Pearson Test Of English- An Overview On The Exam Structure, Fee And Other Important Features

Study Abroad Team 27/12/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Details On The Qualified Candidates For PTE

PTE, also known as the Pearson Test of English, is a commonly opted choice for students who aspire to continue their higher studies outside India. While IELTS and TOEFL examinations remain the two most popular language proficiency tests accepted in many countries and Universities, PTE is another alternative with extensive acceptance. 

Several Universities in Germany, the USA, Canada, and other prominent countries accept foreign students with PTE scores. If a student plans to study abroad after completing his/her 12th or graduation-level education, he/she should know all about this examination. 

Pearson Test Of English- An Overview On The Exam Structure, Fee And Other Important Features

The process of gathering information for PTE starts with the eligibility criteria. The eligibility criteria for PTE consist of two sections. The first lays down the rules regarding the age of the candidate appearing for the examination. The second one talks about the academic qualifications needed to appear for this English language proficiency test. 

(i) The Age Criteria To Appear for PTE Exam 2023

To begin with, a student willing to take the PTE test needs to be at least 16 years old at the time of writing the exam. However, students belonging to the age group of 16 to 18 will require the consent of their parents. If they live with their guardians (other than their parents), the consent form must have the guardians' signature. 

Therefore, most students willing to take the PTE exam after completing their 12th-grade examination will find this step necessary. No matter the age, every detail about the application and consent forms remains available on the official website of PTE. 

(ii) Academic Criteria To Appear For PTE Exam, 2023

The Pearson PLC Group conducts the examination worldwide. There is no mention of a specific academic qualification mentioned in the criteria section. However, it goes without saying that if students are interested in joining a UK or Canadian university, they need their 12th-grade results. 

Students without 12th-grade results and certificates will not even attempt to apply to foreign universities. Therefore, the examination conducting body has kept the rules simple given the inevitability of the academic qualification every PTE aspirant is bound to have. 

Top Countries That Accept PTE As An Important Criteria For Admissions

Several countries across the world consider and accept PTE scores in bands. The following list lists the countries that accept PTE for admitting international students. While each country on this long list accepts PTE scores, certain countries accept this test more. 

The USA, Canada, Germany, The UK, Australia, New Zealand, and France remain the few countries with an extensive number of Universities accepting PTE scores. 

Therefore, if students do not have a country bias (which is not a recommended quality if they opt to study abroad), they should prepare for IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE to enhance their chances of getting selected for a reputed University. 

  • Germany
  • Ireland
  • Norway
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Austria
  • USA
  • Canada
  • China
  • South Korea
  • South Africa
  • Belgium
  • Malaysia
  • Nigeria
  • Bulgaria
  • Philippines
  • Hong Kong
  • Singapore
  • Indonesia
  • Finland
  • Taiwan
  • Japan
  • Vietnam
  • Spain
  • Egypt
  • Sri Lanka
  • Thailand
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Turkey
  • Greece
  • Jordan
  • UAE
  • Sweden
  • Oman
  • Bangladesh
  • Nepal
  • Israel
  • Iraq

Students can use the PTE scores to get admitted to a foreign University and apply as a resident. Therefore, clearing PTE can help them in more ways than one if they can accommodate themselves within a certain score band. 

Top Universities Accepting PTE And The Minimum Cut-Off Required

Top Universities in various countries ask for English language proficiency certificates to offer foreign students admission. This is why thousands of aspirants prepare for IELTS, TOEFL, and PTE besides enrolling for GRE coaching. 

Whether the aspirant is interested in joining a technical university or a college of humanities, he/she will have to attend lectures and seminars in English. Therefore, the institutions screen students based on their ability to cope with the language. 

If students fail to match the necessary standards to continue studying in an environment where English dominates, they might drop out soon. Therefore, language tests are necessary, and students won't get admission in many Universities if they do not have a score band high enough to prove their expertise. 

Here is a country-specific list of Universities that accept students with PTE scores and along with their respective cut-off bands. 

