Space Studies in USA - Admission, Requirement, Course, Cost, Scholarships, and Careers

Study Abroad Team 30/01/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The United States of America remains the world's most popular destination for international students. Space studies is an exciting and hands-on program. There are a variety of space disciplines. By studying under these disciplines, students can go on to work in world-famous organizations like NASA. NASA is a leading space research organization for its civil space program and aeronautics research.  Studying in USA will be a great option.

Working for NASA can be a dream come true for many international students. Studying space studies at the top universities in the USA can be a stepping stone for making this dream come true.

Highlights of Space Studies in USA

Space Studies involves the knowledge of space engineering, science, program management, and policy. A student studies and researches academic fields like advanced engineering, biological, and physical science classes. Space studies programs train students to become potential space scientists. They also equip students with the tools to face the complex challenges incorporated into the U.S. space policy. 

Students also study human and robotic space exploration and the role of science in space exploration and technology development.

Students are taught about more than just the world of space science. They are also trained to implement these scientific concepts in business and governmental settings. Space studies students also need to learn the ethical impact of the strides of space science. Students need to understand how these scientific strides in space science impact policy-making, inter-governmental communication, and overall global human development.

Why Study Space Studies in USA?

Organizations like NASA emphasize creating new opportunities and inspiring the world by discovering questions related to space science. This vision is supported by value for humanity by answering fundamental questions related to space research. American universities offering programs in space studies support NASA's idea through its modules and research-oriented academic units.

Studying space can help students and researchers understand space's nature throughout the universe. By checking space research, students can go on to do ground-breaking research in many areas. These areas include the possibility of colonizing space to survive. 

Space exploration is another feat to cover, helping national security and utilizing raw materials from space. It also includes inventing space exploration devices and machines and enhancing and supporting collaborative space research between nations. In futuristic scenarios, space research can help scientists protect the planet from catastrophic asteroid impacts.

Types of Space Studies in USA

The Master's programs in Space Studies taught in the U.S. are:

  • MSc in Physics- Astrophysics
  • MSc in Space Studies
  • MSc in Space Systems Engineering
  • The Bachelor's programs in Space Studies taught in the U.S. are:
  • BSc in Astrophysics
  • BSc in Aerospace Administration and Operations
  • BSc in Space Physics
  • BSc in Astronomy and Astrophysics
  • BSc in Astrogeophysics
  • BSc in Earth and Space Exploration
  • BSc in Applied Physics
  • BSc in Planetary Science

List of Universities Offering Space Studies Programs in the USA

  • California Institute of Technology- This university, also called Caltech, offers graduate programs in aerospace. Students can choose to study from many programs. They are a master of science in Aeronautics and Space Engineering and a doctor of philosophy in Aeronautics and Space Engineering. 
  • Harvard University- Harvard University's Department of Astronomy provides undergraduate and graduate programs in space studies. Students are involved in theoretical, observational, and experimental studies related to space science. 
  • The University of California Berkeley- This university supports research in space-related sciences through its research facilities. It also provides education for the next generation of space scientists.
  • Princeton University- The Department of Astrophysical Sciences at Princeton University offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in space studies. It also has a postdoctoral research program. Their faculty, research staff, and students work on many topics related to astronomy and astrophysics. 
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)- MIT founded the Space Systems Laboratory in 1995. This lab conducts a space exploration initiative for students. Under the Department of Physics, MIT Kavli offers a program in Astrophysics. 

Admission Process to Space Studies in USA

There is a different admission process for students wishing to study bachelor's programs and those wanting to learn postgraduate programs. Students who seek a Master's program need the highest qualification, a bachelor's degree equivalent to that given by the Institute. They are eligible to seek admission to work toward the Master's degree. For a Bachelor's degree, students must complete their high schooling in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics. 

For admission, students must fill out and submit the application form from the university website. 

Eligibility Criteria

International students must ensure they have the qualifications and language requirements to be accepted for admission. If English is not their first language, they must show evidence of English language skills. This evidence is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score.  For Master's programs, students must have a Bachelor's degree equivalent to Space Studies.

Documents Required

The documents that are needed for admission to a Space Studies school in the USA are:

  • Current passport
  • Citizenship certificate
  • Academic transcripts
  • GRE and TOEFL scores
  • University acceptance letter
  • Application fee payment receipt
  • Bank statements
  • Evidence that the applicant will leave the U.S. once they have completed the course of study
  • Change of name documents (if applicable)

Proficiency Test

Universities in the USA will accept the TOEFL exam scores for English language proficiency.

Visa Process

Applicants need an F-1 student visa to study a space studies program. This visa is to look at an accredited U.S. college or university or to learn English at an English language institute.

For an F-1 visa, once the applicant has paid the SEVIS fee, they must fill out the I-20 form. Then, they must pay the visa fee. After that, they need to fill out the D-160 form. They need to submit the confirmation and the visa interview documents. 

The U.S. embassy will then contact them to return the passport and appear for an interview. This interview will be 120 days before the start of the program.

Cost of Space Studies Programs in the USA

  • Tuition Fees- For Bachelor's programs, the tuition fee starts from INR 12,00,000 annually. For the Master's program, the tuition fee ranges from INR 20,00,000 to INR 50,00,000 per year, depending on the university. 
  • Cost of Living- International students' living costs in the USA vary from city to city. For example, in California, the cost of living starts from INR 22,00,000 for the first year. Applicants must check the cost of living for the city they would be studying in.

Scholarships fpr Space Studies in USA

USA has the following scholarship programs available for international students that are common for all programs:

  • K.C. Mahindra Scholarships for Post-Graduate Studies Abroad
  • Unimoni Student Stars 2023
  • Narotam Sekhsaria's Scholarships
  • JN Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship
  • Zolve Global Scholarship

Job Opportunities on Completing Space Studies in USA

As mentioned, students with a space science degree can work in NASA based on their merit and research capabilities. Additionally, there are career opportunities in avionics, aeronautics, and robotics. Space science engineers can design satellites and rockets and contribute to the development of space stations.

FAQS

1. What Is the duration of a program in space studies?

Bachelor's programs last for four years, and Master's programs last for 1-2 years.

2. What is the minimum score for TOEFL to be eligible to obtain a student visa?

The minimum TOEFL score for a student visa is 90.

3. How does one find housing in the USA as an international student?

There are university accommodations provided for students. Students can also contact and talk with current grads for tips on apartment viewings. 

4. Are there interdisciplinary programs under courses in space studies?

Space studies is an interdisciplinary program, and there are programs like Astrobiology. This program deals with the study of life beyond Earth. It studies the universe's origin, evolution, and distribution of life.

5. Can International Students Work and Live in the USA after Graduation?

On an F1 visa, international students can legally work for one year after graduation under the OPT (Optional Practical Training) program.

Study Abroad
Study in USA
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants