How To Make The Most Of Your Psychology Studies in The US

Study Abroad Team 28/07/2023

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Psychology is a subject that can help one understand them and others better and learn a lot about human behaviors. Most students who aspire to study abroad to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Psychology choose the USA. The reason is colleges and Universities in the USA that offer Psychology programs boast a highly advanced infrastructure, facilities, and experienced faculty.Nowadays, every company, organization, and institution prioritizes mental well-being. It has become necessary more than ever to understand the psyche of an individual in a world where nearly everyone experiences stress and anxiety daily. No one except a professional psychologist can better understand why a human behaves or acts in a particular manner.

The advantages of studying Psychology are countless, one of which is a rewarding career. Moreover, a student can transform remarkably while pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Psychology from an American higher education institute. The subject can help aspirants improve skills, including communication, problem-solving, critical thinking, etc., besides learning to manage emotions better. Applying these skills to everyday life can enable one to help others, aside from experiencing holistic development. Instead of any other foreign country, an aspirant must choose to study in the USA to pursue a career in Psychology.

How To Make The Most Of Your Psychology Studies in The US

Top Specializations in the Field of Psychology

Psychology encompasses everything that involves studying the human mind and behaviors. This specific field is relatively broad, so one can choose to pursue one of the following specializations.

  • Clinical psychology
  • Developmental psychology
  • Sports psychology
  • Forensic psychology
  • Research
  • Law enforcement

Universities in the US that Offer Psychology Programs

A Psychology degree can open the doors to excellent career opportunities for graduates because of their broader skills base. US Universities offering courses in Psychology allow students to focus more on their specific areas of interest.Psychology programs enable students to experience hands-on learning, applying which outside the class can prove immensely beneficial for them. In addition, having substantial real-world experience can make a Psychology graduate a more potential candidate for their coveted jobs.

Here are the top-ranked US Universities where a student can pursue a Psychology course.

  • University of South Carolina
  • The University of Illinois Chicago
  • University of Kansas
  • Harvard University
  • Stanford University
  • Yale University
  • Columbia University

Top Reasons Why Students Study Psychology in the USA

Read on to understand why students who want to study abroad from different parts of the world flock to the United States to pursue Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. degrees in Psychology.

  • The USA is home to a good number of Universities that are renowned all over the world for offering top-quality Psychology programs. Psychology is one of the popular courses of study in this student-friendly nation.
  • American higher education institutes offer more than 50 specialization Psychology courses to national and international students.
  • Psychology graduates and postgraduates get multiple career options once they bag the coveted degree from reputed US colleges and Universities.
  • In the USA, around 148,000 individuals work as professional clinical psychologists. The demand for qualified psychologists worldwide in hospitals, nursing homes, educational institutions, etc., is growing significantly.
  • The annual salary range of a psychologist in the United States is 70,000 -100,000 USD.
  • So, all the reasons mentioned above compel more and more international students to pursue a Psychology program in the US.

Overview of A Psychology Program in the USA

In the United States, a degree program in Psychology is regarded as a STEM course. One can earn this as a stand-alone degree or an integral part of a Ph.D. program, including thesis work. It takes four years for a Bachelor’s degree course in psychology to complete and 1-2 years for the Master’s degree program.The estimated Psychology course tuition cost is between 23,500 USD and 60,275 USD. International students can make the most of several options available for financial assistance.

Admission Requirements to Meet to Qualify for a Psychology Course

Here are some major requirements to meet if an applicant wants to secure admission at a US college or University to study Psychology.

  • At least 300-310 GRE scores (Some US higher education institutions accept applications without GRE)
  • Applicants must have achieved a 3-3.5 GPA on a 4-point scale.
  • Aspirants need to submit proof of English language proficiency, such as a TOEFL score of 79-102 or an IELTS score of 6.5-7.5
  • If applying for a Master of Psychology, it is a must for an applicant to have an academic background in introductory or general psychology.
  • It is essential to have a Master of Psychology degree when applying for a Ph.D. in the USA for Indian students and others from different countries.

Essential Documents Required for Psychology Program Admission in the USA

A Psychology aspirant must submit the necessary documents to increase the possibilities of securing admission at a coveted college or University in the USA.

  • Properly filled-out application form
  • Transcripts of academic certificates
  • GRE score sheet
  • TOEFL or IELTS score sheet
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Proofs of financial sources to cover expenses to study in the USA as well as living cost
  • A copy of the valid passport
  • Mandatory health insurance proof
  • Details of work experience (only if required)

Career Options for Psychology Graduates

Everyone with an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Psychology can pursue a lucrative and rewarding career in schools, colleges, Universities, hospitals, and outpatient centers. Moreover, most students who study a Ph.D. program in Psychology after post-graduation pursue careers in research and development.The average annual salary of a student with a Doctor’s degree in Psychology is much more (88,000 USD) than Psychology postgraduates (55,000 USD). In the initial years of their careers, many individuals with a Master’s degree in psychology work under the supervision of seasoned clinical psychologists in various fields such as counseling, testing, and clinical psychology.

Psychology graduates consider themselves luckier because of the rapidly-growing avenues such as industrial and organizational psychology. Here are the popular career options for candidates who study in the USA to obtain a degree in Psychology.

  • Psychiatrist
  • Clinical Psychologist
  • Forensic Psychologist
  • School Psychologist
  • Sports Psychologist
  • Engineering Psychologist
  • Industrial-organizational Psychologist
  • Mental Health Counselor
  • Psychology Teacher/Professor
  • Child Development Specialist
  • Researcher

Scholarships Available for Psychology Aspirants

Apart from MBBS in the USA for Indian students, various scholarships are available for every international student who aspires to pursue a Psychology program. Applying for a scholarship is paramount for a student who wants to enroll in a Psychology course in the USA but doesn’t belong to an affluent family. Every applicant must submit proof of financial sources or stability.

No matter how talented and passionate an applicant is about studying Psychology, no renowned US University will grant admission if they do not have adequate funding. Many institutions and organizations practice the noble job of providing scholarships for hard-working, qualified students who wish to study in the USA at a top-ranked institute well-known for offering top-quality Psychology courses.

Here are the scholarships available for Psychology aspirants.

  • Dr. Michael Horowitz or Dr. Jeannie Gutierrez Scholarships for Immigrant on First Generation Applicants
  • Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation
  • PEO International Peace Scholarship
  • QS Leadership Scholarship for Masters
  • President’s Scholarship
  • American Psychological Foundation Scott and Paul Pearsall Scholarship

It is advisable to conduct extensive research before choosing US Universities where an aspirant wants to study Psychology. The wise decision for an interested student is to consider the University rankings, quality of the Psychology program, budget, location, and current status of the Psychology graduates. Doing so will give a clear idea of the fields where alumni are pursuing their careers and how successful they are in their jobs.

Study Abroad
Study in USA
#studyabroad
#studyinusa
#courses
#courses/programs
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants