University of Canterbury: Rankings, Courses, Admission, Fees, Scholarships & Placements

Study Abroad Team 25/03/2024

Sulekha Study Abroad: From Expert Guidance to Global Opportunities.

  • Comprehensive Guidance: Expert advice on universities, courses, and scholarships.
  • Top Destinations: Insights into renowned study-abroad countries.
  • Up-to-date data: Information on foreign entrance exams, deadlines & accreditation.
  • Personal Growth: Cultural immersion, independence, and global perspective.
  • Enhanced Support: NEHA Chatbot for instant answers and guidance.
  • Expert Consultation: Personalized advice from verified professionals.

The University of Canterbury is one of the top public universities in Christchurch, New Zealand. The University offers undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs to students across the globe. The engineering and science programs offered by the University are popular among students. The Civil Engineering program offered by the University is ranked 9th in the Academic Ranking of World Universities. The University offers around 100 qualifications in more than 80 subject areas. The campus of the University is located in the suburbs of Christchurch, which offers abundant amenities and facilities to its students. 

  • The University of Canterbury holds the 256th position in the QS World University Rankings. 

  • Times Higher Education has awarded it a position among 601-800th in its World University Rankings of 2023. 

University of Canterbury Highlights

The University of Canterbury, one of the top universities in New Zealand, offers various facilities to its students. Some of the facilities that the University of Canterbury offers are: 

  • It is located in the second largest city in New Zealand. The University offers boundless opportunities for students to study, explore, and relish their student life. 

  • The University invites students and members worldwide to contribute to its flourishing and diversified community. 

  • The University of Canterbury aspires to make research and tertiary education accessible to all. 

  • The University has libraries in three locations, home to numerous learning resources. Students can seek the assistance of student support teams here, who will help them with their study and research needs.  

  • The University has computer workrooms in various locations of the Ilam Campus, and all these workrooms have a standard set of software. 

  • Students can study in three different study groups at the Central Library of the University of Canterbury. The three study groups are silent study zones, the relaxing study zone, and the group study zones and discussion rooms. 

University of Canterbury Admissions 

UG Admissions 

  • Students applying at the University with international qualifications must apply for AES at the university portal. 

  • Interested candidates must select their desired program at the faculty they want to study. Next, they have to verify if they are eligible for the program and check the fees upon confirmation of eligibility. 

  • The students will have to apply online using the myUC portal of the University and upload a few supporting documents. 

  • The students must upload the certificate proving their senior secondary education completion. They also need to upload their certified academic transcripts. 

  • The students must submit an English language certificate to prove their proficiency in the language.  

PG Admissions 

  • Students must have completed a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. They need to upload their previous academic transcripts. 

  • The students need to submit a statement of purpose, resume, and letter of recommendation while applying. 

  • The students are also required to submit an English Language Proficiency Test certificate. 

Ph.D. Admissions 

  • Interested candidates will have to fill out the PhD application form. Here, they would need to state their educational qualification and the name of the institution they have acquired their degree from. 

  • The candidates will also have to state their English Language proficiency test scores in the form. 

  • They will need to upload the required academic transcripts and certified documents along with the application. 

  • Before submitting the application, the students must discuss their research with their potential supervisor. The applications of the students whose research is not approved or supported by the supervisor will not be considered. 

Eligibility Criteria 

UG Programs 

  • Students are required to secure an overall score of 6.0 in IELTS. 
  • Students might also be required to score a minimum of 80 in TOEFL iBT.

PG Programs 

  • Students must score a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS. 

  • Students can also submit their TOEFL iBT score, in which they need to obtain a minimum of 90. 

  • Students also need to upload their GRE or GMAT scores. 

University of Canterbury Programs 

The University of Canterbury offers its students an extensive range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs. Some of the popular programs that the University of Canterbury provides to its students are: 

UG Degrees 

  • Bachelor’s in International Affairs 

  • Bachelor’s in Cultural Heritage 

  • Bachelor’s in Global Societies and Cultures 

  • Bachelor’s in Accounting 

  • Bachelor’s in Economics 

  • Bachelor’s in Finance 

  • Bachelor’s in Human Resource Management 

  • Bachelor’s in Taxation and Accounting 

  • Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering 

  • Bachelor’s in Chemical and Process Engineering 

  • Bachelor’s in Computer Engineering 

  • Bachelor’s in Electrical and Electronic Engineering 

  • Bachelor’s in Software Engineering 

  • Bachelor’s in Health Education

  • Bachelor’s in Psychology 

PG Degrees 

  • Master’s in Accounting 

  • Master’s in Applied Science 

  • Master’s in Anthropology

  • Master’s in Applied Data Science 

  • Master’s in Architectural Engineering 

  • Master’s in Biochemistry 

  • Master’s in Bioengineering 

  • Master’s in Biological Sciences 

  • Master’s in Biotechnology 

  • Master’s in Business Administration

  • Master’s in Chemical and Process Engineering 

  • Master’s in Civil Engineering 

  • Master’s in Geology 

  • Master’s in Human Resource Management 

University of Canterbury Accommodation

The University of Canterbury organizes accommodation for all its students, which suits their needs best. Some of the accommodation options that the University of Canterbury provides to its students are:

  • Halls of residence: The University of Canterbury has agreements with accommodation providers, who manage all the aspects of a student’s accommodation. Students can choose from fully catered or self-catered halls according to their needs. 

  • Private board or homestays: Students have to stay with local families at their homes. These are a popular choice among students whose second language is English. These accommodation options allow students to learn the nation’s culture and adopt English-speaking skills. 

  • Private rentals: A student looking for a more personal and independent accommodation option can opt for rented apartments. These would be a little more costly than the other options, and the students can choose between furnished and unfurnished apartments. 

University of Canterbury Course Fee 

The approximate course fees to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Canterbury are listed as follows: 

  • The course fee for an undergraduate program at the University of Canterbury is 24 Lakhs INR. 
  • The course fee for a postgraduate program at the University of Canterbury is 22 Lakhs INR. 

The University of Canterbury Living Cost 

The approximate cost of living in Christchurch, near the campus of the University of Canterbury, to pursue higher education is: 

  • Rent- 24973 INR

  • Travel- 2081 INR

  • Utilities- 3329 INR

  • Food & Drink- 12486 INR 

University of Canterbury Scholarships 

The University offers various scholarships and grants to its students annually. Some of the popular scholarships that the University of Canterbury offers are: 

  • AECOM Civil/Natural Resources Engineering Scholarship: This scholarship provides financial assistance to Civil Engineering students of the University. It helps them undertake a career in Natural Resources or Civil Engineering. 

  • Brian Morrison Memorial Scholarship in Engineering: This is provided to undergraduate students of the University pursuing their degrees in Engineering. These students are expected to promote racial tolerance and cooperation. 

  • Eamon Molloy Memorial Scholarship: This is provided to full-time undergraduate Asian students at the University. This scholarship provides financial assistance along with the tuition fees.

University of Canterbury Placements  

The University of Canterbury provides excellent employment opportunities to its students through placements. Some of the most coveted job roles of the graduates of the University and their average approximate salaries are listed: 

  • Financial Advisor: 6007099 INR 

  • Financial Analyst: 7573365 INR 

  • Business Analyst: 6851894 INR 

  • Accountant: 4597519 INR 

  • Economist: 5744366 INR 

  • Electrical Engineer: 5792028 INR

  • Civil Engineer: 5938586 INR 

Study Abroad
Study in New Zealand
0 paperCraftAnimation
0
Share
Curious about Studying Abroad? Explore, Ask, Learn!
Questions - 161 Answers - 167
sort by
Most Useful
Recent Questions
sort by
What is the course fee to study MBBS in the USA?
Study Abroad
Neha Posted on 23/12/2023
  • Monika Answered on 20/12/2023

    Studying MBBS in the USA can cost between $30,000 and $60,000 per year, which doesn't include additional expenses like living costs and health insurance. For instance, renowned institutions in urban areas may have higher fees than universities in suburban or rural settings. In addition to tuition, Indian students need to consider other essential costs.

     The approximate cost of living in the USA varies: housing ($1,000 to $2,500/month), food ($300 to $500/month), transportation ($70 to $120/month for public transit), utilities ($150 to $250/month), healthcare (a few hundred dollars/month), and miscellaneous expenses ($200 to $400/month).While the upfront costs can seem substantial, prospective students should explore financial aid opportunities, scholarships, and grants.

    Many universities and private organizations in the USA provide financial assistance to international students based on merit or need. This financial support can significantly alleviate the overall cost of pursuing a medical degree. Researching specific universities is crucial to obtaining accurate and up-to-date information on fees and available financial aid.

    Students should consider the overall environment, quality of education, and potential for research or clinical experience when selecting a university in the USA for their MBBS program. Connect with Sulekha Study Abroad Experts now!

    Read More
    (2)
    (0)
    Ask NEHA Have questions about studying abroad? Ask NEHA, your study abroad companion!
Post Answer

Top Study Abroad Consultants