American Universities That Accept PTE Score

  • Harvard University 
  • Babson College
  • Yale University 
  • Colorado State University
  • George Mason University
  • Columbia University
  • Pace University
  • University of Illinois, Chicago
  • SUNY, Binghamton
  • University of Southern California
  • University of Pennsylvania

Cut-Off: The safe cut-off for these Universities remains 60. Many of you, like Harvard, would accept students with a PTE score of 54 and above. While some keep the cut-off as high as 60. Therefore, 60 is the safe mark if a student wishes to apply to multiple Universities. Also, the cut-off varies from subject to subject and course to course.  

UK Universities That Accept PTE Score

  • University of Oxford
  • London Business School
  • Aston University
  • University of Bath
  • University of Southampton
  • University of Glasgow
  • University of Warwick

Cut-Off: To be admitted to any UK University, the safe margin remains between 60 and 65. Again, the subject-wise variations, University-specific differences remain applicable to these institutions as well. 

Canadian Universities That Accept PTE Score

  • University of Ottawa
  • University of British Columbia
  • University of Waterloo
  • University of Calgary
  • York University
  • Dalhousie University
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • McGill University

Cut-Off: To secure admission to a Canadian University, the best alternative would be to get a PTE score within the band of 55 to 60. Any score above 60 is always a safe one. 

The above list includes only a few Universities in these countries. Each of these countries has several other Universities that accept PTE scores. Countries like Australia, New Zealand, etc., have multiple Universities accepting foreign students with PTE scores. 

However, sending the PTE score to a University remains the trickiest part. Students cannot send the Universities a PDF of the score. They have to log in to the academic website of PTE and click on the "View Score Report" part and follow the steps to send the score. 

How To Register For PTE?

Aspirants who wish to study in Canada without IELTS should register for PTE. Follow the procedures listed below to register flawlessly. 

  • Visit the official portal: To begin with, they have to log in to the official portal of the PTE academic examination and create an account incorporating their personal information. Within 2 days of the registration, they will receive an email from PTE with their login credentials. 
  • Book a slot for the examination: Once they log in, they will find several test centers and have to pick the nearest one. This is when students also have to book a test date that suits their schedule. 
  • Confirm the booking of the examination: After selecting the center and the examination date, students have to click on checkout and make the payment to confirm the booking. The cost for appearing in this examination for Indians remains INR 15900. Get ready for the examination: Once they are done with the payment and receive a confirmation email from Pearson, it is time to get ready. 

Last-Minute Preparation Tips For The PTE Exam

For students who wish to study in any of the top-ranking Universities in Canada without IELTS, PTE remains the next best alternative. Scoring high in this examination paves the way to study abroad. Here are a few smart tips to ace the PTE examination in 2023. 

Get To Know About The Format: Before students start preparing for PTE, they should learn about the format in detail. The examination consists of three sections – speaking and writing, listening, and reading. Each of these sections has subtopics that they should prepare separately.  

Be Sure Of The Target Score: If a student has a clear idea of the Universities he/she wishes to join, they should learn about the PTE cut-off. This will help them set their score goal unclouded. 

Get Reliable Materials For Preparation: Start preparing strategically once the target score is clear. When students refer to any material for the exam preparations, they should take a reputed and reliable one. 

Manage Time: Once the students get the overview of the entire syllabus, divide it into small sections and allot each a separate time for preparation. This will help them focus on every part equally without messing things up.   

Stay Calm and Composed: Do not get unnerved or distracted during the examination. Follow the instructions well and abide by the word limits as much as possible. 

To score high in PTE, students do not have to be genius. If they follow a strategic preparation schedule and do not lose their peace of mind at the examination hall, they can pass this test with flying colors.

As mentioned earlier, the target should be to get a score high enough to ensure a smooth admission to a top University in London or Norway. Be careful about the presentation and the spelling; anyone can nail it. 

Study Abroad
Study in UK
Test Prep & Exams
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants