Social Sciences in UK: Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 09/02/2024
3 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Social sciences cover topics like Sociology, Criminology, International relations, Psychology, Anthropology, Political science, Economics, etc. Studying in UK for Social Science is a fulfilling career for aspirants including Indian students who seek to do social work, counseling, community development, policy analysis, human resources, and research. 

 Why study Social Sciences Programs in the UK ?

  • World-Class Universities: Universities like Oxford, Cambridge, and the London School of Economics and Political Science are top-ranked universities that offer Social Sciences programs.  
  • Diverse Course Offerings: Many UK universities allow students to choose their course based on their specific area of interest, whether it's sociology, psychology, anthropology, political science, or economics.  
  • Research Opportunities: The study exposes students to top experts in this field. It enhances the learning experience and allows them to contribute globally to ongoing research studies.  
  • Multicultural Environment: Studying Social Sciences in the UK offers an opportunity to interact with a diverse student population. Exposure to different perspectives and cultures helps students gain educational experience and improves one's understanding of the social construction of gender, gender roles, and gender inequality.  
  • Internationally Recognized Qualifications: Degrees earned from UK universities are globally accepted. A Social Sciences degree from the UK opens doors to excellent career opportunities and further education worldwide.  

Top Universities in the UK to Pursue Social Sciences Programs  

  • University of Oxford: Founded in 1096, the University is a collegiate research university in Oxford, England. It is ranked 1st for Social Sciences in the UK and 3rd worldwide. 
  • University of Cambridge: The University was founded in 1209 and is ranked 2nd in the best universities for Social Sciences in the UK and 6th in the world. The University offers Social Science programs that are both research-intensive and drive academic excellence.  
  • London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE): Founded in 1895, with over 9,000 students and 24 departments, it is one of the most prominent public research universities known for its in-depth Social Science programs. LSE is ranked 3rd in the best universities for Social Sciences in the UK and 8th globally. 

List of Social Sciences Programs in the UK 

Listing below are a few of the best courses in Social Sciences together with the University that it offers: 

  • Oxford Women's Leadership Development Programme- Said Business School, University of Oxford 
  • Programme Evaluation- St. James Research Centre 
  • Social work (post-qualifying) Credit-bearing Short Course-Kingston University 
  • The Introductory Lectures- Institute of Psychoanalysis 
  • Pathway to UKCP Hypno-Psychotherapeutic Counsellor-The National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy 

Admission Process Social Sciences Programs in the UK  

The student must choose the research and the University that aligns with their requirements.  

 Eligibility Criteria  

  •  Aspirants should fulfill all the requirements before applying to the bachelor's and master's courses in Social Sciences.  
  • The student should have a qualification certificate of 12th or bachelor's from a registered educational institution.  
  • Test scores of English proficiency tests like IELTS (6-6.5), TOEFL (90-120 above) PTE (53).  
  • The students should have all the documents ready, like a letter of recommendation, a strong statement of purpose, etc.  
  • Students should upload all their academic transcripts during admission.  

Documents Required  

 Here is the list of documents required to apply to UK Universities  

  • Academic Transcripts  
  • Financial support proof  
  • Student visa  
  • Statement of Purpose  
  • Valid Passport  
  • Letter of recommendation  
  • Resume  
  • Medical certificates  

 Visa Process  

  • The first step in obtaining a student visa is to apply to the UK university the student wishes to study and get a letter of enrollment from there. The student must submit a letter of acceptance from the University during their visa application.  
  • Complete the visa application form on the UK government's official website.  
  • They must pay the Visa application fees.  
  • Attend biometric appointments in your country.  
  • Then, students must also get insurance that covers the medical expenses during his/her stay in the UK.  
  • Submit the necessary documents.  
  • You may have to undergo a Visa interview in some cases where you must speak about your financial situation and study plans.  
  • The student must wait to receive the visa grant notice, which will have details like visa conditions and validity.  

Cost of Social Sciences Programs in the UK  

  • The cost of pursuing Social Sciences courses in the UK will be roughly 10 lakhs.  
  • The monthly living cost for an Indian student residing in the UK is around 1.6 lakhs.  
  • The cost of accommodation in the UK can be Rs. 95,000.  
  • Food can cost roughly 16000.  
  • The cost of transportation will be Rs. 7500.  
  • Household expenses will be Rs. 23000.  
  • And other miscellaneous expenses will be Rs. 26000.  

Scholarships for Social Sciences Programs in the UK  

  • Education Future International Scholarship- USA & Non-USA 2024: The scholarship offers partial funding for both bachelors and Masters Programs. The scholarship is also open to Indian nationals.  
  • ServiceScape 2024: The scholarship is available for undergraduates and postgraduates and offers partial funding.  
  • National Overseas Scholarship: The scholarship is open to Indian nationals and offers partial funding for both Masters's and Ph.D. programs.  
  • AP Ambedkar Overseas Vidya Nidhi Scholarships for SC Students 2024: The scholarship offers full funding for undergraduate, postgraduate, and PhD programs and is open to students from Andhra Pradesh.  
  • GREAT Scholarships 2024 (26*£ 10,000 awards): Over 26 postgraduate scholarships are available for candidates from India, and they cover the entire tuition fee. The minimum value of the scholarship is *£ 10,000. These scholarships are funded by both the British Council of India and the GREAT Britain Campaign.  
  • Commonwealth Scholarships-This scholarship covers various expenses, including tuition fees, living costs, and travel, and is awarded to Commonwealth countries only. 
  • The University of Nottingham Faculty of Social Sciences Alumni Scholarship Awards-This scholarship is given to humanities students. The award includes offers of financial support throughout the three-year course, amounting to £4,500. 

Career Opportunities for Completion of Social Science Programs in the UK  

The career opportunities available upon completing social science programs in the UK include researchers, policy analysts, social workers, public relations specialists, community development officers, etc. The salary for such job roles in the UK can range from 24 to 27 lakhs per annum. The future of Social sciences involves integrating technologies into studies like artificial intelligence to seek and validate data and analysis, thereby giving more in-depth insights into human behavior. 

FAQs  

  • Which is the best Social Science course? 

Determining the best social science course is difficult as each offers unique perspectives and opportunities. You must choose the course that best aligns with your interests

  • What is the highest-paying job in Social Sciences? 

Some of the highest-paying jobs in Social Sciences include Economist, Political Scientist, Industrial-Organizational Psychologist, Market Research Analyst, and Human Resources Manager 

  • Is Social Science a good degree in the UK? 

A Social Science degree can be a good choice in the UK. It offers versatility and career opportunities across various sectors and develops critical skills. 

  • What are the Social Science subjects in the UK? 

Social science subjects in the UK include Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, Politics, Geography, Social policy, Linguistics, and international relations. 

  • Is Social work a high-paying job in the UK? 

Social work is not a high-paying job in the UK. The salary for social work positions in the UK ranges from 2.5 -4 lakhs annually. 

Study Abroad
Study in UK
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants