Top Exams to Take Up To Study in the UK for Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 27/12/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Every year, many Indian students enroll in a college or university in the United Kingdom to pursue a course or program. Several reputed educational institutions in the UK offer a plethora of well-structured courses. However, to get admission to a college or university based in the UK, an applicant has to appear in a couple of exams.

Top Exams to Take Up To Study in the UK for Indian Students

Accepted Language Proficiency Tests in the UK

English is the language used by most people based in the UK to communicate with each other. More importantly, it is the language that a student needs to be proficient in if they wish to get into one of the colleges or universities in the UK. If students plan to study in the UK after 12, they don't have to research subjects like the GMAT exam structure and GMAT vs. GRE for MBA. Whenever a student does some research on the study in the UK for Indian students or the entrance exam for abroad studies, one of the first things they learn about is the language proficiency tests.

These language proficiency tests are designed to check the kind of command an applicant has over the English language. Suppose a student plans to study in a UK-based university to obtain a postgraduate degree, undergraduate degree, diploma, or certificate. In that case, they must go through an English language proficiency test first. Following are three of the most popular English language proficiency tests for studying in the UK:

TOEFL

TOEFL, which stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language, is an English language proficiency test that determines how proficiently the applicant can speak, read and write in English. By conducting this test, the authorities determine whether an Indian student knows English well enough to grasp their academic studies in the UK. Students can get information about TOEFL examinations from various online sources.According to an official report, more than 27 million people worldwide have given the TOEFL test to check their proficiency in English. UK happens to be one of the many countries which accept the TOEFL test. Along with the other requirements, the university will consider the student's TOEFL during the screening process.

IELTS

IELTS, or the International English Language Testing System, is known for being the world's most popular English language proficiency test. When a student plans to study in the UK, this is one of the language proficiency tests they can consider. Over 11,000 organizations in the world accept this test and give importance to the score received by students in it.The IELTS was put together more than three decades back and, therefore, can be considered one of the pioneers in this space. Even today, the IELTS enjoys a great reputation and is preferred by many students who plan to study in the UK. Apart from the United Kingdom, the governmental authorities of other countries like Canada, New Zealand, and Australia use IELTS as one of the tests to process immigration applications.

PTE

In today's times, there is so much chatter about artificial intelligence or AI. If a student is looking for an AI-based English language proficiency test, they can appear for PTE or the Pearson Test of English. This AI-powered language proficiency test is conducted by Pearson, a renowned UK-based organization that provides educational and testing services.The PTE Academic score of a student plays an important role in them getting admission to a college or university of their choice in the UK. Apart from UK-based universities, educational institutions based in Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand also consider the PTE score valid. This test is crucial to migration applications as well.

Which Exam to Take Up After 12 for a Degree in the UK? 

Students, who wish to study in the UK after completing 12th grade, get many options to choose from. Apart from private universities, students can also apply to public health institutions in the UK to get their undergraduate degrees.The UK is home to some of the most reputed universities in the world, like the Imperial College of London, Cambridge, London School of Economics, University of Durham, and Oxford University. Some courses applicants who have finished 12th grade can choose from are engineering, business & management, health, education, law, computer science, and information technology.Before a student thinks about applying to a college or university in the UK after 12, they should read up on the eligibility criteria.

The eligibility criteria depend on several factors, including the location of the university and the course the student opts for. However, there are certain things that most educational institutions in the UK require or look for.To apply to a UK-based university after 12, a student must be at least 18 years old. If the student is planning to apply for a science or commerce program, they must score a minimum of 70%. For the Humanities, the minimum percentage is 65%. Those who have secured at least 60% can apply for foundation and diploma programs.Before embarking upon applying to colleges and universities in the UK, a student should put a bunch of documents in a file and show or refer to them as and when necessary.

While submitting class 10 and 12 certificates is a must, applicants must also submit two academic reference letters.The student is also expected to submit proof of funds that substantiates their claim of having enough funds to complete their course. They must also prove their scores for one of the English proficiency tests. Some of the other documents they are required to submit are their resume and a statement of purpose.Before a student applies to any university in the UK, they need to know about the deadlines set by the different universities. While some universities have shorter deadlines, some are more flexible with these things like these.

Entrance Tests in the UK for a Mathematics Graduate

Securing a degree in Mathematics from any of the reputed universities in the UK not only opens doors to new professional opportunities but also bolsters a student's career prospects in several different ways. To do a Mathematics based program after 12, a student has to appear for two important tests:

Mathematics Admission Test (MAT)

Whether a student wishes to apply for a course in Mathematics or a Computer Science program, they must sit for the Mathematics Admission Test or MAT. This particular test is given a lot of importance by top universities like the University of Warwick, Imperial College London and University of Oxford.As an assessment test, MAT determines how well the applicants have understood the different mathematics concepts, applications and principles. Before students appear for this test, they should spend some time preparing for it.

Sixth Term Examination Paper (STEP)

The Sixth Term Examination Paper or STEP is a test designed to determine the extent to which the applicant can apply their knowledge of AS and A-level mathematics. This test is important in determining whether an applicant will get through an undergraduate Mathematics program.

Like the MAT test, the STEP exam also requires much preparation from the students' end. Before applying for this test, a student needs to make themselves well aware of the entry requirements.

Entrance Tests to Pursue Medical Degree in the UK

The UK is known to be one of the best countries for medical aspirants. To pursue a medical course in the country, an applicant has to appear for the following tests.

Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT)

The Graduate Medical School Admissions Test, or GAMSAT, is designed by the Consortium of Graduate Medical Schools and the Australian Council for Education Research (ACER). It is meant for students who wish to opt for a medical graduate program in the UK. This test is also conducted by universities based in Ireland and Australia. 

BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT)

The BioMedical Admissions Test or BMAT is a test that is put together for applicants who are interested in pursuing a course in biomedical science, medicine, or dentistry in the UK. The credit for developing this well-structured test goes to Cambridge Assessment Admissions Testing. Apart from UK-based universities, this test is also conducted by medical colleges based in Singapore, Malaysia, Spain, Thailand, Croatia, Hungary and the Netherlands.

Health Professions Admission Test (HPAT)

The Health Professions Admission Test or HPAT is an admission test that concerns applicants who wish to pursue a medical course in the UK. It is a three-hour long test which is divided into three sections. While the first two sections comprise multiple-choice questions, the third involves written communication.

University Clinical Aptitude Test (UCAT)

Suppose a student is interested in applying for a dental, medical or health-related course in the UK. In that case, they must appear for the University Clinical Aptitude Test or UCAT. It holds as much weight as the BioMedical Admissions Test. This particular test consists of different sections like verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning and decision-making. 

Study Abroad
Study in UK
#overseaseducation
#studyabroad
#testprep
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants