Political Science in USA - Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 30/01/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Highlights of the Political Science Courses in USA

Political Science is an inclusive study domain covering areas like political theory, international relations, Government Structure, Policy Making, Geopolitics, and more.  The USA remains one of the best places to study Political Science. The country has several reputed institutions offering courses in this subject. 

Graduates and post-graduates of renowned Universities in the USA get hired by the top companies worldwide. Students can also pursue careers in academics or the government sector after graduating in Political Science. Studying in USA is the best choice for Indian Students.

Why Study Political Science Courses in USA 

The USA is one of the most thriving economies in the world. Therefore, foreign students find this place full of opportunities to start a career. The culturally adaptive environment of the USA makes it easier for foreign students to cope with the new place. 

This country is also known for its free voice and respect for the tenets of democracy. Therefore, the Universities offer an open environment for encouraging critical thinking, essential for studying Political Science.  Plus, the number of globally acclaimed Universities in the USA remains relatively high. Almost all these institutions offer courses in the domain of political science.   In short, finding a suitable career path after completing a course in Political Science from a reputed US university becomes easier. 

Types of Political Science Courses in USA

Students can get admitted to UG, PG, or doctoral courses in Political Science in the USA. The following are a few of the most popular courses.

The following are a few undergraduate courses offered by the top Universities in the USA. 

  • Bachelor of Arts in American Politics
  • Bachelor of Arts in Politics
  • Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – American Government

The list below contains a few postgraduate courses offered by prestigious Universities in the USA. 

  • Master of Arts in Political Science – American Politics
  • Master of Arts in International Affairs
  • Master of Arts in Applied American Politics
  • Master of Arts in International Relations

Ph. D Courses

  • International students can also apply for doctoral courses in Political Science at several US Universities. The area of research remains wide, and some of the positions also come with teaching positions. 
  • These are only a few courses offered by the most prestigious Universities in America. Find out more courses offered by the US universities by visiting their websites. 
  • Students can check the University websites carefully to learn more courses available in this domain. 

List of Universities Offering Political Science Courses in USA

The USA has top Universities across its boundaries. The USA has a few institutions that rank within the top 10 universities worldwide, especially for studying political science. Here is a list of universities where international students can study Political Science. 

  • Princeton University
  • MIT
  • New York University 
  • Georgetown University
  • Harvard University 
  • Stanford University 
  • Columbia University
  • Yale University 
  • University of California, San Diego
  • University Of California, Berkeley
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • Rice University
  • The University of Chicago

Admission Process to Political Science Courses in USA

Getting admitted to one of the top Universities in the USA to pursue a course in Political Science requires the students to follow an admission process. The international student should be ready with their documents, language proficiency test scores, and LORs. 

Eligibility Criteria

The following remain the eligibility criteria to apply to different US Universities to study Political Science. 

UG Courses

For undergraduate courses, students should have their senior secondary mark sheets ready. Generally, students with high scores get selected by the best Universities in the USA.  

PG Courses

For PG courses, international students must have a BA degree of at least 55% and preferably 60%. The CGPA of a bachelor’s degree can be critical for the selection procedure. 

Ph. D Courses

For Ph. D courses, the application process varies from one University to another. Generally, the area of research plays a critical role here. However, to apply for a doctoral degree, students must have a Master of Arts in Political Science.  Academic excellence remains a steady criterion for admissions. Additionally, language proficiency can be another parameter for pursuing courses in Political Science in the USA. 

Documents Required

International students should have the following documents ready to apply to any top University in the USA to study Political Science. 

  • Academic transcripts in English only
  • ID proofs
  • An updated resume
  • Passport photocopies
  • A portfolio
  • CV
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Proof of work experience, if any
  • English language proficiency test score
  • Proficiency Test

The top Universities in the USA require international students from non-English speaking countries to produce language proficiency test scores. For IELTS, the minimum requirements vary between 6.5 and 8. For TOEFL, the acceptable score remains between 100 and 103. 

Visa Process

When a student gets a letter of acceptance from a University, the visa application process should begin without delay. 

  • Apply for the Visa online.
  • Pay the processing fee. 
  • Get yourself a health insurance policy.
  • Submit the accommodation proof.
  • Submit the admission letter copy.
  • Submit your bank statement along with the income source details.
  • Submit a copy of your passport (must be valid for the next six months at least)
  • Attach the tuition fee payment confirmation.

Cost of Political Science Courses in USA

The USA is undoubtedly one of the best places to pursue higher education. The country invests a lot in research and development and keeps the learning environment progressive and adaptive. Here is an idea about the cost of studying Political Science in the USA. 

1. Tuition Fees

International students willing to pursue a UG degree from a USA University might have to pay around $30000-$40000 for a Bachelor’s degree and $50000 to $ 60000 for a master’s degree. 

2. Cost of Living

  • Living in the USA can cost around $1500 per month.  
  • Accommodation: $150
  • Transport: $100
  • Food: $150 to $200
  • Miscellaneous: $500 to $600

Scholarships for Political Science Courses in USA

The following scholarships make studying Political Science in US universities more affordable for international students. 

  • Enid Hall Griswold Memorial Scholarships
  • COAG Scholarship
  • Truman Scholarship
  • Mckelvie Scholarships
  • Betty Rendel Scholarship 

Besides these scholarships, several other financial aid and scholarships remain available for international students in the USA.  

Job Opportunities on Completing Political Science Courses in USA

Students with a degree in Political Science from a reputed US university can find jobs worldwide. They can be a part of the public sector, private sector, teaching, research, policy making, social development sector, and more.  Graduates and post-graduates from the top Universities always find the best opportunities in the market after completing their courses. 

FAQs 

Is extending the Visa after completing a course in the USA difficult?

No, it is not. Students can extend their visas and look for jobs in the USA after their courses.   

How long does completing an MA in Political Science in the USA take?

Generally, the postgraduate courses are one year long in the USA. However, students should check the University's website for more details. 

What is the average salary of graduates in the USA?

A graduate in the USA can earn around $80000 every year. 

Is the USA a good place for Indian students to study?

The USA is among the best places for Indian students to pursue higher studies. 

Study Abroad
Study in USA
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants