Get Your International STEM Degree For Less - Colleges in The USA with Scholarships

Study Abroad Team 09/06/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Get Your International STEM Degree for Less: Colleges in the USA with Scholarships

STEM is an abbreviated form of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM courses are top-rated among students based in different countries. Every year, many students apply for STEM courses offered by universities based in the United States of America.

While many US-based colleges provide STEM courses, students can conserve a lot of money if they opt for a college or university that offers students scholarships for such courses.

Get Your International STEM Degree For Less - Colleges in The USA with Scholarships

Introduction to STEM Scholarships in US Colleges: An Overview

STEM courses refer to the courses that fall under the purview of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. When a college or university wishes to attract international students, it has to make STEM courses an integral part of its offerings. Colleges based in the United States of America are no different.

To encourage students to enroll themselves in STEM courses, US-based colleges, and universities offer them scholarships. These scholarships are of different types and are offered to students based on their merit, skills, and other factors. If a student is interested in pursuing a STEM course from a US-based university or universities in Germany, they should consider applying for a scholarship.

Doing a STEM course in the US would cost quite a lot of money. At times, the unaffordability of these courses prevents meritorious students from taking them up. However, going to a US-based college and doing a STEM course there would become a much more affordable option if students have secured a scholarship for themselves.

Applying for a STEM scholarship offered by a US college or university in Switzerland has several benefits. Apart from making the student’s college education far more affordable, it will also enable them to take care of other important expenses like tuition, basic supplies, and room rent. They could pursue a STEM course without dealing with any kind of financial pressure or burden.

When a student majors in STEM or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, it becomes much easier for them to apply for a scholarship offered by a college or university in the USA. One of the best things about STEM scholarships is that they don’t feature a variety of criteria to adhere to.

A student possessing an F-1 visa can travel to the USA and be there for a while to pursue and complete a STEM course. While the USA is known for being a good country for pursuing higher studies, it has a very strong reputation for offering well-designed STEM courses.

While several countries, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, and Australia, offer STEM courses, the USA remains one of the top choices for students wishing to pursue a STEM course abroad. Norway's top universities and universities in the UK for international students also offer scholarships, but US colleges and universities have the edge over them. The country attracts a large number of foreign students every year who are interested in doing STEM courses.

Here are some of the biggest advantages of doing a STEM course from a US-based university:

Productivity

When students enroll in a US-based university offering STEM courses, they can look forward to experiencing a great amount of growth. American STEM colleges and universities have a reputation for providing students with various activities that contribute to their growth and well-being.

Apart from attending lectures and meetings, students also get the opportunity to participate in sporting activities, engage in charitable work, attend concerts, and become a part of several other interesting activities. Even when students are not studying, they can be seen participating in some productive work or activity.

Job Opportunities

California, often referred to as the Silicon Valley of the US, serves as the country's technological base. This is one of the important reasons why Indian students wish to pursue STEM courses in the United States. The scope offered by US-based universities is much higher than those provided by universities in Italy for international students. 

When a student is in or around California, they get exposed to cutting-edge and high-end technology. Apart from expanding their knowledge, access to such resources also boosts their career prospects. After finishing college, it becomes easier for a student to land a job in this field.

Broad Perspective 

A student pursuing a STEM course in a US-based university gets the opportunity to widen their perspective in different ways. Those who have read about American culture would be familiar with it, encouraging students to be inquisitive and open-minded.

When an individual is studying subjects like Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, they should be open to receiving newer ideas and understanding fresh concepts. Learning new things is extremely important for students constantly trying to come up with solutions for complex problems.

Cultural Exchange

When an Indian student pursues a STEM course in a university in the USA, they can expect to interact with students from different countries, not just Americans. Mingling with students of different nationalities will result in healthy cultural exchange and contribute to their growth.

Engaging with students of different nationalities will also make a student more tolerant and help them adapt to different cultures and worldviews. An Indian student will never feel homesick in an American university as they will find several other Indian students to interact with.

Top US Colleges Offering Fully-Funded STEM Scholarships for International Students

Undergrads who wish to study in the United States have a lot of STEM scholarships to choose from. While applying for a particular scholarship, they must look at its eligibility criteria. To get better information about the scholarships, applicants can speak to students who had previously applied for scholarships.

Some of the STEM scholarships that undergraduate students can apply for are ASDSO Scholarship, AIAA Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships Program, Steinman Scholarship, Microsoft Scholarship Program, BMW/SAE Engineering Scholarship, ASME Scholarships Program, Scholarship America Dream Award, USRA Scholarship Award, Herbert Levy Memorial Scholarship, Peggy Dixon Scholarship and Steinman Scholarship.

Here is a list of some of the STEM scholarships offered by colleges, universities, and other institutions based in the United States.

Nellie Yeoh Whetten Award

The Nellie Yeoh Whetten Award is a scholarship designed to recognize the excellence achieved by female students studying subjects like science and technology. The applicant must be a registered graduate student studying in an academic institution. This scholarship is offered by the America Vacuum Society or AVS, a global community that works towards promoting research in the STEM space.

Asian-American Architects and Engineers Foundation Scholarship

The Asian-American Architects and Engineers Foundation Scholarship is given out to students based on their submitted sample projects, essays and observational research reports. Apart from engineering aspirants, those who wish to study architecture or construction can also win this scholarship.

Women Forward in Technology Scholarship Program

As the name or title of this scholarship program suggests, it is meant for women who want to enroll in STEM courses in a college or university in the United States. Since the number of female students in the STEM field is much less than that of male students, this scholarship has been designed to empower them. $3,000 are given to those who win this scholarship.

Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarship Program

The Lockheed Martin STEM Scholarship Program is designed for students who have majored in computer science or engineering and wish to pursue a STEM course in the United States. As many as 200 renewable scholarships valued at $10,000 each can be flinched by STEM aspirants. A student, who is interested in this scholarship program, can get in touch with recruitment teams at Lockheed Martin.

How to Apply for STEM Scholarships in US Colleges

Applying for STEM scholarships in US colleges is very convenient and simple. The first thing an applicant needs to do is visit the college website or the scholarship they plan to apply for. After that, they must register on the website by creating a username or ID.

After a successful registration process, they can log in to the website whenever they wish to. It would be advisable for the student to get done with the application process as soon as possible. The student can finalize the submission process by submitting the documents the website asks for.

Tips and Strategies for Winning STEM Scholarships in US Colleges

Not every student manages to win a STEM scholarship. However, many manage to win scholarships every year. If an applicant uses the right strategies and follows good advice, they are likely to win a STEM scholarship.

Apply Early

One of the simplest but most effective tips when applying for STEM scholarships is to apply early. Most colleges and universities in the United States offering STEM courses keep a certain amount of money aside for scholarship programs. A student must apply for a scholarship before the college exhausts its funds.

Proofread

After filling up an application, the applicant must get it proofread by somebody. Apart from identifying errors and typos, the person would be able to offer them constructive feedback and guidance on how to write an application that leaves an impact. It would not be bad for the applicant to get their application read by multiple people.

Time Management

While applying for STEM scholarships, time management is very important. When a student is planning to apply for multiple scholarship applications, they need to note all the deadlines and ensure that they have enough time to fill up all the applications they wish.

Study Abroad
overseas education
Study in USA
Colleges & Universities
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants