibility criteria for the Chevening Scholarship are as follows:

  • The applicant should have a Bachelor's degree with a minimum of two years of work experience
  • The aspirant must possess an illustrious academic background
  • The student should apply for a minimum of three courses  

Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarship 
The Dr. Manmohan Singh Scholarship is awarded yearly to bright Indian students with an excellent academic base. To qualify for this scholarship, aspirants should be willing to pursue doctoral degree courses at St. Johns College.

St. Johns College is one of the largest colleges in the UK. It is fully funded and covers the costs of the student's airfare, tuition fees, and UK visa. The eligibility criteria for this scholarship are listed below.

  • The student should have a postgraduate degree from any of the affiliated institutions
  • The applicant should be an Indian citizen under 35 years
  • The candidate should display the qualities, vision, and skills of a leader
  • The student applying for this scholarship should be fluent in English

Scholarships for Master's in the UK 

The Ph.D. scholarships for Indian students are usually all-inclusive and cover most costs. Here are the scholarships for Master's in the UK aspirants must know.   

  • The postgraduate scholarship offered by Leeds and Beckett University
  • The PG Scholarship provided by the University of Greenwich
  • The Vice-Chancellor Scholarship from Cardiff University   
  • The UEA India Award provided by the University of East Anglia

Scholarships for International Students Aspiring to Pursue Undergraduate Courses in the UK 

 
Studying in the UK can be financially burdensome for aspirants. Here are some of UK universities' most prominent undergraduate scholarships for Indian students.

  • The Undergraduate Scholarship provided by the Leeds and Beckett University
  • The Global Scholarship for all UG Courses offered by the Lancaster University
  • UG Scholarship from the University of Leicester
  • The Actuarial Science Scholarship from the University of East Anglia    
Study Abroad
Study in UK
Scholarships & Loans
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 162 Answers - 168
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants