The Ultimate Guide On Student Visa To Russia - An Overview

Study Abroad Team 18/07/2023
7 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

Student Visa Application Process in Russia for International Students 

A growing number of students travel to Russia to pursue academic programs from some of the world's most prestigious universities and broaden their skills. The reasons are evident – the country has an excellent education system and boasts high living standards. Diverse cultural experiences and a safe socio-political environment also make Russia a preferred destination to study abroad. 
The Ultimate Guide On Student Visa To Russia - An Overview

International students who want to visit and study in Russia must apply for a Student Visa and get approved. The application process for a Student Visa in Russia is as follows: 

  • Choose a preferred program and university: Foreign students have a wide range of study programs to choose from, including Bachelor's degrees to Master's, Specialist, Doctorate, career advancement, or professional training. The students also have a wide choice of top-notch universities to choose from. To apply for a visa, the student should enroll in an eligible academic program and obtain an invitation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. 
  • Prepare all required documents: Before applying for a visa, the students should prepare all necessary documents, as discussed in the next section of this article. 
  • Complete the application form: Russia currently does not accept online visa applications. The candidate must visit the Russian consulate or embassy in their home country to apply for a visa in person. They must fill out an electronic copy of the student visa application online and take a printout to take to the Russian embassy or consulate.    
  • Pay the fee: The applicant must pay the visa processing fee upon submitting the student visa application and required documents. It varies depending on the country the student is applying from and the processing time chosen. In addition to the visa fee, an additional service charge is applicable. 

Eligibility Criteria to Apply for a Student Visa to Russia 

Before applying for a Russian student visa, it is essential to know the eligibility requirements. Here are a few criteria the applicant must fulfill to obtain a student visa. 

  • The student must be enrolled in an eligible education program or training from an approved institution or university in Russia. The enrollment must be confirmed in the form of documentary proof. 
  • In addition to the enrollment document, the student must also have an invitation to Russia issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia.    
  • The student must hold a passport with a validity of at least 6 months from the travel date. 
  • They must also fulfill all necessary health requirements laid down by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The applicant must take a medical test before visiting the country and provide necessary documentary proof. 
  • International students visiting Russia must also provide proof of sufficient funds to cover their education and stay in the country. 
  • The candidate must have adequate travel insurance to apply for a visa, study, and live in Russia. 

Essential Documents While Applying for a Student Visa to Russia 

To proceed with the Russian student visa process, submitting a set of documents along with the visa application is important. The required documentation may vary for students from different countries; however, the standard documents that the students will need are discussed herewith. 

  • The applicant needs to submit a photocopy of their passport (take along the original passport) at the Russian embassy or consulate. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of visa application. It should also have at least two blank pages. 
  • The student may complete the visa application form online but must take a printout of it to submit during the interview. The application should also come with a cover letter clearly specifying the purpose of the visit and intent to leave the country after completing the course.  
  • International students applying for a student visa in Russia must have an invitation issued by the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Russian Federal Migration Service agency, along with the certificate of enrollment from the institution or university they have applied to. 
  • Before applying for a student visa, the applicant must take an HIV test and submit the document at the time of application. The HIV test certificate must be valid for 15-30 days but not more than 3 months from the date of application. 
  • The students must also submit documents as proof of sufficient funds to support their education and stay in Russia. 
  • The visa application should also accompany the applicant's recent photograph per the specifications. 

Specifications of Photo to Be Attached for Student Visa

 

The student visa applicant must provide a recent color photo that is not more than six months old at the time of application. However, there are certain specifications to be followed: 

  • The photo must be of size 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm 
  • It should be on a light background (preferably white) so that the student's facial features can be easily distinguished from the background. 
  • The photograph should be printed on normal camera print and photographic paper. 
  • It should highlight the full face of the applicant. The photo should be non-smiling and the applicant must not wear a hat or cap, sunglass, or other head covering unless it is for ethnicity or religious purposes. 
  • The share quality of the photograph should be high, with a clear focus on the face. 

Student Visa Validity in Russia for Indian Students

The validity of a student visa in Russia is 90 days; however, the visa validity date will correspond with the dates provided on the invitation letter issued by the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The student can apply for a visa extension up to 1 year and it can then be renewed for the duration of the course. 

Cost of Student Visa to Russia 

International students must pay a specific amount of fee for student visa processing. However, this varies based on various factors such as the applicant's nationality, type of student visa, duration of the period of stay in Russia, number of entries intended during the validity of the visa, and processing time. 

For students from India, a single-entry visa with a 7-days processing time will cost around 37,6 EUR. A double-entry or multiple-entry (if applicable) student visa with a 7-days processing time will come with a fee of 112,8 EUR. It is advised to contact the nearest Russian embassy or consulate to know the visa processing fee and other charges applicable. 

Is it Possible to Switch Between Visa Types in Russia? 

The student visa holder cannot switch between different visa types in Russia. The purpose of visiting the country must be clearly stated during the visa application and followed throughout the stay. If the student is found not fulfilling the purpose and engaging primarily in other activities, he or she may be deported and the visa will be canceled. 

To apply for a new visa type, the candidate must leave Russia and apply for the visa from their home country. Once they obtain the visa, they can re-enter the country. So, suppose a student is living in Russia under a valid Student Visa. After completing the course, he or she wants to continue living in Russia and work with an eligible employer. For this, they must apply for a Russian work visa from their home country only. They must leave the country upon completion of the visa validity and their course. 

Conclusion

Applying for a student visa to Russia is simple; though, the applicant cannot apply online. They must visit the nearest Russian consulate, embassy, or visa center with all the required documents to complete the procedure. Once they obtain the visa and enter the country, they must complete a migration form at the airport and retain the migration card throughout their stay in Russia. Without this migration card, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can deport the visa holder. 

Study Abroad
Visa Application
Study in Russia
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants