Taking Up Post-Graduation Programs in The UK: What You Need To Know

Study Abroad Team 28/07/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Know Why the UK Is the Top Choice Among Indian Students 

The United Kingdom is a top-rated destination among Indian students when it comes to pursuing higher studies. It ranks just next to the United States and has a diverse variety of highly reputed institutions, along with some of the oldest universities around the globe.  

According to the latest statistics from the Higher Education Statistics Agency, around 679,000 international students are pursuing their degree courses in the country, with approximately 338,000 students enrolled in a postgraduate program. The United Kingdom is home to some of the best engineering colleges in the world for Indian students. 

Latest statistics also depict that over 3 lakh Indian students are expected to enroll in UK universities in 2023. This proves that more and more Indian students are inclined towards the United Kingdom for their bachelor's and master's studies. 

Post Graduate In the UK  

A master's degree is always worth it if aspirants are trying to boost their knowledge in their field of study or if they’re trying to get better job prospects. It will also allow them to further pursue their Ph.D. in the UK if they plan to get into research after a postgraduate degree.  

One thing that differentiates the education here is that most PG programs are short-term. For example, unlike PG courses in Canada that last about 2-3 years (for degree courses), the duration for most PG programs in the UK is about 9-12 months. This helps if aspirants are trying to save time without compromising the quality of education.  

The Two Types of PG Courses in the UK 

Universities in the country offer two main types of courses, taught masters and research masters. As the name suggests, Taught master’s focuses mainly on theoretical topics and assesses students with the help of exams, assignments, and projects. The teaching method mostly comprises lectures and workshops.  Of course, degrees that fall under this type include MBAs, Master of Science, Master of Arts, and Master of Engineering, to name a few.  

The second type of program, a Research master, usually focuses on independent study over taught theory and practical assignments. This type, of course, is suitable for students planning to get a Ph.D. in the UK. Here, students are asked to focus their studies on a given thesis under the guidance of an academic supervisor.  Of course, PG degrees that fall under this type include Master of Research and Master of Philosophy. 

Taking Up Post-Graduation Programs in The UK: What You Need To Know

Eligibility Criteria for PG Studies in the UK 

The eligibility criteria for pursuing a postgraduate program in the UK vary greatly from course to course. Each course has different requirements that students are asked to fulfill to pursue the program in their respective universities. 

Let’s look at some of the requirements that every student must fulfill, regardless of their chosen course.  

A Bachelor’s Degree: 

Students who wish to pursue their master’s in the UK must have a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 55-60% in their field of study. Furthermore, having a CGPA of about 6.5-7 by the end of a bachelor’s is suggested to increase the chances of getting into decent colleges. If aspirants fail to meet such requirements, they can always opt for a pre-masters to pave the way for a master's.  

Work Experience:

 If students are applying for courses like an MBA in the UK, they would be required to have a minimum of 1-2 years of work experience if they want to go for top programs in the country.  

English Proficiency Test:

 Another necessary requirement, no matter what course international aspirants are trying to pursue, is a decent score on an English language test. The two tests considered valid in the UK are IELTS and TOEFL. Students must submit one of the results of either of the two tests to prove their proficiency in the English language. An IELTS score of 6.5-7 and a TOEFL score of 90-110 is accepted by most universities in the United Kingdom.  

UK Student Visa: 

Without a doubt, a student visa is required by all countries to allow international students to study in their respective countries. Additionally, a student will require a range of official documents to apply for their student permit or visa. To be eligible for a UK student visa, an aspirant will require proof of financial stability, an offer letter from a legitimate institute or university, and their English language proficiency test results, such as IELTS or TOEFL. 

A Fairly Good Personal Statement: 

Most universities and institutions in the United Kingdom ask their applicants to submit a personal essay that states why they want to study that course and why the applicant thinks their institution would be a good fit for them. For acceptance into good universities, students need to make sure their statement is unique and impressive. Excellent universities like Oxford and Cambridge accept only extraordinary essays for admission. 

Research Proposal: 

This criterion is exclusive for students applying to research-taught courses. Applicants will be asked to submit a decent research proposal for many research-oriented and doctoral courses to get admitted. The research proposal will outline what and how the applicant plans to execute their research and why it is a necessary research subject. 

Letters Of Recommendation: 

All institutions in the UK ask applicants to submit good letters of recommendation. Most international students applying for their master’s choose their mentors or teachers from their UG course as their referees. Additionally, choosing family and friends as referees is not suggested for the recommendation letter to be considered unbiased and objective. 

GMAT/GRE Score: 

Very few universities in the UK require GRE scores, unlike those in the United States. For those who do, a GMAT score of 660+ or a GRE score of 160+ is accepted by most universities.  

Fee Structure for Studying in the UK  

Unlike pursuing a master’s in Germany, the United Kingdom has an expensive education system for international students. Students are often required to pay hefty amounts if they do not qualify for any scholarships.  

Furthermore, the fee structure depends on the course applicants plan to pursue. Below is a brief of the average cost of tuition depending upon the type of course for international students.  

  • Master of Arts - £10,000 to £15000 
  • Master of Business Administration - £10,000 to £35,000 
  • Master of Science/Engineering - £10,000 to £22,000 
  • Doctoral Programs - £15,000 to £24,000 

Why Indian Students Should Consider the UK For Postgraduate Courses 

As discussed below, there are several benefits of studying in the UK for international students.  

Better Salary After Graduation: 

A master's degree advances a student’s career and opens them to many job opportunities. Furthermore, a master’s degree from a country like the UK will improve their salary potential by a large difference.  

Better Connections and Competition: 

Another reason a developed country like the UK would be a suitable choice is the connections an aspirant will make throughout their journey. A culturally diverse and academically smarter group of peers will ensure that students live in a competitive environment that will help them thrive.  

It Will Make Way for a Ph.D.: 

Going for a postgraduate will open the door to several advanced opportunities, such as doctoral programs. Pursuing a Ph.D. in Germany, the UK, and other developed countries holds a high value, and is the highest degree awarded in universities.  

Academic Excellence: 

No one doubts that the UK has several prestigious and renowned universities known around the world for their outstanding education and extremely low acceptance rate. Some of the oldest universities like the University of Oxford and the University of Edinburgh provide the best quality of education with world-class facilities and amenities.  

Top Universities in the UK for Postgraduate Courses 

University of Cambridge:

 Founded in 1209, this university is one of the oldest universities in the world. It is the highest-ranked university in the UK, ranked 2nd by QS World and 3rd worldwide by Times Higher Education.  

Oxford University:

 This university has evidence of being established in 1096, making it one of the oldest universities across the globe! The QS world ranking and Times Higher Education ranking for this university for 2023 are 4th and 1st, respectively.  

Imperial College of London:

 Established in 1907, this college has excellent research programs and is situated in the capital city of London, as the name suggests. The QS world ranking for this university for the year 2023 is 3rd. This institute is undoubtedly one of the best colleges for students pursuing a career in STEM.  

Other top colleges in the United Kingdom for Post Graduate Programs include: 

  • University College London (UCL) 
  • King’s College London (KCL) 
  • University of Manchester 
  • University of Bristol 
  • The University of Edinburgh 
  • The University of Warwick  

Summing it Up  

Studying postgraduate in the UK is a dream of many international students. Luckily, with the increase of grants, waivers, and scholarships in 2023, more and more students can turn this dream into reality and head toward academic excellence and personal development. Study in the UK to avail the benefits of outstanding academics, diverse campuses, and world-class facilities. 

Study Abroad
Study in UK
#studyabroad
#courses&programs
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants