Unlock Your Future: Study In The US With IELTS

Study Abroad Team 02/06/2023
5 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Available IELTS Tests And The Fee For Studying In The US
The language proficiency test is necessary for admission to a University in the USA. However, clearing IELTS with good scores can also help students secure admission to several other Universities in different countries. For example, a University in France or UK often looks for IELTS scores. However, studying in the USA for international students often remains subject to scoring high on the IELTS test or PTE score in bands. 

Especially for securing admission to Universities of global repute, an IELTS score can be critical. Nevertheless, students will also find multiple test varieties of IELTS available for people looking for opportunities to go and work or settle in America. The test for different purposes remains different the following list consists of all the IELTS varieties. 

  • IELTS (Academic and General Training)
  • IELTS Life Skill (both A1 and B1)
  • IELTS for Immigration and UK Visas 

To apply to any American university to study MS, MBA, or any other course, IELTS for Academic and General Training remains the appropriate option. A student should check the cost of MBBS in the USA and register online for IELTS exams to make his/her way across the Atlantic Ocean.  

Unlock Your Future: Study In The US With IELTS

Unlike the Universities in Germany or Switzerland, the tuition fee is not nil for American Universities. Therefore, Indian students have to bear a substantial cost, given the exchange rates. The university fees vary from state to state and course to course. 

Many students find the cost of MS in the USA pretty high. Aspirants should check if the University offers any scholarship options. Partial or full scholarships can help them continue their studies in the USA in more ways than one. 

The Best Universities Accepting IELTS in the US
Several Universities in the USA accept foreign students from across the world. Every year, a substantial number of Indian students cross the Atlantic to join some of the best institutions in America. 

Admission to most of the top-ranking Universities in the US remains subject to achieving a certain score in the language proficiency test, IELTS, or TOEFL examinations. Check the list to know the exact score band a student needs to apply to a certain University. 

Score Band 8

  • Brown University

Score Band 7 to 8

  • MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
  • Yale University
  • California Institute of Technology 
  • Harvard University
  • The University of Chicago
  • Johns Hopkins University
  • Columbia University
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • University of California, Los Angeles
  • University of Washington
  • Northwestern University 

Score Band 6 to 7

  • The University of Texas at Austin
  • University of Southern California
  • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  • The Pennsylvania State University
  • Purdue University
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Pittsburgh
  • Indiana University Bloomington
  • Michigan State University
  • Case Western Reserve University

Score Band 6 or Less

  • Rutgers University- State University of New Jersey
  • University of Florida
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • Arizona State University
  • Texas A&M University

Eligible IELTS Scores To Get Admission Into American Universities
As the above list shows, most Universities in America accept IELTS scores ranging between 6 and 8. To get admitted to any prestigious institution like Chicago University, Harvard University, MIT, etc., a decent score of 7 generally suffices the requirement. 

For Indian students aspiring to study in the USA, the focus should be to get into the band of 7 to 8. They can apply to the top US universities for different courses. 

Nevertheless, some American universities test the English language proficiency of the applicants separately. For these Universities, IELTS scores are not mandatory. Individual departments of these universities carry out tests to assess the language proficiency of the applicants. 

On the other hand, if a student has a certificate confirming that the medium instruction for his/her school level or college level education was English, he/she can apply to certain Universities as well. 

Here is a list of Universities in America that do not ask for IELTS scores and instead follow either of the two methods mentioned above. 

  • Rice University – Here the alternative mode of language test is Duolingo.
  • The University of Dayton – Here, the alternative language test is PTE/Duolingo
  • The University of North Alabama – Here, the testing mode remains TOEIC. 
  • California State University – PTE (Pearson Test of English) is the criterion here. 
  • National Louis University – This University assesses the language skills of foreign students through PTE.
  • University of Colorado Boulder – This University organizes the Duolingo test for foreign students
  • The University of Delaware – The alternative testing method is ELI or English Language for Internationals.
  • The State University of New York – This one organizes Duolingo/ PTE/ Cambridge English Scale for foreign students. 
  • Northwood University – This one has multiple options for testing Foreign students' language proficiency. Students have to appear for EIKEN/PTE/ Cambridge English Test. 
  • The University of New Orleans - English Language for Internationals or ELI remains the sole method of testing language skills at this University. 

Basic Requirements for Booking an IELTS Test For The US
To sit for the IELTS examination to apply to top American Universities, students must follow the procedure mentioned below. 

  1. To begin with, the aspirant must visit the online portal of IELTS USA and create an account following the registration system. 
  2. The students will find two types of tests enlisted there. Since students' objective remains to go abroad to join an American university, they should select the Academic option.  
Study Abroad
Study in USA
Test Prep & Exams
Foreign Exam
IELTS Exam
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants