National University of Ireland: Ranking, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarship & Placements

Study Abroad Team 26/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The National University of Ireland, more commonly known by its abbreviated form NUI, can be best described as a federal university system comprising several recognized colleges and constituent universities established under the Irish Universities Act 1908. Established in 1908, NUI serves as the educational base for more than 77,000 students at any given time. 

The university has a long-standing history behind it. In 1845, the Queen's Colleges at Cork, Belfast, and Galway were set up. Four years later, when students started coming and formal classes began, the colleges merged and started being recognized as Queen's University of Ireland. In 1854, the Catholic University of Ireland was set up as an independent university to educate Catholics. The university went through several stages of evolution and finally became known as the National University of Ireland.

National University of Ireland Highlights

  • In 1918, the graduates of the National University of Ireland set up a constituency in parliamentary elections. Between 1921 and 1934, the graduates of the university elected four TDs. The Constitution of Ireland has given NUI graduates the right to elect three members of Seanad Éireann or the Senate. 
  • Those who are members of NUI's governing body are referred to as 'Members of the Senate.' The NUI Senate conducts its meetings in the Phelan Room, which Edward J. Phelan has funded. After the Universities Act 1997 came into being, the size of the Senate was increased considerably.
  • During NUI's convocation ceremony, the Chancellor, the Vice-Chancellor, the Professors, the Members of the Senate, and the Graduates were present. The Convocation elects eight members for the NUI Senate. These members remain a part of the NUI Senate for five years.
  • The chancellor serves as the notional head of NUI. The various colleges and universities that are a part of the institution are run by different people who function as their heads. The five individuals who have served as the chancellor for NUI are William Walsh, Éamon de Valera, T. K. Whitaker, Garret FitzGerald, and Maurice Manning.
  • The university's first chancellor was appointed when it was set up by the Royal Charter in 1908. After that, all the chancellors were elected through convocations. If there is a vacancy, the graduates and staff members are responsible for electing the chancellor.
  • The acceptance rate at the National University of Ireland is 86%. This is one of the major reasons why a large number of international students apply for the different courses and programs offered by the university every year. 

National University of Ireland Admissions

  • An international student can apply for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs the National University of Ireland offers. For undergraduate programs, the deadline is June 1. The deadline for applying for postgraduate programs differs every year. 
  • At any given point in time, NUI accommodates 18,000 students. Out of these, 16% are generally from 115 countries. Domestic and international students undergo similar processes while applying for a course or program. However, International students have to adhere to many additional requirements. 

National University of Ireland Eligibility Criteria

Suppose an international student is from a non-English-speaking country. In that case, they will have to appear for one of the English language proficiency tests and demonstrate that they can write, read, and communicate in the language properly. 

If an international student appears for an IELTS test, they must score a minimum of 6.5 in it. In each component of the test, they must score at least 5.5. When an international student decides to go for a Cambridge C1 Advanced (CAE) test, they should know they must score at least 176 on it. The minimum score required for a Cambridge C2 Advanced (CAE) test is 180. In a TOEFL iBT test, the minimum score should be 88. 61 is the minimum one needs to score in a Pearson PTE test. For a Duolingo test, the minimum score required is 110.

To study in Ireland, an international student is required to apply for an Ireland Student Visa by visiting the official website of the Ireland Naturalisation and Immigration Service. An interview will be scheduled with the Irish Consulate in their country. This interview will take place via video conferencing. 

An international student must submit various documents while applying to the National University of Ireland. Submitting a letter of acceptance given by University College Dublin is mandatory. They will also have to submit academic transcripts featuring details of the institutions they have been to. 

Along with a copy of their passport, an international student must submit two colored passport-sized photographs. Other documents they must submit include health insurance, proof of financial statement, and immunization records.

National University of Ireland Programs

The National University of Ireland allows students to choose from more than 69 undergraduate programs spread across as many as 60 academic fields, including mathematics, languages, science, performing arts, engineering, law, and business. Through 16 academic schools and 5 colleges, the university runs 199 postgraduate programs. International students can apply for any of the courses through the official online portal of the university. The application fee for both undergraduate and postgraduate programs is 35 EUR. 

National University of Ireland Accommodations

The campus accommodation provided by the National University of Ireland is based in Galway, Shop Street, and Quay Street. Shopping centers are very close to these accommodation facilities and transportation facilities are also readily available. Students can also check out some of the heritage sites in the city while occupying one of these accommodation facilities.

The accommodation units offered by the National University of Ireland have all the modern facilities and amenities students could need while living abroad independently. Students get access to a Wi-Fi network, a kitchen, and a bathroom, along with a neat and clean environment.

National University of Ireland Scholarships

An international student planning to study at the National University of Ireland gets to apply for different scholarships. While the government institutionalizes some of these scholarships, some are provided by the university. While applying for a course the National University of Ireland offers, international students should check their scholarship options.

Regardless of the course or program a student pursues, they will have various scholarship options. The Masters Academic Merit Scholarship can be applied to those planning to pursue a master's program at the National University of Ireland. After getting this scholarship, the student will have a part of their fee waived. Those pursuing a postgraduate degree can apply for the Entrepreneurship Scholarship. 

National University of Ireland Placements

The National University of Ireland strongly associates with several companies or organizations based in Ireland. These companies visit the campus during the placement season and recruit students after interviewing them and reviewing their profiles. Many students get good placement opportunities every year through the university. 

The company's official website dedicated a career section for students to apply for jobs and internships. This initiative by the university has made it much easier for students to land professional opportunities while or after pursuing their courses. 

You might also interested in Other Universities for Studying in Ireland:

Study Abroad
Study in Ireland
National University of Ireland
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 160 Answers - 166
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants