UK Study Visa Requirements for Indian Students

Study Abroad Team 02/06/2023
6 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Types of UK Student Visas 

Seven out of every ten students aspire to pursue higher studies in the United Kingdom. This country boasts some of the globally reputed colleges and Universities. Thousands of students from India and many other nations visit the UK annually for higher education. It is indispensable for an aspirant to hold a valid student visa to travel to the UK and pursue the coveted study program in this nation. 

International students who wish to study in the UK must do the needful to obtain a UK student visa quickly. It is essential to have an explicit knowledge of the different types of UK student visas. Every applicant must remember that the validity of the UK student visa depends on the study program duration one chooses to pursue. 
UK Study Visa Requirements for Indian Students

Keep reading to learn about the primary types of UK visas a student can apply for.

  • Student Visa: This type of UK student visa is similar to the earlier Tier 4 visa. It is mainly for students above 18 years old, and the validity of this student visa can be extendable up to 2 to 5 years.
  • Short-Term UK Study Visa: Aspirants who want to study abroad, especially in the UK, and pursue an English language study program can apply for this particular study visa. However, it is paramount to remember that one can stay in the UK and study an English course for a maximum of 11 months.
  • Child Student Visa: Students between 4 and 17 years of age who have received an offer from a UK independent educational institute can be eligible for this visa.
  • Regular UK Visitor Visa: Aspirants can apply for a regular UK visitor visa to study in the UK. The UK government grants this visa to every individual who wants to travel to the United Kingdom.

Required Documents for UK Student Visa 

Students must keep several documents handy when applying for a UK student visa from India. Aside from the necessary documents, keeping academic and financial records organized is essential. It is advisable to refer to the checklist pertinent to the UK student visa before a student visits the consulate to appear for the visa interview.

Here are the documents that students who wish to pursue a course in the UK must have when applying.

  • A correctly filled-out UK visa application form.
  • Applicants below 18 years of age need proof of their guardian’s or parent’s consent.
  • A valid passport
  • A latest passport-sized photograph
  • Financial stability evidence
  • An acceptance letter a student receives from the University that grants admission to them
  • ATAS certificate
  • Provisional certificates or original mark sheets
  • Results of GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL to prove English language proficiency
  • Confirmation of receipt of the UK visa fee payment
  • Police clearance certificate

Eligibility Criteria to be Fulfilled for UK Student Visa 

It is important for an interested student to fulfill certain criteria to be eligible for a UK student visa from India or other nations. Here’s what an aspirant needs to meet.

  • An applicant has to be above 18 years of age to get permission to pursue higher studies in the UK. Otherwise, consent from parents is a must if a student is 16 or 17 years old.
  • International students must prove that they have adequate financial stability and can support themselves throughout the tenure of the course.
  • A student needs to prove that a recognized University has agreed to give admission to a student for a full-time study program.
  • Proving decent proficiency in the English language is a must for students who wish to study in the UK.

UK Student Visa Processing Fee 

A student from India or different countries must pay around £363 or 37,082 INR for a UK student visa. Moreover, applicants need to bear a healthcare-specific expense. However, this depends entirely on the time they stay in the UK. Here are the primary modes of UK student visa fee payment.

  • Visa card or MasterCard if online payment is the priority
  • Demand draft at the center where an aspirant applies for the UK student visa
  • Cash payment at the same place where a student visits for the visa interview

Making the timely payment for the UK embassy fees for a student visa in India is requisite. An international student must visit the UK government’s official website to apply for a UK student visa online. 

It is prudent to apply for the appropriate UK student visa at least six months before traveling to the United Kingdom. The date of visa application is when an applicant makes the payment for the visa application. 

Processing Time for the UK Student Visa

It takes nearly three weeks to process the UK student visa once an applicant submits the visa application form completely and pays the fees. 

Application Process for UK Student Visa 

Applying for a UK student visa from the comfort of home is easy these days for interested students. Here’s what an aspirant requires to do when he or she applies for a student visa online.

  • Applicants must prove they are eligible for a UK student visa. Therefore, submitting CAS, the letter of acceptance from the University, is necessary. In addition, a qualified student must establish that he or she has sufficient bank balance to pay tuition fees and bear the living cost in the UK.
  • Paperwork preparation is mandatory before applying for a UK student visa.
  • The first step to applying online is to visit the official UK visa site. Then, a student has to sign up and create an account once on the site. Printing and signing the form is necessary after applying online. It is advisable to use the appointment calendar that an applicant finds online to book an appointment at the facility where they apply for a UK student visa from India or other countries. 
  • Paying the visa application fee post-submitting the form is a must. Choosing the most feasible mode of payment is wise to experience no hassle.
  • Visiting the visa application center on the scheduled date is the last step. Being on time for the visa interview is crucial if a student wants to get approval to study in the UK. Applicants must carry a physical copy of every important document when they visit the application facility.

Latest changes in UK Student Visa for Indian students 

The British government has modified the UK student visa to make things easier for students from India and other nations. 

The free movement to the United Kingdom no longer exists from January 1st, 2022. It has been replaced with the UK’s latest points-based system related to immigration. 

There is no limit for students from India and other countries who want to visit the UK under the new student route.

The UK government has clarified that it will give more priority to those applicants who are highly skilled and have academic, technology, or scientific-specific qualifications.

The sole objective behind making new changes is to increase the number of international students who wish to study in the UK. 

The British Council has observed lately that the UK government’s latest changes have positively impacted the total number of Indian students who prefer to pursue higher studies in the UK.

Study Abroad
Study in UK
Visa Application
0 paperCraftAnimation
1
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants