University of New South Wales (UNSW): Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 19/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of New South Wales (UNSW), also referred to as UNSW Sydney was established in 1949 as a public research university. The university, located in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, is also known to be one of the founding members of an organization comprising research-intensive universities in Australia called the Group of Eight.

The University of New South Wales is a qualified member of Universitas 21, which is a global network comprising multiple research universities. The university has strong research and exchange-based partnerships with more than 200 universities across the globe, for those interested in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics or STEM. Apart from being one of the most credible universities to study in Australia, UNSW is also one of the top-ranking educational institutions in the world.

The university has as many as seven faculties, and international students can choose from a wide range of courses and programs that enable them to earn their bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees. While the university's primary campus is located in the Eastern Suburbs of Kensington, the creative arts faculty is based in Paddington. UNSW Canberra at ADFA, which is the second largest campus of the university, is based in Canberra.

University of New South Wales Highlights

The University of New South Wales is known for its emphasis on research-driven academic facilities. The university’s belief in research and its benefits can be gauged by its several research stations in different parts of New South Wales. Regardless of the course or program a student has enrolled in, they can be sure about getting all the resources they need to research or delve deeper into their subject of choice.

The University of New South Wales had humble beginnings. Before the university was formally established in 1949, certain classes were conducted with 46 students in March 1948. These students had enrolled in courses like mechanical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, and mining engineering.

When the university was initially set up, it offered only specific courses. However, even then, the university quickly made a name for itself as an educational institution that encouraged innovation. While the faculty members imparted theoretical knowledge, they also put a lot of emphasis on practical training. Because of this reason, students get a good head start in their professional careers once they finish college.

As far as graduate employability is concerned, the UNSW is always ranked as one of the top 30 universities in the world. Apart from providing students with good internship and placement opportunities, the university also prepares them to excel in their professional careers.

University of New South Wales Admissions

The University of New South Wales provides educational facilities to nearly 59,000 students at any given time. It also has a research community comprising 7,000 students who wish to opt for higher education in the country.

More than 145 programs are offered at the undergraduate level, and over 280 courses are provided at the postgraduate level to students at the University of South Wales. The university also provides students with four diploma programs and a few well-structured foundation studies programs.

Undergraduate Admissions at University of New South Wales

The University of South Wales offers international students as many as 145 courses at the undergraduate level. Some of the most popular disciplines for international students happen to be medicine, engineering, law, business, environment, arts, and social sciences.

Suppose an international student has completed their IB degree or 12 qualifications in Australia. In that case, they can opt for a UAC Application to apply for an undergraduate program at the University of New South Wales. Other applicants have to apply using the UNSW Application.

For early-bird applicants, the application fee for an undergraduate program is 70 AUD. For standard applicants, the application fee is 200 AUD. While applying for a UG program offered by the university, an international student has to download an application form, fill it up properly, and submit it along with their English proficiency test scores, a document serving as their proof of employment, a copy of visa certificate and passport.

Since the University of New South Wales is based in Australia, international students must procure an Australian student visa. To get a student visa, an international student needs to fulfill some important requirements within a given time frame.

An international student can use a Document Checklist Tool to get information about all the documents needed to apply for an Australian student visa. The documents a student needs to have at their disposal are a birth certificate, proof of financial support, health insurance, confirmation of enrolment, scores of the different examinations one must clear to study in Australia, and a copy of a passport.

It is important to remember that the minimum score or percentage required in an examination depends on the course or discipline the student is applying for. If an international student is interested in disciplines like art and social sciences, art and design, science or engineering, a minimum score of 6.5 on an IELTS test would be sufficient. However, if international students want to enroll in the built environment, medicine, business, or law, they must score at least 7 on the same test.

Graduate Admissions at University of New South Wales

The University of New South Wales offers more than 280 degree programs and several certificate courses at the graduate level. The applicant gets the opportunity to choose from multiple disciplines like art and design, arts and social sciences, medicine, built environment, law, business, and science.

The application process for graduate programs is quite similar to the UG programs offered by the university. The application fee, too, is the same. By applying early, a student can save substantial money on the application fee.

While filling up the application form, the applicant must ensure that information is entered correctly. To enroll in a graduate program at the University of New South Wales, an international should is expected to have a bachelor’s degree. They also have to submit the scores they had received in various study-abroad exams like the IELTS, PTE, and TOEFL. Along with a visa certificate, they must also submit a copy of their passport.

Since graduate courses are of different types, their requirements also vary from one another. If an individual is interested in doing an MBA program at the University of New South Wales, they must have some work experience. However, work experience is not mandatory for those who wish to do a master’s in engineering or architecture.

University of New South Wales Scholarships

Before applying for a course offered by the University of New South Wales, international students must check if they can avail of some scholarship or financial aid. The university provides students financial aid in different forms like loans, grants, and scholarships.

One of the most popular scholarships the UNSW offers is the UNSW Business School Scholarship, which is given out at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. This scholarship is given to students based on merit or their grades. While 5,000 AUD is given at the undergraduate level, meritorious students get 10,000 AUD at the postgraduate level.

The University International Postgraduate Award is a scholarship given to research scholars for engaging in Ph. Ph.D.-level research work for three and a half years. Those who receive the UNSW Art and Design International Scholarship receive an amount of 5,000 AUD based on their academic performance.

Study Abroad
Study in Australia
studyinaustralia
universityofnewsouthwales
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants