University College Dublin: Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarships and Career Opportunities Sulekha Study Abroad

Study Abroad Team 26/03/2024
2 Mins Read

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

University College Dublin, established in 1854, is a public research university based in Dublin, Ireland. The educational institution, which provides educational facilities to more than 38,000 students at any given time, is the largest university in Ireland and is also known for being a member institution of the National University of Ireland. 

For more than a century, the university has maintained its impeccable reputation, which is one of the biggest reasons why many international students apply for the different courses to Study in Ireland. As many as five Nobel Laureates have graduated from University College Dublin. Three Irish presidents and four prime ministers from Irish have studied at the institution. 

University College Dublin Highlights

When a college has been around for more than a century, you can expect it to go through different stages of evolution. In 1854, UCD was set up as the Catholic University of Ireland. In 1883, it was renamed as University College. It was in 1908 that the institution was given the name University College Dublin. In 1926, the Albert Agricultural College and the Royal College of Science became a part of the University College Dublin. The Belfield House was acquired by the authorities to enable sporting activities on campus. 

UCD, as an institution, is known for being politically active and socially aware. Several staff members, alumni, and students from the institution participated in the Irish War of Independence. After singing the much-talked-about Anglo-Irish treaty, four graduates from UCD became a part of the government of the Irish Free State. In the 1940s, University College Dublin emerged as the third-largest educational institution in the country. Since the number of individuals studying at the university was growing quickly, the administration decided to shift the university to a different location and set up a modern campus university.

When the new campus was designed, several new well-designed structures came to be a part of it. The UCD Water Tower, constructed by John Paul Construction in 1972, was something many people noticed. In the year 1979, this particular tower was given the Irish Concrete Society Award.The opening of the Euro Innovation and Technology Transfer Centre in 2003 marked the beginning of a new chapter in the institution's history. The next year, Hugh Brady was responsible for managing the center as its president. 

University College Dublin Admissions

To apply for a course or program by University College Dublin, an individual has to visit its official online portal. They can download the application form from the portal and fill it in with the necessary details. Along with the application form, the applicant would be required to submit a few documents as well.While the application fee for PG programs is 60 EUR, somebody applying for a UG program is not required to pay any application fee. The deadline for applying for a UG program is July 1. For PG programs, the deadline varies. 

University College Dublin Eligibility Criteria

Along with their mark sheets and academic transcripts, a student must submit their degree completion certificate and a personal statement. The university has some country-specific requirements as well. For instance, if an Indian student wants to apply for a UG program, they must score at least 80% in high school. Applicants might be required to submit their GMAT scores for some PG programs.

The courses at University College Dublin are taught in English. If an international student's native language is not English, they will have to appear for an English language proficiency test and get a good score on it. If the applicant sits for an IELTS test, they will have to score at least 6.5. While the minimum required score for a paper-based TOEFL is 580, 237 is the minimum the applicant needs to score in an internet-based TOEFL. For a Pearson (PTE Academic) test, the minimum score one needs to have is 63.

University College Dublin Programs

Along with six colleges, the University College Dublin has 37 associated schools and a plethora of research institutes and centers. For postgraduates, every college has a dedicated graduate school. The six main colleges that are a part of University College Dublin are the UCD College of Arts and Humanities, UCD College of Business, UCD College of Engineering and Architecture, UCD College of Health and Agricultural Sciences, UCD College of Social Sciences and Law and UCD College of Science. 

The HSS Faculty of the college has more than 3,500 students who are pursuing 26 PG programs, 12 UG programs, and 7 research programs. Some of the university's most sought-after courses are in law, journalism, and cultural innovation. The institute of education, which was set up a while back, allows students to enroll themselves in different language programs. The institution has also initiated the introduction of a few early childhood programs. 

University College Dublin Accommodations

University College Dublin has accommodation facilities in as many as 10 different locations. The accommodation cost depends on the type of accommodation facility a student opts for and the kind of facilities they get. Along with on-campus accommodation facilities, students also get to choose from off-campus accommodation.Once an international student gets their acceptance letter from University College Dublin, they have to contact the UCD accommodation office and seek their assistance in getting an accommodation facility. 

As stated earlier, multiple housing locations are managed by University College Dublin. Before applying for a housing facility, students must check its associated costs. If a student opts to live in Roebuck Castle, one of the most premium accommodation facilities offered by the university, they will have to pay 1,265 USD or 1.11 lakhs every month. Somebody on a budget could opt for Blackrock Halls, whose monthly rent is 754 USD or 64,000 INR. 

The university manages many off-campus accommodation facilities as well. Students get five different options: Highlight Thomas Street, From Here, Blackhall Place, Brickworks, Highlight Parkgate, and From Here, Cork Street. At 755 EUR or 66,000 INR monthly, the rent for Highlight Thomas Street is the lowest. Of all the off-campus residential facilities, From Here, Cork Street is the most expensive.

University College Dublin Scholarships

International students get to apply for eight different scholarships offered by University College Dublin. While some of the scholarships are designed to waive off the entire tuition fee of the student, some cover a part of it. Students can apply for scholarships through both online and offline methods.

One of the most sought-after scholarships by international students is the Engineering & Architecture Scholarship. Students hailing from any country can apply for this scholarship. There is also the International Student Scholarship, which waives a part of the fee the student has to pay. The UCD Past Exchange Scholarship has been designed for those who have completed at least a year or semester of the study abroad program at UCD.

University College Dublin Placements

Before providing students with placement opportunities, University College Dublin encourages them to be a part of internship programs so that they get an idea about the way the professional world operates. The top companies prefer students who have some practical experience behind them during the placement season. 

You might also interested in Other Universities for Studying in Ireland:

Study Abroad
Study in Ireland
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 186 Answers - 192
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants