Law Science in UK:

Admission, Courses, Cost, Scholarships, and Career Opportunities

Study Abroad Team 08/02/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Law Science Course in UK

Law science or legal science is one of the significant elements in civil law tradition. A legal science degree enables an individual to pursue a career in law and the many departments encompassing it. Very few fields offer the kind of options or opportunities that law does to study in UK. A course in law science prepares students for a well-structured career in law.

Why Study Law Science in the UK?

While most countries offer courses in legal science, there are several benefits of doing this course in the UK. Across the world, the English court system is held in high reverence. While conducting business internationally, people tend to follow or adhere to English law. When important commercial arrangements occur between different countries, the English law system is preferred over other systems. 

When a student pursues a course in legal science in the UK and studies the English law system, they can be sure about getting good professional opportunities worldwide. One-third of the total population in the world, which includes people based in countries like India, Pakistan, and the United States, have legal systems designed around the English common law.

Types of Courses in Law Science in the UK

In the UK, career opportunities in law science are growing daily. No matter which stage of education a student is in, they can pursue a course in legal science. Apart from pursuing a bachelor’s course, a student can pursue a master’s or doctoral course. 

Bachelor of Law (LLB)

A Bachelor of Law or LLB program is opted for by those students who wish to undergo a comprehensive legal education and have plans to pursue a career as a barrister or solicitor. Apart from providing a solid base in legal principles, these programs help an individual develop analytical skills and critical thinking. While pursuing a course in Bachelor of Law, a student can specialize in different law departments. 

Master of Laws (LLM)

A Master of Law or LLM is a postgraduate program that imparts law graduates with advanced training methods and specialized knowledge. While pursuing an LLM program, a student can focus on particular things in the legal space. Apart from polishing their expertise, students can explore career prospects in legal practice, academia, and international law.

Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL)

A Graduate Diploma in Law is something a lot of international students opt for. It has been designed as a 1-year long law conversion course that has to be pursued full-time. This course provides students with the kind of knowledge they need to pursue a career as a lawyer. 

Law Practice Course (LPC)

A Law Practice Course (LPC) can be best described as the final stage of vocational training a student needs to undergo to start working as a qualified solicitor. Since this course focuses on providing students with good employment opportunities in law, it focuses on inculcating those skills that are highly in demand.

Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC)

The Bar Professional Training Course can be defined as a postgraduate program that allows law graduates to pursue a career as barristers in England and Wales. Before opting for a BPTC course, a student is required to get a bachelor’s degree in law from a recognized university in the UK. 

List of Universities Offering Law Science Courses in the UK

The following are the universities in the UK offering courses in law science:

  • University of Oxford
  • The London School of Economics & Political Science (LSE)
  • University of Cambridge
  • University College London (UCL)
  • The University of Edinburgh
  • King’s College London
  • Queen Mary University of London
  • Durham University
  • The University of Manchester
  • University of Glasgow

Admission Process to Law Science in the UK

To study at one of the colleges or universities offering courses in law science in the UK, an international student has to visit their official website, download an application form, fill it out, and send it to the university via mail. As far as documentation is concerned, different universities have different requirements. Apart from submitting their senior secondary mark sheet, students might also be required to share their language scores.

Eligibility Criteria for Law Science in the UK

To study law in the UK, the applicant must have scored at least 65% in their State Board and National Board examinations. The International Baccalaureate requires students to score at least 65 points. 

Proficiency Test for Law Science in the UK

Since most law colleges expect the applicant to be proficient in English, they are also expected to submit their language proficiency test score. If a student has appeared for an IELTS test, they must score at least 6.5. In each of the test components, they have to score at least 6.0. 

Documents Required for Law Science in the UK

The documents that students are required to submit are their academic transcripts, CV, proof of experience, and statement of purpose.

Visa Process to Law Science in the UK

While applying for a student visa to study law science in the UK, an international student must submit a letter of acceptance from the university. This is important as the officials first want to verify whether a university has accepted the student.

They must submit a document stating they have enough funds to support their education in the UK. Along with a copy of their valid passport, they must also submit a recent passport-sized photograph. They are also required to get a health checkup and submit a copy to the authorities. The student would also be asked to show their original mark sheets or transcripts.

The student has to submit their visa application form online. While booking an appointment, going through the online appointment calendar is imperative. After submitting the form, the applicant shall receive an email with an application number. 

Once the student gets the email, they must pay the requisite fees and take the receipt. On the scheduled date, the applicant has to appear for the visa interview and submit the requisite documents, application form, photographs, and biometrics. 

Cost of Studying Law Science in the UK

Tuition Fees

To pursue an undergraduate law program in the UK, an international student must pay between £12,000 and £20,000 every academic year. For a postgraduate level program, an international student must spend between £14,000 and around £30,000 per academic year. 

Cost of Living

If an international student lives in the UK while pursuing a law-based course, their living cost (annually) is around £12,000. 

Scholarships to Law Science in the UK

Enlisted below are the Law Science scholarships for international students in the UK:

  • The Freshfields Scholarship
  • Bird & Bird Bursary Scholarship
  • Law Society’s Diversity Access Scheme 
  • John Bloom Scholarship
  • The Lawscott Foundation Awards Grants
  • CMS Law Fellowships for 2023

Career/Job Opportunities for Law Science in the UK

After graduation or post-graduation, a law graduate can choose from various fields and professions like an advocate, law journalist, solicitor, barrister, entrepreneur, detective, law counselor, politician, and law academic. 

FAQs

1. Is it a good idea to pursue a Master of Laws (LLM) in the UK?

If an international student has studied law or done a bachelor’s program and wants to expand their knowledge, a Master of Laws (LLM) program in the UK would be an excellent idea. The knowledge they gain would help them in specializing in a particular aspect of law and excel in it.

2. Which law university in the UK is the best for international students?

Most universities in the UK, which offer law-based courses, welcome international students. Some universities that are known to accept many international students are the University of Manchester, Coventry University, King’s College London, the University of Glasgow, the University of Cambridge, the University of Liverpool, and the University of Oxford.

Study Abroad
Study in UK
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants